Skip navigation

36138 Views 138 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2009 4:48 PM by dutch omi RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Previous Next
  • mcjuarez Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    76. Feb 23, 2008 1:06 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Re: Why do you still run?

This has been a great thread to read!  I began running again last January working toward long distance vs. the 2-3 miles I ran in my 20's.   I wanted to see what it was like at 39 and am now ADDICTED to running!  I completed the AFC Half Marathon and my 1st sprint triathalon before my 40th birthday as well as several other fun, shorter runs.  I love showing my kids that you can do whatever you set your mind to.  I love the social aspects of running, my time to run alone for therapy, my body being in better shape than it was a few years ago.   4 weeks ago I had hernia repair surgery and have been craving my runs.  You don't know how much you love something until you can't have it for a while.  I finally get to start walking with a little jogging this week and am anxious to get back to my 4 runs per week. 

Why do I still run?  Because I HAVE to! 

• noelles Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    77. Feb 23, 2008 6:44 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I still run because it keeps me sane. I went through a "sudden" divorce 1.5 years ago and training for a 1/2 let me work through all sorts of things. I was hit hard but if it hadn't been for my runs I would have completely collapsed.

• HashintheBuff Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 23, 2008
    78. Feb 23, 2008 8:08 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I run for mostly for my head.  I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at 42 years old and at 340 pounds.  A couple years and allot of miles and healthier living later I was no longer diabetic and was at 210 pounds and had just completed my first Tri.  2006 was a banner year for my running wife and I.  It was not a smart year for us though.  We both finished the season with some appreciable injuries.  We were planning to take it easy in 07.  In January of 07 my best friend and running partner was killed in a very tragic accident.  My running fell apart.  There was not a run, not a coarse in Buffalo that we had not run together.  I just could not run any more.  I moved into the gym and onto the bike and used my knee as an excuse.  Finally in November of 07 I was able to move forward.  In December I scheduled my knee surgery which I had in January 08.  I am doing my first 5K tomorrow.  I am back and will be using 08 to get back in shape and plan on crushing it again in 09.  I am back.  I could not have done it without my loving and dedicated wife.  I run because I love to run and I have missed it greatly - pain and all.

Attachments:
  • thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    79. Feb 24, 2008 5:23 AM (in response to noelles)
    noelles wrote:

I still run because it keeps me sane. I went through a "sudden" divorce 1.5 years ago and training for a 1/2 let me work through all sorts of things. I was hit hard but if it hadn't been for my runs I would have completely collapsed.

Amen to that.

Noelle, you will get through it, and it will be a lot like running. You will have bad days and better days, and rare moments when everything falls into place and you are filled with a joy you thought you'd forgotten. Keep on the lookout for those moments. They  come when we least expect them, and sometimes when we need them most. And on those days when you most want to quit, when every step is a chore, remember that the crappy days, the hard days, the days you just want to curl up by the side of the road or under the bed and sleep for the rest of your life--those days make you stronger too. Every step makes you stronger, whether you believe it at that moment or not.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Dec 14, 2007
    80. Feb 24, 2008 5:25 AM (in response to HashintheBuff)

Hash, love that last photo. I feel that way about my shins right about now!

• sarafox21 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 14, 2007
    81. Feb 24, 2008 8:49 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I run because....I want to be my own hero!

• JerryX Legend 851 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    82. Feb 24, 2008 2:02 PM (in response to HashintheBuff)

HashintheBuff wrote:

I run for mostly for my head.  I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at 42 years old and at 340 pounds.  A couple years and allot of miles and healthier living later I was no longer diabetic and was at 210 pounds and had just completed my first Tri.  2006 was a banner year for my running wife and I.  It was not a smart year for us though.  We both finished the season with some appreciable injuries.  We were planning to take it easy in 07.  In January of 07 my best friend and running partner was killed in a very tragic accident.  My running fell apart.  There was not a run, not a coarse in Buffalo that we had not run together.  I just could not run any more.  I moved into the gym and onto the bike and used my knee as an excuse.  Finally in November of 07 I was able to move forward.  In December I scheduled my knee surgery which I had in January 08.  I am doing my first 5K tomorrow.  I am back and will be using 08 to get back in shape and plan on crushing it again in 09.  I am back.  I could not have done it without my loving and dedicated wife.  I run because I love to run and I have missed it greatly - pain and all.

Great Hash!  thanks for sharing the photos...i especially liked the foot in the circle and the finger...classic.  You are an inspiration, sir!

Happy Running!

Dec 14, 2007
    86. Feb 24, 2008 6:27 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Jimmy D wrote:

|because I have to use the restroom and time is of the essence!|

|

That's MY line!

• kimmycu Rookie 8 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    87. Feb 25, 2008 5:40 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Jimmy...

I got bit by a dog a few weeks ago! Scared the life out of me. I carry pepper spray now.

I started running in October to train for a marathon. (which is next week) I love the solitude of running, meeting goals, meeting people, being a part of a group, the clothes, the sneakers, the sweat, the aches from pushing myself just a little bit harder each time and most of all....I love it because it's for ME. I also LOVE the sound of sneakers hitting the pavement during races.

Here is a link to my blog, there's a picture of the dogbite on the right hand side.

Kim

http://kimsrunningnow.blogspot.com/

• paulineg Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 11, 2007
    88. Feb 25, 2008 7:29 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I still run because I enjoy it. I love the way it makes me feel afterwards even though I may have been tired and may not have felt like running. It is also a big stress reliever. It's like a pick me up when I may be feeling sad or upset. It just seems to take all that away. And the added benefit of it all is it keeps my weight in check.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points