Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

266930 Views 1,829 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2008 10:05 AM by michaelmack33 Go to original post 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 ... 122 Previous Next
  • parkerand susan Legend 363 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,635. Feb 24, 2008 9:06 PM (in response to Runner Chick'en)
    Re: The iPod conflict brews in racing

*Found this interesting...what do you think Running Chicken?....(Is that your Apache Indian name)?h4. by Paul Petersenh5. Section: Running & Training, Motivation, Music, Training Tips

Well, I've broken down and done it. I have purchased an mp3 player ... and I intend to run with it!

Most of you are probably thinking: +"Well, so what? Welcome to the 21st century!" +It's true, I've been a bit behind. But there's more to it than that. I have to confess that I have been one of those people who not only did not have an mp3 player, but actually +frowned +upon their use while running.

+"It's dangerous, not being able to hear and all," +I would rationalize. I would glower at unsuspecting music-listeners as they ran; assuming that they must be getting in everyone's way during races as well. Not to mention all those mp3-lovin' vagabonds blatantly violating the rules in races where audio devices are banned.

Then a few weeks ago my wife challenged me to fully explain my irritation with mp3 players. I opened my mouth, but then . . . I closed it. I had nothing constructive to say. No real reason, other than I didn't understand listening to music while running. In my own ideals, the wind blowing by my ears should be enough.*

*To hold ideals is fine, except that I chose to then be prejudiced against those who weren't like me. Prejudice at any level stems, at least partially, from a lack of understanding and an inability to see outside one's own perspective (among other issues). It was humbling for me to come to this realization.

!http://www.thefinalsprint.com/images/2007/01/coby_mp3_player.jpg!At that point I decided to give it a shot, to try the running with music thing; to at least see what it is all about. I went to the local music store and purchased a $15 Coby mp3 player. I figured I would start low on the technology scale and work my way up to an iPod if I really liked it. The player is the size of my thumb and weighs half as much.

+"Well, at least it won't decrease my running economy or lower my V02Max," +I thought to myself with a smirk. Nor did it empty my wallet. I had no idea that mp3 players could be so cheap.

My little Coby player has 128 mb of storage, an equivalent to 60 four-minute songs. This would be a paltry amount for most people, but I'm so cantankerous that I can't even think of 60 songs that I like. Fortunately, I soon discovered that many of my favorite NPR shows have things called "podcasts" that I could apparently play on the device. Intriguing.

I then found that in order to download most "podcasts", I needed something called "[iTunes|http://www.apple.com/itunes/]" installed on my computer (although not for which can be downloaded and played on any computer, with or without iTunes! Yea, yea yea - I know - I'm biased - but seriously - they are excellent!).

!http://www.thefinalsprint.com/images/2007/01/itunes_store_screen.jpg!Fortunately, iTunes installation was idiot-proof, meaning I had no problem loading it on my computer and figuring out how to use it. I proceeded to download podcasts of This American Life, Living on Earth, and . Sweet!

To balance out my listening and make me feel less boring, I also downloaded a 1992 +Toad the Wet Sprocket +concert from the Live Music Archive. After all, the early '90s was back when music was still good, right? Even a curmudgeon like me could appreciate that. (True music lovers should also give  a try. A different genre of music is used for  and you can download them iTunes).

The mp3's are now all loaded up and ready to go. I am surprised to find myself eagerly anticipating my run tomorrow; to have Ira Glass and Glen Phillips in my ear rather than the wind. Perhaps I won't like it, perhaps I will prefer the wind. But perhaps this experiment will introduce a new aspect to my running that I never knew was available. I may find a new wrinkle in enjoying an old, beloved activity.

!http://www.thefinalsprint.com/images/2007/01/mp3_runner.jpg!In both life and in our running, opening ourselves to new experiences and new modes of thought can bring us out of our caves of complacency, prejudice even, and expose us to wonderful new worlds. The lessons I've already learned from all this is to seek to understand, to try something new, and to experiment with something I have left alone for many years.

• Lucylocket Amateur 7 posts since
    Feb 13, 2008
    1,636. Feb 24, 2008 9:07 PM (in response to NHSenior)

Cripes Batman sounds like Gotham's heating up again!  And what Island?  I know of an island called conclusions - you can get there by jumping (Jumping to Conclusions hahahahaha) - Batman sounds like it's time to rock out the old gg again!!!  Took the gg and the iPod down to the local gallops training track today for some interval training - it  was fabulous - I couldn't hear the traffic, the tractor, the kids, the trucks, or anything really - horse spooked at everything so there goes that theory!!!  Ah right  - THAT island - well, if you were allowed to take two precious items I can guess what they would be - no, don't tell, me let me guess, pleeeeeeeaaase parkerandsusan ... um, your, um iPOD!!!!!  and spare batteries!!!  Then you wouldn't hear the whinging of the others who are also so BORED that they have nothing better to do than read our posts!!!  Mind you, you'd probably miss out on the opportunity to vote them off too cos you wouldn't hear the call to write with that stupid jumbo stick on old recycled race number cards ... 

On that score too actually, Gotham will be pleased to know that our police force is trying to entice recruits by offering the chance to win an iPod by doing the on-line brain-fry test ... wonder if it's so they can distract themselves from the helpless cries of those who have been tasered or maced!!!  (did that sound too gleeful?).

I know, I know, lot of poop coming from down under (hahahaha - that's appropriate too) but honestly, there seems to be a heap of poop floating around here too!!!  SOme of you are taking it all so SERIOUSLY - this has to be one of the longest threads I have EVER seen on a chat board - wonder if the moderators are ever going to lock it as a topic of if they're enjoying it as much as we are?

Anyhoo .... off to cook tea for the family!  Have fun kiddies .......................

• RKHII83 Pro 166 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    1,637. Feb 24, 2008 9:39 PM (in response to NHSenior)

>>and you get "All I could do was just smile. I guess there is no surprise that "I" tend hang with people who don't let others play the fool in public at others expense.

I tend hang??????

Words.  Use words.  Punctuation would also be nice but at this point you would only get extra credit for proper punctuation.

>>How fragile your cognitive ability seems at times.

Fragile huh?  Old man, I will forget more today than you would learn if you went to school for the rest of your life.  But what about the other times?  You must be in awe of me I guess.

>>How did you go from claiming you will do what you **** well please in the sport to where you state and accept a status of "being allowed" I didn't think you guys need permission?

I realize that dealing with facts takes you to an area you can't function in.  You have demonstrated your inability to clearly convey your ideas and opinion because you construct sentences like a 5 year old and you lace them with twisted subjectivity.  Be glad you are retired - you would be crucified in the real world where objectivity is mandatory.  Unless of course you have figured out a way to make a living as a pathological liar.  Which would make you either a politician or a political science major.  We call them professional whiners.  You are incapable of functioning in my world.  Hint for you skippy - there are a lot more people in my world than in yours.

Take a stroll back down memory lane and try to find one single post where I stated that I would not follow no ipod rules.  All of my posts clearly stated that I would not run in races over 10K that ban ipods, but I would honor no ipod rules for shorter races.  And in races that permit the use of ipods I will do what I want, not because I am allowed, but more so because you can do nothing about what I choose to do.

You remind me of Anna-Nicole Smith (not because you are a parasitic human being) because you both serve the same purpose in life.  No matter how bad a day I have had or how bad things may be going, I can look at you (or her) and be thankful that I am not you.

I anxiously await your next disjointed demonstration that you are not smarter than a fifth grader.

• Runner Chick'en Pro 145 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    1,638. Feb 25, 2008 4:24 AM (in response to NHSenior)

Yep NH, your stuck with many runners who will run with their music device of choice and you can't change that as much as you drool over the idea of doing so

Truly NH, we would have to take you seriously in order to get mad. For me personally, you were written off as serious when you started using slurs.

The one...the only...Runner Chick'en

Jan 24, 2008
    1,639. Feb 25, 2008 4:29 AM (in response to parkerand susan)

Chippewa actually

People just need to open themselves up to new things    Step out of the box!

Oct 17, 2007
    1,640. Feb 25, 2008 9:13 AM (in response to RKHII83)

Hold'en your coat and stepping back a safe distance, RK..

I'm thinking the Proffes'e'or'ay's throw'en down with NH is grounds for a thread felony slap assault on an underage victim..mental age generously estimated at

pubescent teen years..When advised to remain young at heart NH got confused ..he thinks like a spoiled child wtih the viewpoints of a home bound centurian...and that's just the beginning of the downside..

From the guy who in every post "writes" ( term used loosely) that he is a stickler for details, a business executive, and all around knower of everything among twits..comes an aggregiously sloppy, mistake laden, incomprehensible writing method.. worthy of a ransom notefrom a deranged kindergartner on Ritalin..

Rk is a lot of things ..pink chiffon leggings with Batman thongs and jester hats , sciatic fanatic,Dead head with onslaught rigor mortis, mandolining cutie pie...But fragile cognitve ability is not one of those things..as the master of ancient cliches you do not want to take the dull toothpick of your cognitve ablities and show up at a UFC showdown with the Iceman RK Lidell..you wouldn't make itthrough the first minute let alone the first round..Better that you recess on the playground with the younger kids..it's too rough on Rk's monkey bars..cause you the only monkey...

Ok just curious RK..let me get this straight..you wake up every morning and think of Anna Nichole before coffee, and your thankful you are not her..is there something we should know about? are the leggings a cry for help?..Is the Professor wanting to be a Bimbo Professorette and fighting the feeling? you old mandolin pick'en dog you..I never would have guessed!. the leggings are very slimming however..

Oct 17, 2007
    1,641. Feb 25, 2008 9:52 AM (in response to Runner Chick'en)

Ah Princess Running Chicken...Many moons passed since days white man come with lies and promises of safety..

runners ran peacefully through the forrest and the buffalo paths...funky drumbeats of  tribe in heads..redman happy and take many buffallo and make much nice and shake tents with comely maidens..many papoose.. corvette with many ponies...leather leggings and sweat proof war paint...

but bossy white man take redmans rights..he say redman have no rights..redman do what white man say..or sleep in white man jail and fine wampum on credit card...redman not know what credit card is..but know what jail is..

the white man take the red mans land ..and the red mans music...the red man pi_ _ed...  red man fight back. .. Kiawah tribe no more.. now Team Ipod tribe.. attack white man and steal his women..one sun die.. and redman give women back..they worse than whiteman ...

whiteman write on paper many do's and don'ts for red man to follow..redman put x on paper...put x or white man make redman run on reservation for redman only...red man ok with that cause white man dumb as fat beaver..build many dams to block progress..talk more words than stars yet speak with forked tongue and drop buffalo pie and call it apples...redman happy to be with other red man ..and red woman..who run with wolf ..and dance with deer..fly with hawk.. and speak with ancient spirits...only good thing white man bring..Fire Water!! now that some good spirit..make redman whoop war cry and ROCK WHITE MANS WORLD!!! make redman listen to Dead and Hendrix ..redman jam.. Team Ipod ROCK!!!..whiteman blow.....

Oct 17, 2007
    1,642. Feb 25, 2008 10:15 AM (in response to Lucylocket)

Fear not Lucylocket with a lump in her pocket...Gotham is safe..unless you jump out with another conclusion joke...:)

Translation needed: gg? jumbo stick?(my nickname in college:), brain-fry test, (NH's nickname in reform school) cook tea( what Rk does in his jammy leggings before he thinks of Anna).....what have you Zealanders done to our English language...isn't it enough that NH butchers and shreds it like a German sausage maker..for those of us not living in the ankle area of the world please provide Zealand speak for dummies..By the way Ipod shuffles are down to $49 in this part of the civilized world..what does that translate to in the Zealand currency of smooth sticks and pretty rocks...:)

• lahrunner Pro 103 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    1,643. Feb 25, 2008 10:23 AM (in response to parkerand susan)

parkerbatdude, I always find your prolific musings to be witty, intelligent and very entertaining....unlike a certain unmentionable.  But ya gotta stop messin' with my Professor!  Love, though, that RunnerChick has adopted your new moniker for her - RunnerChick'en! 

This princess is off to L.A. on Wed.  Got some tips on reflexology points on my hand to help with energy, but don't tell The Crabby One, because he may try to ban hands from races!   Rumor has it the L.A. Marathon has banned all crabby people with poor writing skills and the initials NH!  Hooray!!  

L.A. is a pod friendly race, so I'll be rockin' and runnin' come Sunday.   I'll try to check in again before I leave!!  

Oct 17, 2007
    1,644. Feb 25, 2008 10:44 AM (in response to lahrunner)

Lah Dude'ess...She Who Must  Run in the City of Angels...

The Prof. can handle three of me while playing Fire on the Mountain on his mandolin with one arm behind his back..I'm an equal opportunity employer of goofyness...

I am quite admiring of your L.A. adventure to the Land of Smog...I hear Paris Hilton will be "so hot" in the marthon this year..Katie Holmes couldn't make it, she's in Cruise rehab...say hi and give her two air kisses per ear for me...remember you are representing Team Ipod Tribe...wear clean dainties, be nice to volunteers, even if thay want to wave their arms and give you things you don't need...and ...and..this is most important...beware the L.A. Stupor...the pile ups are horrendous..and it's always them Ipod Crips and not them empty eared Bloods...peace..and good luck Lah Diddy..

• WayneD Expert 59 posts since
    Sep 5, 2007
    1,645. Feb 25, 2008 11:53 AM (in response to parkerand susan)

Here's another IPOD friendly race:

5TH ANNUAL BANK OF AMERICA CAPITAL CITY HALF MARATHON, COLUMBUS OHIO.

http://www.capitalcityhalfmarathon.com/

From the rules faq:

Can I wear headphones / use my iPod?

We allow responsible use of iPods and other similar devices on the race course. If those using the iPods or head sets are doing so in a way that is reasonable and using common sense there should be no problems. Obviously, runners and walkers need to listen to announcements at the start of the event and be able to hear race, city and other officials during the event.

WayneD

Jan 24, 2008
    1,646. Feb 25, 2008 2:55 PM (in response to lahrunner)

Go and represent Princess Enjoy the race and rock it out! We expect a play by play upon your return.

Jan 24, 2008
    1,647. Feb 25, 2008 3:03 PM (in response to WayneD)

Good for them.  Ipods are also welcome in the 25K I am training for in May!  And thankfully so, I am going to need my music to pull me through some tough hills

Oct 17, 2007
    1,648. Feb 25, 2008 3:58 PM (in response to WayneD)

Wayned... here is the merry go round of ignoring, omitting, and failure to respond regarding the ipod ban by Grandma's Marathon...the first email is from the USATF, color emphasis mine..the blue is my follow up emails to Grandma's Marathon..not one siting of an accident..or discussion of race safety..direct questions ignored..putting the decision exclusively on the USATF. and the USATF saying the rule will allow RD's to do this little ping pong game...this is politics at work...

USATF response to my email

I understood your position. I was just saying that this has been a race director driven issue on both sides of the discussion.  Personally, as long as the rule is followed (since it is also and IAAF rule) by the people competing for the national championships and for an international team, I have no problem.  The challenge that we have (USATF) is that 1/2 the race directors do NOT want the rule and the other 1/2 do want the rule.  On top of that, the race directors rarely enforce the rule even though it exists and it make the race directors that DO enforce the rule look like the bad guys.   I wish it simple but with the society the way it is today, it will only take one lawsuit.   Fred  *******************************************************

Fred Finke, Chair

USATF Long Distance Running Division, USATF Board of Directors

500 Granada Way, Longwood, Fl. 32750

(H) 407-265-6144, (C) 407-435-2418 Finkef@gate.net file

My email to Grandma's Marathon:

*I am a prospective entrant in this years Grandma's ***Marathon. I am inquiring as to your prohibition on music devices..

**Could you explain the race policy and RD rationale behind this prohibition?{color

**{color:#0000ff}Provide any incidents or statistics that you based this decision on..and contact links for follow up on the numbers / incidents.{color

**{color:#0000ff}Has there been a decrease in incidents since the prohibition?{color

**{color:#0000ff}What impact has this policy had on runner satisfaction and attendance?{color

response from Grandmas

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your inquiry regarding the USA Track & Field (USATF) rule prohibiting headphones. As you likely are aware, our races are sanctioned by USATF and we are required to abide by USATF rules and regulations. In late 2006, USATF approved a ban on all portable music devices at all of its sanctioned road races in an effort to provide increased safety for race participants. So in accordance with USATF rules, we began enforcing this new rule at our 2007 races and will continue to do so this year.

In addition, our organization fully supports USATF's decision to ban all portable music devices as racecourse safety is our paramount concern. We believe the elimination of headphone use is a positive safety measure effectively helping to protect all participants.

I hope this information is helpful. Again, thanks for your e-mail and interest.

Bob Gustafson

{color:#0000ff}My email response

**Thank you for your response Bob...

**Fred Finke of the USATF has written that the USATF simply encourages the rule..he states clearly it is the RD"s decision ..and apparantly only a handful of races enforce it..recently it has come to light that the USATF will not allow this probition for the rest of the year or withhold insurance..what is your position on those issues..can you really put the impetus for this ban on the USATF when they say RD's make the final decision..the numbers behind ipod use are significant and growing..many RD's don't see this as an issue...does that effect your decision?{color

Todays Response from Grandma's

Thanks for your e-mail. To our knowledge, the USATF ‘no headphone' rule remains in the Rules of Competition for 2008, and we will continue to educate and enforce that rule during our 2008 events as we did last year. We believe the headphone ban increases the overall safety for every participant, volunteer and spectator.

Thanks again.

Bob Gustafson

Grandma's Marathon

Public Relations Director

P.O. Box 16234

Duluth, MN  55816

Phone (218) 727-0947

Fax (218) 727-7932

http://www.grandmasmarathon.com/

-

• NHSenior Legend 387 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    1,649. Feb 25, 2008 5:07 PM (in response to parkerand susan)

<<<<<<recently it has come to light that the USATF will not allow this probition for the rest of the year

Nice spin Parker. Where did Fred Finks say that?.  "will not allow" are pretty strong words for what he really said.

I think you will find that he essentially said the USATF will not push races into inforcing the rule for now and will not withhold insurance if races don't enforce the rule. NOTHING more.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...