Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8625 Views 43 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2008 3:57 PM by MelissaE RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Iontach Rookie 1,340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Aug 7, 2006 9:26 AM (in response to cardinalfan7)
    Re: Hummus?

quote:

Originally posted by reboot:

If you think a high fat foods are "healthful", I'm certainly not going to stop you, but don't expect me to not comment or alter my opinion. High fat diets have been shown to be unhealthy.

You've (inadvertently) put your finger on it. There is a difference between high-fat foods and high-fat diets.

I think that a diet which includes hummus can be low(er) fat, just as I think that such a diet can include the odd avocado. I honestly don't think that the OP intended to make hummus her only source of nutrition - but maybe I'm not reading it right.

And I think that a diet that consists entirely of hard candy is not a good thing, in spite of having pretty much no fat at all.

• kellohaha Rookie 23 posts since
    Jul 12, 2006
    31. Aug 7, 2006 3:56 PM (in response to cardinalfan7)

personally, i find that my diet of deep fried oreos dipped in hot fudge and smothered on peanut butter mounds is quite healthful.... i tend to only eat things like hummus when i eat all the left over crumbs from between my rolls...

----

'mostly organic, completely natural, totally good!'
    kellohaha is...[/URL" target="_blank">
    AIM (kellohaha)

• teetime Rookie 445 posts since
    Aug 17, 2002
    32. Aug 7, 2006 4:20 PM (in response to cardinalfan7)

quote:

Originally posted by Iontach:

And I think that a diet that consists entirely of hard candy is not a good thing, in spite of having pretty much no fat at all.

Right-o. I sort of thought that the healthful-ness of a food was based on the food's core ingredients. Thus, a food made of lightly processed ingredients (e.g. chickpeas just cooked and mashed, sesame seeds crushed, olives pressed) would be considered quite healthful when compared to something like lucky charms which is no doubt a lower calorie food but in my opinion a much lower quality one.

Reboot, I guess that your view of a healthful food is lost on me?  What might that be?  Lettuce is low fat but also low on other things including calories which fuel active muscles.

• randymar Rookie 2,240 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    33. Aug 7, 2006 5:17 PM (in response to cardinalfan7)

LT has an orange one, with white hybiscus on it. She hates it but I think it's  ...

Huh??? Oh ...

I thought it said "mumu's"

Sorry.

Carry on.

----

Life is Short ... Make Fun of It.[/URL" target="_blank">

400 Beers[/URL" target="_blank">

• LavenderGA Rookie 60 posts since
    Aug 14, 2003
    34. Aug 7, 2006 7:51 PM (in response to cardinalfan7)

There is a Whole Foods near my job.  I really love the Hummus there; I think it's excellent.   And it's also great at Eatiz's too.  I think now  I'll try some of the recipes I've seen posted.

• lauramarie36 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 19, 2006
    35. Aug 7, 2006 10:17 PM (in response to cardinalfan7)

Great. Now I'm hungry for hummus.  Gots to go have me sum ah dat.

• ljwoodw Rookie 485 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    36. Aug 7, 2006 10:48 PM (in response to cardinalfan7)

I like that reboot is at least questioning a notion that is often fairly carelessly tossed about.  I've made similar comments about peanut butter before.  Just because something is comprised of "good" fats, does not place it beyond reproach.  If that were true, then we could guzzle entire bottles of olive oil with impunity.  Hummus must be considered a high-fat food, since 48% of its calories come from fats.  Not that fats are necessarily "bad", but most diets don't recommend more than 30% of calories from fat.   That means that it must be offset by low-fat foods.  In an otherwise balanced diet, hummus might tip the scale toward too much fat.  Paired with a dearth of other vitamins and minerals, an argument could certainly made that it should be consumed carefully.

It is also true that most of us don't need any more fat in our diets, even us vegetarian types.  I doubt it's unusual for some vegetarians to eat more fat than the average omnivore, especially those of us who have been guilty of sticking our finger in the peanut butter jar from time to time...

• kxs Rookie 37 posts since
    Jun 28, 2006
    37. Aug 8, 2006 9:11 AM (in response to cardinalfan7)

but you can make it without the fat, at home I don't think anyone would make hummus with 48% fat???? and its still good...
    how can humus start such an argument? what is the point? and I ended up thinking about this argument when eating it yesterday--not cool!
    so now some happy hummus talk-I like red pepper hummus, olive hummus, plain old hummus, chili hummus, jalapeno hummus, garlic hummus and artichoke hummus. Avocado hummus sounded good, but just tastes like guacamole, which is good too. I like it on crackers, carrots, pasta, pita, and my finger.
    MMMM

• lonesome dove Rookie 49 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. Aug 8, 2006 1:50 PM (in response to cardinalfan7)

I love hummus too.  It is da bomb.  I like it best with pignoli nuts, whole chick peas, and loads of olive oil on top.

• kellohaha Rookie 23 posts since
    Jul 12, 2006
    39. Aug 8, 2006 1:50 PM (in response to cardinalfan7)

i think the point is that 1 tbsp of hummus every once and a while can be part of a healthy livestyle but eating a tub of the stuff is bad... so what if theyre 'good' fats.. too much of anything is never 'good'... even drinking too much water can kill you!

----

'mostly organic, completely natural, totally good!'
    kellohaha is...[/URL" target="_blank">
    AIM (kellohaha)

• Deb117 Rookie 18 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    40. Aug 8, 2006 3:28 PM (in response to cardinalfan7)

mmm... hummus.

Try using it instead of tomato sauce on a veggie pizza. It's good 

• vhm1 Rookie 68 posts since
    Jul 23, 2006
    41. Aug 9, 2006 8:11 PM (in response to cardinalfan7)

Wow.  The hummus thread remains on page 1 of the newbie forum. 

Must admit I've never before seen hummus referred to as "bad" or "a treat." Hummus is a staple of middle eastern, mediterranean, and north african diets. And I'll pre-empt any argument that quarter pounders are a staple of american diets by saying there is no nutritional or historical comparison between hummus and the quarter pounder.

The primary ingredient in all hummus recipes and brands should be garbanzo beans (chick peas). I happen to have a can right here in front of me: a 1/2 cup serving contains 2 grams of fat, or 3% of a daily value and 9 grams of fiber, or 36% of a daily value. The sodium is high - 21% of your daily intake. This is why you should always drain and thoroughly rinse any type of bean before eating it. Add a small amount of kosher salt to a hummus recipe - remove the salt from the canned beans.

I have ordered hummus in restaurants that is, admittedly, too oily. This hummus is usually very thin. Too much tahini may also be the culprit. Tahini is a smoothed sesame seeds that is rich in unsaturated fats Hummus should be thick like a paste.

As Joan Benoit Samuelson says in her book Running for Women, "beans are a nutritional powerhouse, and those at the very top of the list include soybeans, pinto beans, chickpeas (garbanzos and ceci) and lentils."

----

Here comes the sun. It's all
    right.

• SanDiego runner Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2008
    42. Feb 28, 2008 3:44 PM (in response to cardinalfan7)

Hummus is good for you, but just like guacamole, it's better if made from scratch in the healthiest way possible and eaten in moderation.  One last thing, ignore anorexic people like "reboot".  I know people like this and they want you to become crazy like them!  They try to make you feel bad for eating anyting but vegetables.  Take if from a fit, healthy, normal person, hummus is a great alternative to other tempting foods.

• MelissaE Community Moderator 39 posts since
    Jun 7, 2007
    43. Feb 28, 2008 3:57 PM (in response to cardinalfan7)

Of course Hummus is healthy!  Here's my recipe:

Pesto Hummus

Ingredients

• One Can Garbanzo beans

• 2-3 Cloves of Garlic-minced

• 2 tbsp Lemon Juice

• 3 Tbsp Olive Oil

• 2 Tbsp Tahini (sesame seed paste)

• Salt to Taste

• ½ Cup Pesto Sauce (jarred or homemade- see below)

Pesto Sauce:

• One handful of basil

• 1/3 Cup Toasted Pine Nuts (sauté over stove top w/olive oil until golden brown)

• ¼ cup Olive Oil

• Salt to Taste

Boil Garbanzo Beans for 30 minutes.  Drain (leave a little water) When beans are soft, mix in all ingredients in the pot.  Scoop into blender.  Blend until pureed. 

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...