Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4088 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2007 10:58 PM by Grzldvt RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Tramps Amateur 13 posts since
Aug 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2007 11:15 AM

Goodbye Boomers

With at least two viable alternatives at Kickrunners and Runningahead, I suspect I won't be the only one leaving Active. I thought it might be good to have a thread to let people say goodbye.

The people on CR were very important in getting me started running in a smart, injury-free way. I thank you all for the advice you have given over the last couple of years and, just as important, for all the laughs.

Best of luck to all of you, wherever you end up. I'll always remember each and every ******* one of you.

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    1. Dec 20, 2007 11:26 AM (in response to Tramps)
    Re: Goodbye Boomers

Tramps, I'm sorry to see that you're giving up on this site after only a few days of letting them work out the problems. It's not like the other sites that you mention have been without initial teething problems. In the early days, Kickrunners was down about every couple of hours with traffic overload and hacker attacks (and they're down again right now AFAIK).

Why not do what I did with KR: just stay off the site for a couple of weeks and then go back and see if it's improved. You know you can't stay away from all your old friends here forever!

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    2. Dec 20, 2007 11:33 AM (in response to Tramps)

Aw, Tramps, don't go. I wish coolrunning.com had never been taken over, but it happened and life goes on.

As roch said, the other websites aren't perfect, either.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• mikerose Amateur 100 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 20, 2007 11:51 AM (in response to Tramps)

I hope that you change your mind and stick around a bit longer. If not, I at least want to thank you for all you have done here in the Boomer community. You'll be missed if you leave.

Mike

• mcsolar99 Legend 1,014 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    4. Dec 20, 2007 12:48 PM (in response to mikerose)

hey tramps, i'll race you to kick... awww rats, you beat me...

smell ya later coolactiverunningboomers.  i'm out too.  mc_solar_99 at yahoo dot com.

• Econo011 Legend 1,429 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 20, 2007 1:45 PM (in response to Tramps)

(sniff)  G'bye Tramps

I am floating for a month or two.  I don't know where I'll end up, but I need a break for a while anyway.

((((to Tramps, from your mile 20 curse buddy)))

• Dove02 Pro 185 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    6. Dec 20, 2007 1:48 PM (in response to Econo011)

I'm gone, too, but I'll come back to lurk once in awhile. I'm headed to KR as soon as their migration is complete.  rlydiapooch at aol

-Dove

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 20, 2007 2:13 PM (in response to Tramps)

You will be a great contributor to any site you end up at Tramps, and I'm sure most of us will see you around.  Good luck to you.  You had a wonderful year of running and posting, and are in great shape for a big '08.  Spareribs

• RunstheBitterroot Legend 591 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    8. Dec 20, 2007 3:00 PM (in response to Tramps)

Hi Tramps, well for now I will be posting on both KR and CR.  It is starting look like ease of use and speed of access is going to be the pivotal part of my decision.  When i klicked on the Boomer shortcut in my browser, it took 7 minutes to get in and logged in.  When i clicked on KR I was in within a few seconds.  This was true before they  put in the new server.  I am just thinking though I am sure that actives staff would like it to work better, they are just spread to thin with a multitude of interest and may not have the time or resources to effectively serve CR on a free site.

There is, I think, some sense of loyalty to the Boomer Group and the original owner that I have.  In the 3 or so years of being with boomers, I have been able to get back into running, from the couch and 1/2 gallon of whiskey to running long distances and difficult terrain to atleast completeing a marathon and I owe something to boomers for thier participation in that.  Now a part of the boomers is going to split off.  Certainly the loyalty goes to those who leave and those who stay.  I don't know of anyone that I don't like in boomers but rather admire each person in boomers.  It would certainly be much easier if I were mad at someone or something like that.  It seems almost shallow that something like functionality would make a difference, but in reality, it isn't at all.  Ease of use means that even with my slow connect speed, I can particapate more.  Given that it weights heavily towards going with KR eventually exclusively.

Larry

• DfromOH Pro 121 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Dec 20, 2007 4:39 PM (in response to Tramps)

Even after a couple years of posting, and 45 weeks qualifying under 40/40 in 2007, I never seemed to establish any ties at CR.  Someone actually PM'd me after only a week at KR. Irregardless, the CR site now just has an unappealing look & flavor to it. Too much white space, forums right heavy on my screen, and just when I logged onto to respond, I was taken out of the B&B thread to some Active front page.

Anyhow, I'm heading over to KR as well and deleting my shortcut to CR.

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Dec 20, 2007 5:19 PM (in response to DfromOH)

.......for what it's worth,,,,,,,,

he'll be back if it crashes..........

(sorry tramps,

couldn't stop myself)

• pfriese Legend 276 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 20, 2007 6:02 PM (in response to Tramps)

Tramps,

I know I'll be posting in both KR (daily, weekly, monthly, and RR's) and activeCR (40/40 thread and RR's, plus lurking on the 50+ thread) for awhile. I'll be settling in to KR as my more permanent forum home though, so this isn't really good-bye. I want to thankyou once again for your monthly tally thread. It has been one of my favorite threads and very motivational for my running.

Paul

• SLOjim Pro 365 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    12. Dec 20, 2007 6:28 PM (in response to Tramps)

I have to say that I'm not really comfortable with either site....... I really like the old CR ..... I guess I'm getting old and don't do well with changes.  But I'm stuck.... it's out of my control.  I think my final decision will be.... where are most of my friends posting......  who knows maybe I'll end up posting in both..... but it's definetly too early to make any final decisions.  

• Doctor Wu Rookie 36 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    13. Dec 20, 2007 7:12 PM (in response to DfromOH)
    naphtali047 wrote:

Even after a couple years of posting, and 45 weeks qualifying under 40/40 in 2007, I never seemed to establish any ties at CR.  Someone actually PM'd me after only a week at KR. Irregardless, the CR site now just has an unappealing look & flavor to it. Too much white space, forums right heavy on my screen, and just when I logged onto to respond, I was taken out of the B&B thread to some Active front page.

Anyhow, I'm heading over to KR as well and deleting my shortcut to CR.

I'm done here as well.  I'm starting a 40/40 thread over at Kick.  I just posted a fantasy 40/40 thread for last week and I can't believe I actually forgot you Napthali.  Sorry!

To those of you who say stay and wait for the bugs to be ironed out, I say no.  Too much is fubar around here, they destroyed my running log, the place is impossible to navigate, and it's way too corporate for my tastes.

But it was real fun hanging with all of you.  Stay healthy and strong.  Run and live forever.

Peace.

• Twocat Legend 404 posts since
    Oct 12, 2006
    14. Dec 20, 2007 7:36 PM (in response to Tramps)

My initial foray to KR did not leave me too impressed.  Too many graphics, although I understand you can set your preferences to reduce them.  But maybe if I spend some more time over there it will all become more appealing.  Who knows.  As a fellow long term 40/40 poster I have some sympathy with naphtali047.  CR has a core group for sure.  As for the new forums hard to navigate is putting it too kindly!  It took me way too long to figure out how to return to the B&B area once I left it.  In the end, I am sorry to see some long timers go.  But, I am going to give the new forums a shot and see how it works out.  Some of the new features are really nice.  If the new forums just never do it for me me I will see some of you elsewhere.  If they do work out then I will continue to see the CR posters here!  From what I can tell I cannot lose!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...