Skip navigation

15652 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2008 10:33 AM by Paul828 RSS
maxpowmom Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 3, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 3, 2008 9:17 AM

Spring/Summer sports for a "To be" 5 year old.

I have a daughter who will be 5 in May and want to get her starting in some athletic programs (she's very active).  We have been in Catonsville for 2 years now, and she will be starting Kindergarten at Westchester in the fall.  I want to try and get her to meet some other area kids before hand.  Any suggestions?

• Geoff Skow Active Trainer Active.com Staff 62 posts since
    May 4, 2007
    1. Mar 3, 2008 9:57 AM (in response to maxpowmom)
    Re: Spring/Summer sports for a "To be" 5 year old.

Hello,

Catonsville Youth Soccer has Clinic leagues for 5 (U6) & 6 (U7) year olds.

Here's a link to their website if you're interested in learning more: CYSL eteamz site

Best,

Geoff

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Mar 3, 2008 12:49 PM (in response to maxpowmom)

This is the perfect age for swimming lessons!!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Mar 3, 2008 1:47 PM (in response to maxpowmom)

My older daughter went through the YMCA program, which was excellent.  Since then we have moved and now live closer to a University.  So, my younger daughter takes lessons through the University program.  They seem to pick up the techniques pretty easily at this age (my youngest just turned 5 yesterday!) and it is a great way to burn off some energy and build self-esteem!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    5. Mar 3, 2008 2:43 PM (in response to maxpowmom)

Check out the Y, check out the soccer club, take her with you and see where both of you are most comfortable.

• Geoff Skow Active Trainer Active.com Staff 62 posts since
    May 4, 2007
    6. Mar 3, 2008 2:56 PM (in response to dutch omi)

Hi again,

Came across this article on our site and thought you might be interested: Ideas for kidding around: New ways to get active with kids

Hope all is well.

Thanks,

Geoff

• softball_parent1 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    7. Mar 4, 2008 5:54 AM (in response to maxpowmom)

You might want to consider a martial arts program.  A lot of them such as Karate or Ti Kwan Do teach respect for authority, self esteem , concentration, physical coordination, respect for self, respect for parents, taking care of yourself, healthy eating, positive philosophy of life, doing well in school and develop overall muscles which is everything that a child needs to excell in life and to take into any other area of sports.  They also teach that you never use it against another person except in a life or death situation.  The YMCA and other programs teach it as a self defense class which protects children from the stranger danger thing.

• Paul828 Pro 125 posts since
    Dec 25, 2007
    8. Jul 2, 2008 10:33 AM (in response to maxpowmom)

maxpowmom,

Thought that I would let you know about an activity that we did with both of our children...soccer. They both have been playing soccer since they were 4 years old. We found it to great for the following reasons:

• Everyone is active on the field. Everyone runs and runs and runs

• It is a sport that you can start with no skill or ability and run and kick; how simple is that. Not like having to hit a ball with a bat, or heavy contact of american football, or bounce a ball up and down with all of the rules of basketball.

• Not a lot of rules to learn, just run and play mostly

• wonderful introduction to team sport and the working together, scoring together, laughing, hearing your parents clap and celebrate activity with you

• great stuff

Both of our children play other sports and have excelled at soccer, but that isn't necessary for your "to be" 5 year old to benefit from the soccer experience. Our son has been on his high school's varsity team for three years. He graduates the spring of 09. Our daughter is 12 years old and was  just selected to be on an Adidas 1 team. We will have to really start shelling out money for her now, for travel and team dues. But you won't have to consider those things for a number of years.

Check out the organizations in your area. I am sure there are many. AYSO - American Youth Soccer Organization should be in your area and is great place to start. Google and see what you find. http://soccer.org/home.aspx

Good luck at planting the active seed in your children. They have grown up watching their father train and race. They have always been active. It is a lifestyle not a weekend activity in our house. Hope your family also enjoys similar lifestyle choices.

Stay on top of the ball!

Paul828 http://community.active.com/blogs/p-dog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points