Skip navigation

36136 Views 138 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2009 4:48 PM by dutch omi RSS Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next
  • Cori_A Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Mar 1, 2008 8:32 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Re: Why do you still run?

I still run because I refuse to get old... running keeps me young. I live by the adage, use it or lose it. I want to be that 75 year old lady who can be mid-pack at a 10 miler and still running marathons with the best of them.  Heck - the day I die, I hope it's after my long run that day.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,368 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    106. Mar 1, 2008 9:33 AM (in response to Cori_A)

I'm right with you Mrs.P.  I want to live to a ripe old age and still be running and racing.

Len

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    107. Mar 1, 2008 10:18 AM (in response to Cori_A)

And so do I.

• nowhite Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 3, 2008
    108. Mar 3, 2008 6:35 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I run for many reasons as we all do, but one of my main motivators is what I like to call "run for another." 

Each day that I run, I run for someone.  I run for the people who are ill in the hospital, my friends who are going through a difficult time in life, those who are emotiionally incapable of running, and those who I simply appreciate. 

Running for others allows me to push through my miles, realizing I am a very fortunate person to have my body as a vessel; healthy and capable.  I hope that along the way I can inspire others to acknowledge the motivation from within and from others.

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    109. Mar 4, 2008 9:48 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I just figured out one reason I like to do long distance running.  When you tell someone you just ran 10 miles, 15 miles, 20 miles, they're impressed!  No matter what (slow) pace you ran it at.  I impress myself running those distances! No matter how slow I am.  If you tell someone you ran a 50 yard dash and came in last, they're not going to be to excited.

Chocolate is very nice.
  • SusanaIsa Amateur 37 posts since
    Mar 4, 2008
    110. Mar 4, 2008 9:57 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Hello, I am new to this site and am also a runner. I guess, not a competitively, but I consider myself a runner because it is one of the things that I love to do. I never considered myself to be a runner until now. I run for pleasure, leisure, stress reduction, and fitness. I love running.

• RUNCRYSTAL Pro 93 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    111. Mar 4, 2008 10:09 AM (in response to nowhite)

nowhite wrote:

I run for many reasons as we all do, but one of my main motivators is what I like to call "run for another."

Each day that I run, I run for someone. I run for the people who are ill in the hospital, my friends who are going through a difficult time in life, those who are emotiionally incapable of running, and those who I simply appreciate.

Running for others allows me to push through my miles, realizing I am a very fortunate person to have my body as a vessel; healthy and capable. I hope that along the way I can inspire others to acknowledge the motivation from within and from others.

I thought that I had to know someone personally to run for a cause but you made me realize that I can run for anyone that I do not know.  That is true, we are fortunate to be able to run any distance.  I remember talking to my coworker who was very impressed and proud of me for running the half marathon.  He said he wished he could run but he has bad knees.

So, I also run for other who are not able to.  This will help motivate me through the tough miles.

Don't cry because its over.  Smile because it happened.
  • HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    112. Mar 4, 2008 11:52 AM (in response to RUNCRYSTAL)

Yes, you can definitely run for other people!!   When I ran the MCM last year and didn't know how I was going to make it the last three miles, I dedicated each mile to other people.  Mile 24 was dedicated to my family.  Mile 25 was dedicated to the Marine that would put the marathon medal around my neck.  I thought about his courage and prayed for his safety.  He is willing to put his life on the line for me, for us, and he doesn't even know me!  I figured I could push through a mile just for him!!   Mile 26 (and the .2) were dedicated to me, because I deserved it!  I'm not sure how I would have finished had I not broken down the last 3 miles this way!!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    113. Mar 4, 2008 5:23 PM (in response to SusanaIsa)

Hi SusanaIsa. Nice to meet you. What sort of running do you like to do?

Chocolate is very nice.
  • SusanaIsa Amateur 37 posts since
    Mar 4, 2008

Hi there. It's my first time on here and suprised to have such a quick response.   I am mostly into the longer distances, not much of a marathon runner, but like the 5K or longer distances. The marathon seems a little too long for me. How about yourself? I became interested in running ever since I was very young, I never really paid much attention to it, but always ran for pleasure.

Jan 19, 2008
    115. Mar 4, 2008 7:21 PM (in response to SusanaIsa)

Hi Susana, you're on a good forum here, you should be running marathons in 6 months;)  If you've never run one, this group will give you all the reasons you should do it and all the advice you need to at least start thinking about it.  Welcome.

• MarathonPeach Amateur 15 posts since
    Mar 4, 2008

Because I want to get faster, want to run next marathon in 5 hrs...yeah I changed my friends 5:30 goal....

• John F Thompson Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 4, 2007
    117. Mar 5, 2008 1:01 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I run because most people think I can't.  I'm overweight, and love to point out to anyone that thinks they can't run,  "If I can run, so can you".  I find it very rewarding to complete 3 - 10 miles.  I'm also happy knowing I can do it.

Jan 19, 2008
    118. Mar 5, 2008 1:14 PM (in response to John F Thompson)

You set a wonderful example for many.  A lot of people need to hear that.  Keep up the good work.

• RUNCRYSTAL Pro 93 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    119. Mar 5, 2008 1:22 PM (in response to John F Thompson)

John F Thompson wrote:

I run because most people think I can't. I'm overweight, and love to point out to anyone that thinks they can't run, "If I can run, so can you". I find it very rewarding to complete 3 - 10 miles. I'm also happy knowing I can do it.

Good for you! I am proud of you1

Don't cry because its over.  Smile because it happened.
1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points