Skip navigation

16282 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2009 5:52 AM by bun.on.the.run RSS 1 2 Previous Next
sjf89 Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 18, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 18, 2008 10:39 PM

running shoes

i just bought a pair of asics running shoes. they feel good when running, but a pair of nikes and adidas i had felt great when running in them too. just wondering but what kind of shoes are the best to go with? does it depend on what you run on or what. i am currently stationed in south korea and running here on the streets. is there a particular brand/type of shoe thats better for running or does it just depend on personal preference?

• Marty Schoendienst Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    1. Feb 26, 2008 9:26 AM (in response to sjf89)
    Re: running shoes

There are many reasons on what shoes are best.

First thing is buy the good shoes, don't go cheap.  I use Asics as I have fat feet 2E and they make a 2E shoe. So does new Balance. Nike shoes are too skinny for me. If you want to see what kind of runner you are you can go to the Asics web site. Some shoes work better if you are heavy or have a pronounded running style. The web site should help you. I have used the Asics for the last 4-5 years, and it seems to help cut down any knee and back problems I had with the cheap shoes. Also get running socks. Remember also that running shoes only last about 400-500 miles.

• Miss Princess Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    2. Mar 5, 2008 10:30 AM (in response to sjf89)

The shoes you run in can make a huge difference in the amount of injuries that you may sustain, as well as how far you can run. Prior to the shoes I run in now, I had a pair of adidas running shoes and due to improper fit and type of shoe, and also partially to poor technique I suffered from knee and ankle problems. I went in and had my gait analyzed and was told to try on stablility + shoes. I tried on Brooks, Nike, and a bunch of other brands. I fell in love with the Asics Kayanos which are basically the Cadillac of running shoes. I have a pair of Asics gell 1150's that I wear to spin class or for short runs, and they are comfortable as well. I think that finding the perfect running shoe doesn't have anything to do with the brand-it has everything to do with the fit and your stride. The Asics website is very helpful with proper fitting of a shoe if you don't have a running store easily accessible to you.

Good luck-and don't settle for an OK fit--you want a shoe that your feet want to be in, one that they "ooh" and "aah" over...even if they do know that you only wear those shoes when you are going for a run. =o)

• Angel35 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 10, 2008
    3. May 10, 2008 10:02 PM (in response to sjf89)

I have been running for 20 years. I have tried many brands and many types of shoes. Just like you each one felt great. The only similarity I have noticed is this. The more I run the quicker I have to replace my shoes. Just like everything in life. Things do wear out and you have to replace them. I have to replace my shoe at least every three months. I always seem to go back to Nikes. Ultimately, it is on how you feel in your running shoes which decides what brand or when it is time to replace them. Only you know your body. Take care of it.

• NewbieJ Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 11, 2008
    4. Jun 11, 2008 7:30 AM (in response to sjf89)

I would like to know the same thing... I just learned that there are places that will put you on treadmill to see how you run, and that will tell you what kind of shoes to get. Am I the only one who didn't know this? Where can I go for this?

• Marty Schoendienst Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    5. Jun 11, 2008 7:58 AM (in response to NewbieJ)

I don't know about treadmills but a good running store will have people that can watch you take a little run and give you sugestions. Go to a store that running shoes is what they do; not a big box type place. By watching you run they can get an idea about what shoes are right for you. I would recomend to get the best shoes you can as it will pay off for you in the end. Re: running shoes I know this from the past.

Jan 2, 2008
    6. Jun 11, 2008 11:24 AM (in response to NewbieJ)

I don't know where you are located, so I can't tell you of a small, mom-and-pop place to go for a gait analysis, but I do know that Roadrunner sports has a ton of locations. They have you walk across a special mat to analyze your foot strike pattern, then they have you run on a treadmill for about 30 seconds while filming your feet and calves. They then replay it in slow motion to get a better idea of your stride, over/underpronation, etc. They'll also measure your feet and then provide you with as many options of running shoes as they have for you. They'll also try and sell you insoles for whichever shoes you buy, but in my opinion, you don't need insoles other than the ones that come already in the shoe. Shoe companies make a whole shoe complete shoe, not a fabulous shoe with an inadequate insole. My suggestion? Go, get analyzed, try on shoes without looking at the price tag-find the ones that are most comfy for you, and then buy them. Save the $30 or so that you would have spent on insoles for your next pair of running shoes since good ones can be pricey!

Jun 11, 2008
    7. Jun 11, 2008 11:58 AM (in response to Miss Princess)

Thank you so much! I just started training for my first 5K (which lead to my first half marathon in Nov), and I know I'm going to need the best shoes.

Jan 2, 2008
    8. Jun 11, 2008 12:05 PM (in response to NewbieJ)

Awesome! I am so excited for you! What 5K are you doing? And what 1/2? I'm working on doing a half in October but may have to postpone since it is the day after a 10K mud run!

Jun 11, 2008
    9. Jun 11, 2008 12:15 PM (in response to Miss Princess)

I'm doing a 5K in San Francisco and the half in Santa Clarita. I've never done anything like this, but I was inspired, and now I'm determined. Are you doing the Muddy Buddy?

Jan 2, 2008
    10. Jun 11, 2008 12:21 PM (in response to NewbieJ)

No, I am doing the Camp Pendleton Mud Run in Oceanside, and maybe the Girlfriend's half in Portland. I'm also doing an Olympic Triathlon in Coeur d'Alene in August. I've found that I stay motivated if I actually have an event that I am training for! Good luck finding shoes and in your races!

• nicodemusdog Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 16, 2008
    11. Jun 16, 2008 10:01 AM (in response to sjf89)

I went to a store, did the 'run on a treadmill' and they suggested some Brooks 257 (could be wrong on the number). Ran in them for a few weeks, the felt great and then I got massive shin splints... took a break, got back on the road... splints again.

Took a LONGER break, eased into slower paces and shorter distance... splints again. Switched to an OLD beat up pair of New Balances 880s and everything was fine.

So even if you get them to tell you waht you 'need' be careful because they are not always right. If they are, it's an outstanding feeling! But man did the first half of this year suck for me.

• jcs1mpls Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Jun 19, 2008 8:27 PM (in response to sjf89)

I think there are a couple of important points to consider here when choosing shoes. You should have somebody analyze your stride to determine what kind of runner you are - by doing this you will be able to focus on shoe types that were made for you when you go into a store to make a purchase. If this is not possible due to where you live, etc there is a method you can do by making a 'foot print' (I can't remember exactly how they recommend doing this) and the features that show up will at least give you an indication of your posture, how your feet are planted on the ground, etc which would lead you to make valid assumptions on what kind of stride you might have. Also, look for wear on the sole of your current shoe as indicators of your pronation- greater wear on the treads to one side or the other might be a clue. Lastly, if you can get away with this w/out being sucked into some greater plan, visit a chiropractor for advice.  I am sure they can determine this for you if necessary but it might cost you some money up-front (this is about as professional of an opinion you'll get, however)

Secondly, evaluate how serious you are about making running a commitment in your daily, year-round lifestyle. Shoes are not cheap and you may need to burn through 5 - 6 different pairs before you find the right one. i've been running consistently for about 15 years now and I found the Asics Kayano's were my shoe. I have over a dozen 1/2, 30K and marathon distances, as well as a number of international distance tri's under my belt and all have been run in Kayano's. I had to put down some hard cash to figure this out, but my knees are fine today and I have no idea what lower leg or foot injuries are like because i have the right shoes on. Granted, these shoes retail for about $130, and I cringe everytime I think about having to buy a new pair..... but they have never failed me. I have used every 'version' they've come out with since Kayano VII's (I just bought a pair of Kayano XIV - or 14's if you will- and these are my shoes for the Twin Cities marathon this year). These may not be the shoes for you, but my point is find the right shoe and stick with it. Also, when you find the right shoe check around at the end/beginning of the year to see if these are on a clearance rack. I've been able to get a few pairs of my shoe as low as $79 dollars so the store can make room for next year's model. Just a thought to consider.

My final advice is to make sure you are incorporating some variety into your routine to make your legs, calves, hip flexors, back, etc strong. Many people assume if they just run and run and run they will have strong quads, defined healthy calves and the excess fat on threir rears and tummy will magically disappear. This will happen to some degree but it will not cover core strength training which will target your overall ability to handle the balancing, posture and overall taxation you place on your body during the longer run and higher volume run periods. Besides, you are commited to put in the time to exercise - running is just one facet of many that will get you to the fitness goals you want to achieve. VERY IMPORTANT: do not use your running shoes for anything other than running. Yes, you can wear them around the house and such when they are brand new to break them in, but do not cross-train in them. You will greatly reduce the life of your investment.

• runnerbob42 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 25, 2008
    13. Jul 31, 2008 3:47 PM (in response to jcs1mpls)

I will echo what many of the other have said.  First take a look at your feet. I have wider than average feet, so Nike just doesn't work for me. They are just not cut wide enough. I usually run in either new balance or Asics.  Second, I am about 190 lbs  and I pronate so I need to be really picky about what goes on my feet. I have learned the hard way that an extra $25 or $30 for better running shoes is much cheaper than nursing shin splints and sore knees.  I am currently getting ready for my first marathon in May of 2009. I can't agree more with the cross training advice especially to keep your core as stong as possible. I've gone through periods where I get lazy with my cross training and you can feel it as your other muscles begin to lose their tone.

• badmo Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2008
    14. Aug 2, 2008 1:26 PM (in response to NewbieJ)

You can go to Road Runner's store and they will have you run on "The Road Dog".  It is a treadmill equipped with a camera that video's you as you run.  The sales associate will then analyze how you run and suggests shoes that will be best suited for you.  You can also go to Snail's Pace and there sales staff will watch you run to analyze your running style.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...