Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3267 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 23, 2010 6:17 PM by ColoCorredor RSS
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 5, 2008 12:20 PM

No More Quick Fixes for Shin Splints

Shin Splints are one of the most common and also nagging injuries for runners because of the serious amount of stress continually placed on the joints, muscles and bones. I’m guessing many of you have either suffered from this injury or know of someone who has, so let’s talk about how to stop this extremely aggravating injury. 

I suffered from shin splints one season and the trainers at school had me constantly stretching, icing, and using the ultrasound machine to ease the pain.  Ultrasound therapy uses sound waves, so high that we can’t hear them, to ease painful joints and muscles. So this routine helped the pain, but the shin splints never actually went away until I was resting after the season. I was pretty lucky and haven’t had any problems with shin splints since, but many people are plagued by this injury. So for those who suffer the pain of shin splints or know someone who does the article, No More Quick Fixes for Shin Splints, might be of interest to you. It offers some interesting treatment options:

1. Stretching

2. Support (foot orthotics)

3. Chiropractic Evaluation

Has anyone had success with these treatment options or have any other options they would recommend to those suffering from nagging shin splints?

I also found this video that looks pretty good. It goes through different stretching and strengthing exercises for shin splints.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...