Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2138 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2008 8:32 AM by Michael. RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Long Run Nick Amateur 277 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 5, 2008 8:01 AM

Long Run Nick Misses Old CR Newbies

When CR "died" in Dec I found my way to RA (runningahead). My initial post over there resulted in around 100 repliesmostly good. Some offense was taken by RA folks for pontificating in my first post that was addressed to "CR refugees." Lots of my CR friends "defended" me. Since then I have posted somebut not much reaction. I guess I miss the old CR. Anyways, if "old" CR folks are aroundgive me a shout. I would like to post more hints for newbies as I close in on year 32 of  continuous running and close to 66,000 miles(65,719mi as of today). My motto remains: start EZthen back off. Nick

PS For "old" CR newbies. I finally qualified for Boston in February (age:64/finished marathon in 3:57:48) faster by 12 seconds than my first marathon back in December 1977 as a 34 yr old. Remember: there is no finish line.

• Keikirunner Rookie 152 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Mar 5, 2008 10:39 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)
    Re: Long Run Nick Misses Old CR Newbies

Long Run Nick!  We've been hoping to hear from you again!  Your wise counsel has definitely been missed around here--you are an institution AND an inspiration!  I'm one of the CR newbies; about the time I got to know my way around, the change happened and you left.  But that has not kept us from remembering the things you had told us, and there have been quite a few posts while you were gone quoting you, or reminding someone of your running philosophy!

There was a post around here somewhere where your BQ was reported.  No one is surprised, mind you, just happy that you will get your day.  I can't wait to hear how your training is going, and what it's like to actually run Boston.  Will you stick around and let us watch over your shoulder?

Some things have changed around here, but not the need for new runners to hear from someone who always has something interesting and worthwhile to say!

• FreeRunner Rookie 89 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    2. Mar 5, 2008 12:05 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Hi Long Run Nick!  

I just started to use CR  about 2 months before the change.  I sign in sometimes over at RA but not very often, I miss your words of inspiration, and have actually used some of them to encourage others.  I have ran 3 5k's since January and always have your words of wisdom with me.  The one that is always in my mind is it is ok to walk what is the hurry if you are a lifetime runner.  So I always remember that it is ok to slow down and  and not be in a hurry.   I am not sure of the exact phrase !   I am glad to see you back posting over here and hope you continue too.

And Congrats again on Qualifying for the Boston.  I read that over at RA !   

• figbash Amateur 600 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Mar 5, 2008 4:25 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

It sounds like Long Run Nick is trying to do a bit of recruiting.

I miss the old CR newbies forum as well. While the Running 101 forum at runningahead.com is promising, it needs more traffic, both newbies and oldbies. Check it out. And while you're there, check out the running log as well. It's a lot like the old CR log only more flexible.

Tom

• EIgirl Community Moderator 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Mar 5, 2008 5:30 PM (in response to figbash)

YAY Nick!!!  We all miss you too!  I am so excited to see you here.  I got quite a bit of flak for the post I made over at RA as well, but there is always great information on all of these sites and I am glad you dropped in here to help everyone out.  I know I have carried on the "SLOW DOWN" mantra as well as Tom's "Run for fitness and eat to lose weight" mantra.  This Newbie board is still active and interesting and some really great new "regulars". 

LONG RUN NICK IS BACK IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me you're not recruiting.  : l This forum is great.

• HappyPenguin050 Expert 625 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Mar 5, 2008 6:06 PM (in response to EIgirl)

LRN - I've always thought your advice was right on, so glad to see you here.  Congrats on the BQ!

It's been quieter since the migration but I still consider this home.  I particiapte in the Weight Watchers Runners thread, and we've actually had new people jump in since the merger, which is great!

Stick around....

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    6. Mar 5, 2008 6:44 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

many congrats on qualifying for Boston !  thats awesome - I`m sure a lot of poeple are thrilled to see you back.

If you feel so inclined there is a very active half marathon weekly training thread - we are mosly new slow runners - I`m sure your support and advice would be welcomed should you chose to stop by !

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• GatorGirl71 Expert 598 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    7. Mar 5, 2008 7:31 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

LRN - so good to see you. I have been a fan of yours for a long time and I know you have encouraged many people over the years. Hope you'll stick around

Melanie - mom to 3, WW member since April 2005, runner since July 2006. I lost 40 lbs and have been a Lifetime Member since 2007.

Oct 17, 2007
    9. Mar 6, 2008 5:55 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

LRN - where in FL are you located? I live in Bradenton on the gulf coast. Nice to see another Floridian runner

Melanie - mom to 3, WW member since April 2005, runner since July 2006. I lost 40 lbs and have been a Lifetime Member since 2007.

• Michael. Community Moderator 516 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    11. Mar 6, 2008 9:10 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Nick - It is nice to see you here. I am fairly new to CR myself starting back in November of last year. I have read your old posts, it is great to have you hear and look forward to seeing you at CR. You know I can understand people leaving because of the running log but what makes a forum good is it's people. The software the forum uses is not as important to me.

Mike

Oct 17, 2007
    12. Mar 6, 2008 9:56 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

oh no! not a Noles fan! And an Auburn fan too? you're killing me here. LOL Tallahassee is nice though, at least you get cooler weather up your way.

• Gherkin Amateur 25 posts since
    Apr 15, 2006
    13. Mar 6, 2008 11:40 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Hey Nick!

I didn't post much over at CR, but I started hanging out there almost daily when I started running on April 2, 2006.  When that shut down, things got a little nutty and I haven't been hanging out anywhere.  Anyway, I've been lurking again and just thought I'd let you know there are probably lots more out here like me (lurking but not posting). 

By the way, it took me an entire year of running to understand how to "slow down".  Oh man, do I enjoy running much more now. 

• dougnl Rookie 118 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    14. Mar 9, 2008 3:09 PM (in response to Gherkin)

Hey Nick, good to see you around...I too tried RA but just didn't feel the same sense of community as CR, so I came back...hope to see you posting more.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...