Skip navigation

7421 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2008 6:49 PM by CCHaines
Active.com Staff 1,556 posts since
Jun 5, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 13, 2008 3:36 PM

Base-building 101

Are you new to running and in your base-building stages? Active Expert Matt Fitzgerald offers some good base-building techniques in his article, Establishing a Running Foundation. Have you found these techniques helpful?

What else would you like to know about building your base? We're here to help you succeed so ask away!

• ewrencher Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 6, 2008
    1. Mar 16, 2008 4:51 AM (in response to Active Toby)
    Re: Base-building 101

Hi Active Toby,

I'm new to triathlon training and I am not quite in my base building stage yet, but it starts in May for a triathlon in Sept. I wanted to kind of go ahead and get started training so I would be able to keep up with my training in May. I will surely view Matt's piece, but are there any other suggestions you have for I guess it's "pre-training". Thanks a bunch.

ewrencher 

Feb 6, 2008
    3. Mar 17, 2008 5:58 PM (in response to Active Toby)

I workout (run/bike) 2-3 times a week.  I can run about 4 miles non-stop at about 5.0 miles per hour. I don't really have a set weight routine but I try to do a little with the bands when I think about it (maybe once a week).  I took a triathlon training course last semester (tues/thurs) and completed a mini-triathlon at the end. So I think on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) I would say between 5 and 6. I used to run track in high school (the distance events) .I also swam my last year in high school (I swam on a swim team for a few years as a child). I just recently started biking last semster (in Sept.) and I am working my way up to the 10 mile mark non-stop. Thanks a bunch.

Feb 6, 2008
    5. Mar 18, 2008 11:28 AM (in response to Active Toby)

a sprint

• CCHaines Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2008
    7. Mar 28, 2008 6:49 PM (in response to Active Toby)

I ran the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon in 2005.  About the 10th  mile my left knee starting hurting each time I ran really bad so I had to walk briskley (because it didn't hurt to walk) the rest of the 26.2 miles.   I have been inconsistent in my running since and want to get back into it.  My knee seems okay now.  I can run three miles and it doesn't hurt. 

My question is:  What is the best way for me to get back into running?  Is it different with my circumstances?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...