Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9226 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2009 6:29 AM by Imgellin
livms Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 6, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 10, 2008 11:03 AM

Shin Splints!? Help

I'm in my 2nd week of training for a 1/2 marathon and 2 days ago after running, I had the worst shin splints.  I iced them off and on and they are still hurting today when I'm just sitting here.  I am supposed to train tonight but I don't know if I should.  How do you get rid of shin splints?? I really don't want to stop training but the pain is so bad and I don't want them to get worse... is it bad to just run on them anyway?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

• RunningPT Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 19, 2007
    1. Jan 10, 2008 1:16 PM (in response to livms)
    Re: Shin Splints!? Help

Running on shin splints will most likely make them worse. They are an overuse/undertrain issue.

How long have you had the shoes you have? Did you get them fit by someone who knows what they are doing?

Do you have any history of injuries to your legs, hip, or back?

Have you been running alot of hills, especially downhill?

Let me know about some these questions and we'll go from there.

Peter Schrey, DPT, CSCS

• rspoon32 Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007
    3. Jan 11, 2008 1:13 PM (in response to livms)

I don't like Shox...Heard they weren't the best running shoes. 

One thing that I would look at is your stride and foot strike.  Do you run with a Heel-Toe foot strike?

Jul 19, 2007
    4. Jan 12, 2008 9:17 PM (in response to livms)

I agree that Shox aren't the best shoes. Try the Shoe Dog feature on RoadRunnerSports, the recommendations on the American Academy of Sports Podiatry (http://www.aapsm.org/), or the rather knowledgable people at your local Fleet Feet store. I think its really worth it when you are talking about the only piece of equipment that runners need and one that takes 2000 impacts per mile.

Over the counter orthotics such as PowerSteps or Montrail Enduro-soles can help absorb some of the ground reaction forces before they reach the shins.

Ice and rest is the most basic and most beneficial but can be the most frustrating when you just wanna get out and exercise. Remember that shin splints are an overuse injury due to an underlying deconditioning and/or biomechanical dysfunction that needs to be addressed.

Just my advice. Hope this helps

Peter Schrey, DPT, CSCS

• Sponge_ Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 7, 2008
    5. Jan 21, 2008 3:18 PM (in response to livms)

I feel your pain...I am dealing with the same and battled it all last year too. My calves and shins feel like knives going into them. So much so that last summer I couldn't walk up stairs sometimes.

I have tried 3 different pairs of shoes all fitted at the local running shop....I  took a few weeks and up to a month at one point to recover but they keep coming back.

I am going to make an appointment with the foot doctor tomorrow to see if we can solve this issue.

Any guidance and input would be welcome.

Thanks!

• zaffinator Pro 123 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Jan 27, 2008 10:47 AM (in response to livms)

In addition to the ice, have you tried a foam roller?

I would suggest investing a few bucks in one and rolling your calves (the gastroc and soleus and the peroneals on the sides) on it daily to find/release the really tight/sore spots.

Sounds like the splints are mostly due to a biomechanical issue, and until that is addressed, the problem probably won't go away.

I believe orthotics would help to at least relieve the pain and possibly allow you to run, but eventually you will still need to fix the biomechanical issue. Definitely find someone who can videotape you running and analyze your gait. A good sports doc/podiatrist should be able to do this. Usually the problem begins with the mechanics of the hips and/or ankles. 

Good Luck!

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    7. Feb 26, 2008 3:23 PM (in response to zaffinator)

I found this article, 10 Home Remedies for Shin Splints, and thought I would share it. It offers some good information. I especially like the advice they give for icing shin splints. I have used this method before and it really does work wonders. Good luck!

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    8. Feb 27, 2008 12:47 PM (in response to livms)

I have written an article on shin splints, which should provide some direction.  See attached PDF file, or go to www.DamienHowellPT.com to the libary link and search under title fo shin pain.

Damien Howell MS, PT, OCS

Attachments:
  • kaiser08014 Rookie 29 posts since
    May 10, 2006
    9. Mar 6, 2008 5:37 PM (in response to livms)

Shox... Not a running shoe. Anyways i battled shin splints for a few years and i forgot what it was like to run without pain. Then my trainer told me about orthotics and it was the best thing that has ever happened to me. All those other remedys are nice and take away the pain for a little while but then the pain is back by the next run, i know what your going through. If your really serious about running look into orthotics, but they are kind of pricey though. Good luck with you training and also look into a new pair of running shoes, Shox give me shin splints just looking at them.

Jul 19, 2007
    10. Mar 6, 2008 8:12 PM (in response to livms)

Damien-

I really like the article you posted. Clear, concise, and evidence-based.

There was recently an interesting discussion about running shoes on the Science of Sport blog. Between what I've read in the research, what Damien wrote, and the current discussion in many scientific circles, there is NO predictable set of rules to follow. It really does take an individualized assessment to get it right. What Sara posted is all good advice for symptom control but doesn't address the issues underlying the biomechanical problem. How a runner presents to someone skilled at biomechanics, anatomy, physiology, and sport science is too individualized to give the best treatment by email. This forum is great as a medium for discussing these things and finding advice.

I hope the original poster of this thread found relief from his/her shin splints and is back running pain free.

Pete

• Phendric Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 6, 2008
    11. Mar 6, 2008 8:29 PM (in response to livms)

Boy do I feel your pain

I suffered from shin splints for two years before I finally got professional help.  But the key is, don't run if you've had recent pain because trust me, it'll make them even worse.  In my case, I thought I was just being wimpy so I kept running on them until they developed into tendinitis which make the problem a lot worse.  So keep icing them, stretch, and do SLOW toe lifts to strengthen your shins.  Do that for a couple weeks, and ease your legs back into training by running on soft grass or something similar.  As for shoes, I definitely agree with having someone videotape you while you run.  many professional running stores will have treadmills where they'll videotape you running.  In my case, the high arches in my feet caused my ankles to roll inward, so some good sturdy arch supports automatically did the trick for me.  As for what kind of shoe you want, any stability shoe should do the trick, but no one can really say unless they've seen you run.  I've run in asics, nike, brooks, adidas, the works, and I've honestly loved them all, so I wouldn't be able to name one single brand.  My suggestion, go to a professional running store like the salt lake running company (if you just happen to be in Salt Lake that is) and work with one of a professional one on one.  It's totally free and I've really been impressed.

Cheers!

• delta_90017 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    12. Mar 7, 2008 7:48 AM (in response to livms)

Yesterday I watched a great movie about how shin splints occur and how to avoid them.

They occur because your foot strike is too far forward.  You can avoid them by making sure your foot strike is directly below your torso when running.  Tuck in your butt and your stomach and lean forward slightly when running to avoid shin splints.  Conenctrate on that posture and striking properly.

Treatment for shin splints is the same as for any pulled muscle.  Let them heal before running again.

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    13. Jan 11, 2009 6:13 AM (in response to saraallent)

Thanks, Sarah. The "Ten Home Remedies" article was just what I needed to grasp the situation.

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    14. Jan 11, 2009 6:29 AM (in response to Damien Howell)

A very insightful and useful article on shin-splints, Damien. Thank you very much.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...