Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3052 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2007 11:26 AM by SwingSetFitness
Pathen Amateur 26 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 29, 2006 2:59 PM

shin splints won't go away

last year during track I had really REALLY bad shin splints.    I took about 6 months recovering and doing strength training, but this year they came back again on my first day and I even had to quit track because of it.  Does anyone have any suggestions on any more exercises I can do or what might be wrong? (I've been doing a lot of toe flexes and stretches)

• vanjames Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 30, 2006 9:49 AM (in response to Pathen)
    Re: shin splints won't go away

I would talk to a Dr/Physio if they seem to be chronic. If it just feels like tight muscles when you run at the front of your shin; it could be tight tibia muscles, massage them and maybe try rubbing on some bodyglide with heat to warm them up beforehand.

• richking1953 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Mar 24, 2007 8:33 AM (in response to Pathen)

Shin splints have various causes. They mostly involve the muscles in the front of the lower leg which are not much used in biking unless you pull up on the pedals. Since it doesn't bother you while biking, how about temporarily cutting back on your running mileage and substituting biking as cross training. Also ice helps a lot after your workouts.

Lots of info about this on the web, for example

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/shinsplint.htm.

• SwingSetFitness Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jun 10, 2007 11:26 AM (in response to Pathen)

Hello,

Apply ice to your shins after you run every time. Also make sure your sneakers have great arches and very soft heel cushioning. You might want to add the rubber or foam heel cushions in your sneakers. Purchase new sneakers a bit more often, as soon as you start to feel the shin pain. You can actually use tape to help alleviate some of the pain, but it is too complicated for me to describe in a message format. Go to an athletic training website to see how to tape for shin splints.

Best of luck!

Karen

www.SwingSetFitness.com / www.StrengthTeacher.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...