Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

267643 Views 1,829 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2008 10:05 AM by michaelmack33 Go to original post 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 ... 122 Previous Next
  • RKHII83 Pro 166 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,725. Mar 9, 2008 8:37 PM (in response to parkerand susan)
    Re: The iPod conflict brews in racing

Parker -

I can't speak for Fort Meade or other Army posts, but NOB Norfolk, NS Little Creek, NAS Oceana and NS Dam Neck all sponsor races throughout the year.  The courses are temporarily closed (that makes them "designated running paths") and there is no restriction on ipod use.

• lahrunner Pro 103 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    1,726. Mar 9, 2008 8:47 PM (in response to parkerand susan)

Yoo  Hoo!!  Parker, Prof. RK, Runner Chick'en, WayneD......Princess Lah Lah is baaaacccckkkkkk!!!!    Actually got back late Wed. night and have been recovering and reacclimating.   The L.A. Marathon was great....mostly!   Weather was a bit too warm - sunny....very sunny...and 70+ degrees.  I have a very nice tan. Fortunately, there was plenty of water and Gatorade and the fabulous L.A.F.D. had opened up quite a few fire hydrants along the course....which I took advantage of as often as possible!  Volunteer support and spectators were awesome!  I hit the wall BIG TIME at mile 18 and runner's induced tourettes set in!    I was hoping to beat my MCM time of 5:28:32 and at the half-way mark my predicted time was 5:19, but ended up finishing at 5:42:39.  The beautiful, warm, sunny SoCal weather just beat the crp out of my 51 year old body....plus I had some toe issues!  Yes, parker!  I'm still whining about my toes.  You should see how lovely they are....have lost one toe nail and looks like another one is about to say buh-bye!  All 'n all, it was a great experience.  The first two miles had me all verklempt as I was running near my old 'hood.   As we were passing the Hollywood Bowl in those first two miles, some non-iPod wearing ahole decided to stop dead in his fat a* tracks, bend over and mess with his shoe!  I nearly fell over him!  The walkers were the only other course hazard.  What is it with those walkers thinking it's some type of 26.2 mile coffee klatch!?!?  Even the guy pushing his kid in a jogging stroller and the two goofballs dressed like Elvis pushing something resembling an ice cream cart were more courtesy than the non-iPod wearing walkers!   At mile 20 I swore I was never going to run another marathon!  At mile 25 as I was hobbling past all the fabulous specators, I started to reconsider and as I approached the finish and heard my name announced, then heard my friends cheering me on, I decided I'd try getting into NY again!   The marathon reflected the spirit of L.A. - everyone's welcome, come out and have fun!   As for that bonus for the woman who won, whatevah....that was a different race than the one I was in!

I see Team EyePod has overcome the Dark RD Lord....his power is weakening.....and based on his writing, his mental facilities are diminishing as well!

• parkerand susan Legend 363 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    1,727. Mar 9, 2008 8:49 PM (in response to RKHII83)

Heh RK....I think we found someone to give you another pain in your butt besides the current one..if he's a Dead Head and likes leggings and Mandolin he's got to be your long lost son from that R and R night in the Reeper Bahn years ago...:)

what is it about ipods..did sony walkmans catch such grief back in your time? Back in the day?

and who names a military base Dam Neck...reminds me of my beaver post..get your Dam facts straight

what's your current running schedule? every other day? every other week? my one word to you grasshopper is.....Advil...lots of it...mainline it..

Oct 17, 2007
    1,728. Mar 9, 2008 8:59 PM (in response to lahrunner)

Awesome to have you back Lahrunner ..have to get some shut eye though..time change has screwed the pooch with my clock...but want to hear more...and about this mystery 20 minute LA women..and your freak'en leper like toes...Darth Senior lurks off the lighted pages.. waiting for darkness to descend and a simple mind to confuse....

• RKHII83 Pro 166 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    1,729. Mar 9, 2008 9:16 PM (in response to parkerand susan)

No way parker.  You are the resident PITA here now.  Soldier did what your dad NHS never could.  When asked for facts he provided them.  Although the whole picture wasn't captured by either of us at first.

Dam Neck got its name back when the area was first settled from the large amount of beaver dams that were used as reference points in colonial deeds. The "Neck" would have come from the common usage of the term "neck" as a piece of land surrounded by bays and creeks.  The Dam Neck Windmills were located here and were powered by wind.  It became a town and the name Dam Neck Mills stuck until it was shortened to Dam Neck.

As to my 'plan', I will go 3-4-3 M, W, Th.  Friday off, 5 on Saturday.  As each new week comes up I will add a mile to the Wednesday run (up to 6 then start over at 4) and add a mile to the weekend run, until I get to 8 miles.  Then I will go 8, 6, 9, 6, 10, 8, 11, 6, 12, Half.

Advil??????  No way, celebrex, vicodin, a shot of Jack and 1.2 Terabytes of Dead to choose from.

• trevor m Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 10, 2008
    1,730. Mar 10, 2008 1:12 PM (in response to gkshaw)

Good call, enjoy the run for all it is (sounds included).   However, I have never felt it has been an safty issue.  I respect runners that want to listen to music.  I feel they are (for the most part) listening responsibly.  During my group training runs many people listen to music and have never had a problem with traffic or any other safty issues.  That being said I never talk to these people when we are run the same pace.  I see these people once a week and have never gotten to know them like other runners. 

• virtualbrian Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,731. Mar 12, 2008 10:58 AM (in response to Active Toby)

I run with my Ipod sometimes on long trail runs.

• Brian Fons Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 12, 2008
    1,732. Mar 12, 2008 2:37 PM (in response to gkshaw)

I agree somewhat and disagree.  Having an iPod while you are biking is not SOMEWHAT more dangerous than while running.  It is 100 times more dangerous.  The speed and height that you are travelling is much different, not to mention that your feet might be clipped into pedals, there is metal all around you, other bikers could get taken out, etc.  Just too many factors that don't exist while running.

I am pretty sure than running with an iPod is slightly more dangerous not because you can't hear anything, but because your attentiveness is decreased.  I think the advantages of allowing iPods outweighs the disadvantages.  Some people do 100% of their training wearing an iPod.  Let them use it during the race.  We all know how the "Power Song" picks us up at the right time.  I personally don't need one when I run races.  There is too much other stimulus around. 

Oct 17, 2007
    1,733. Mar 12, 2008 6:27 PM (in response to RKHII83)

Mi Padre NH..I'm thinking you got more NH DNA than me...take that anal running schedule for example..what are you? The Count from Sesame Street? How bout "I Feel like 3 but I'll do 4, or feel like 4 but I'll do 3"..unpucker a couple of centimeters and listen to your what your hip's schedule is... that 8,6,9,6,10, 8, looks like a lottery number pick at the 7/11 down the street.. not a plan for rehabing an injury.. and Celebrex? that's an arthritis drug.... what up ?

• lahrunner Pro 103 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    1,735. Mar 13, 2008 5:38 PM (in response to parkerand susan)

So whassup, Team EyePod Dudes, with the silence since I've come back?  You were all still pretty chatty while I was in L.A.   Should I take this personally?  ?:|

Or has this marathon topic finally been exhausted?   Well it's been quite the ride and a pleasure to have gotten to know y'all - Parker, Prof. RK, Runner Chick'en, WayneD, SGray.  Keep on runnin' with your pods! 

Rock on Team EyePod!  Peace out!

Princess Lah Lah 

Oct 17, 2007
    1,736. Mar 13, 2008 7:39 PM (in response to lahrunner)

We still luv ya...and your not going anywhere! those **** Ipoders are probabely in a stupor! when they wake up and get hungry they'll be here...check out the runner blog Harlem 26.2 ..I'm the bike monitor..has caused a bit of a stir in the marathon world....

I had, and have some work related issues to attend as of late..pita...although I am frisky and presently open to annoy and offend anyone who is foolish enough to post...you have not related much re: the LA marathon...need the play by play again...did you run in the one where the female winner won a hundred thousand dollar bonus or not..or were there two races?..and I heard there was a $1000 prize for the female with the funkiest black toes.. you had that one girl..toes down..you could be the new Barack Obama Girl..the one with afro toes you missed our Loose Lucy from Zealand..haven't heard from her in a bit but she reminded me of you...hills and valleys ..hills ..valleys..

• tkmorales Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    1,737. Mar 14, 2008 1:18 PM (in response to Active Toby)

I don't think wearing IPODs or headphones should be an issue.  If you run with it when you train then why not when you race.  I wear one everytime I run.  I just run with one headphone in for safety reasons so that I am aware of what is going on around me as well as music to motivate me to run those 26 miles.  No one has ever told me to take it out.  I agree with what was said earlier.....what if I was deaf...is someone going to tell me I can't run because I can't hear?  I don't think so!  I think someone is afraid of getting sued!  If the people running the races are so concerned about it, why don't they have IPOD wearers sign a waiver?

• RunnerChick1969 Rookie 11 posts since
    Oct 16, 2005
    1,738. Mar 15, 2008 10:14 AM (in response to parkerand susan)

Hello all my Ipod friends!  Strangest thing happened this morning.  I went and ran a race where runners were wearing headphones of all shapes and sizes.  I was simply amazed at the number of runners using musical devices.  The strange part was that...gasp...there was not one incident where a runner with musical inspiration had or caused any problems.  In fact, the organizers of the race said everything ran smoothly and it was yet another great success.  I was certain, because NH and Mary said so, that there would be nothing less then massive pandemonium due to all these runners cutting others off or non-musical device runners tripping over those five foot long headphone cords.  Now with all the incidents that our local yocals have cried and whined about, one would think that you would have some of that in a race with over 3000 participants.  I guess here in Michigan, we tend to be a bit of a more respectful crowd then where dim and dimmer run

• WayneD Expert 59 posts since
    Sep 5, 2007
    1,739. Mar 15, 2008 10:34 AM (in response to RunnerChick1969)

Where did you race at this weekend? I'm from Northern Indiana probably not far from you. The weather is finally breaking here and I actually ran yesterday in my SHORTS and of course my IPOD. Any events happening in your neck of the woods in the near future?

WayneD

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...