Skip navigation

1971 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2007 11:26 AM by betsimons RSS
katiegorski1 Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 15, 2007 6:17 AM

Strength Training for 1/2 Marathon

I am a female and am running my first 1/2 marathon in August.  The online training guide says to do 40 minutes of strength training, however it does not specify what to do.  Am I supposed to do leg and arm machines?  I would appreciate any advice.  Thanks!

• betsimons Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 15, 2007 11:26 AM (in response to katiegorski1)
    Re: Strength Training for 1/2 Marathon

When you are doing strength training it is better to focus on training 1 or 2 different muscle groups at a time especially if you are doing it within a 40 min. time frame.  For instance, one day focus on upper body, like biceps, triceps, and shoulders.  Another day focus on chest and back.  Another day focus on legs.  It is important to work the opposing muscles per group, like biceps and triceps together, etc.  I would not recommend doing legs the day before a longer fun, your leg muscles need at least a day to recover.  Plyometric training is really good and beneficial for runners as well.  You can research various plyo workouts online.  In all honesty, you are not going to have any true strength gains while training for a half marathon.  You will be maintaining the muscle you already have.  I hope this helps.  Check out runners world's website, they have some good tips as well.  Good Luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...