Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1365 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2008 12:49 PM by StillPlugginAway RSS
Icky LaBrode Rookie 8 posts since
Sep 26, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 10, 2008 7:29 AM

Wild Rover Race Series

Wow!  Did anyone else out there run all three of these races?

What a blast!  Racing the way it was ment to be!  No pretenses,  just plain fun!

Two old school races, the Claddagh  Pub 4 Miler in Lawrence and the Hynes 5 Milers in Lowell along with a new one the Frozen Shamrock 3 Miler in Haverhill.

Perfect timing for thes Irish themed "bar" races.  These were races you just don't show up,  run and leave.  Talk about social events!  Hard running, beverages, bands and comordity, and did I mention food!  Oh yeah, one other thing you get a finishing metal as well.  And when you complete the series they all interlock to form one BIG metal!

Man, from what I could see the participants loved it!  Each race had 700+ runners.

I have ran all 15 Claddagh races as well running my first Hynes in 1985.  It is great to see folks running these well orgainzed and fun races in record numbers. 

Can't wait to next year!

Icky

• NHSenior Legend 387 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    1. Mar 13, 2008 6:00 AM (in response to Icky LaBrode)
    Re: Wild Rover Race Series

There are many races where you only recognize a few faces in the crowd. These races and many others in the Merrimack Valley are where you recognize over half the runners there. And these races are not just a few hundred people.

It all seems like family. You can recognize these runners from a distance by their clothes, how they run, who they hang with and often by the color shade of the beer in their glass.

The series was ripe to succeed and it did in fine fashion. 

I'd say the following but you already did.

" What a blast! Racing the way it was ment to be! No pretenses, just plain fun!"

• MissPratt Rookie 52 posts since
    Jan 21, 2007
    2. Mar 13, 2008 12:36 PM (in response to Icky LaBrode)

I enjoyed these races as well - great time & ended all my Sunday long runs with 3,4, & 5 mile pick-up's!

• StillPlugginAway Expert 564 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    3. Mar 13, 2008 12:49 PM (in response to Icky LaBrode)

This race series was an absolute blast!  I am so glad that I ran it.  I debated not running it because I am training for Boston (1st time) and I would need to get my long runs in as well.  All be told, I ran the needed miles before the start of each of these races and finished my long runs with a great party!  It was great to see all the familiar Summer faces, many of which I had not seen since the Mill Cities Relay (also a blast).  I will be doing this series each winter I'm sure. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...