Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3862 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2008 5:31 AM by Jacques Le Strappe RSS
Rosieb66 Rookie 5 posts since
Dec 18, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 12, 2008 5:02 PM

Getting permission to reproduce couch to 5k program

I'm in the process of putting together an ebook on starting running, and I'd like to include the couch to 5k program... I'm assuming it's copyrighted, but there are plenty of websites out there who reproduce it exactly. Does anyone know who I could contact to get permission to duplicate it?

Thanks

Audrey

• NHSenior Legend 387 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007

Contact Dave Camire

dave@coolrunning.com

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

The Couch to 5k program was put together by Liam Mycroft, who used to be a moderator here.  You can reach him at www.kickrunners.com.

Nov 23, 2007

I think you will find that the copyright of the Couch to 5 program  was owned by Kick Sports and all rights passed to Coolrunning (Cool Sports) when Kick Sports was sold by Josh Clark to Cool Sports many years ago. Coolrunning was sold to Active.com in Dec 2006.

Coolrunning is normally very happy to have others use the program and make links to it for non-business use, providing that the clear copyright of Coolrunining is noted whereever the program is used.

Dave Camire at Coolrunning is the keeper of keys for permission to use it. I doubt that he will refuse. 

Dec 14, 2007

I don't think the program is copyright material.  If you go to the program on this website there is nothing to suggest it is, and they invite you to email it if you wish, but no doubt DC would be able to tell you.  However..... if you want the real thing, go to the person who put it together in the first place and get his updates.

Nov 23, 2007

<<<I don't think the program is copyright material. If you go to the program on this website there is nothing to suggest it is

That's how people get in trouble.

Something does not need to say it's copyrighted to actually be copyrighted.

If I have something that I have on a site and it is labeled as being copyrighted and you copy it to your site and don't label it copyrighted, then a third party is NOT off the hook if they copy the stuff from your site and use it. Sort of obvious if you thnk about it.

I think you will find that basic copyright law says that if I write something and can prove it and I was not acting as an employee or agent of another person, entity, business at the time then I do in fact have a copyright. You do not have to register a copyright on something to have it. The more formal processes just makes it easier to prove that you have the copyright when you need to stomp someone for using it without permission or using in a way that confuses the public.

On copyrights and patents, trademarks, servicemarks, business names. etc. , urban legends about "oh, don't worry about it, they won't care, it's OK", will and regularly do get people in trouble.

Dec 14, 2007

If I have something that I have on a site and it is labeled as being copyrighted and you copy it to your site and don't label it copyrighted, then a third party is NOT off the hook if they copy the stuff from your site and use it. Sort of obvious if you thnk about it.

I think you will find that basic copyright law says that if I write something and can prove it and I was not acting as an employee or agent of another person, entity, business at the time then I do in fact have a copyright. You do not have to register a copyright on something to have it. The more formal processes just makes it easier to prove that you have the copyright when you need to stomp someone for using it without permission or using in a way that confuses the public.

If I recall correctly, Liam wrote the program, and I don't think he was an employee of CR or any of its predecessors at the time.  I am certain he was not paid for it.  So at the very least there is some fuzziness around who the correct owner is.  Nevertheless, I was not suggesting going to Liam in order to go to the correct person in a legal sense.  Since he wrote it he obviously knows exactly why it was put together the way it was and can likely explain it far better than anyone else.  Furthermore, he has since added to it, which may be of greater interest than the original. 

As Shakespeare once said...."It's all one to me, sot."  (Oops!  I guess I shouldn't reprint another author's publishings!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...