Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

246422 Views 1,829 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2008 10:05 AM by michaelmack33 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 ... 122 Previous Next
  • RKHII83 Pro 166 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,740. Mar 16, 2008 8:23 AM (in response to RunnerChick1969)
    Re: The iPod conflict brews in racing

Morning all -

Just got back from the Shamrock Half this morning.  I was support team for my wife - she clocked a PR 2:11 while I napped in the truck.  Lots of ipods, lots of goofy shamrock hats, green wigs and other such St. Patty's regalia - no wipeouts everyone had a lot of fun.

Which is why I am certain the thread's two miscreants weren't there.  They were off sipping vinegar from a wormwood cup and eating rotten apples - a perfect match to their collective demeanor and personality.

I have the Dismal Swamp Stomp Half coming up in a month - I have a lot of work to do since I haven't run more than a 5K since before Christmas. 

I better get my ipod playlist loaded now.  I want to practice my stupor before I actually go and do it under race conditions.

Be Well all - (yeah, even the two drips)

• Runner Chick'en Pro 145 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    1,741. Mar 16, 2008 9:49 AM (in response to WayneD)

Hi Wayne!  I race and live in West Michigan.  Probably our biggest and most popular race is the Fifth Third 25K, which I am training for on May 10 and that is an Ipod friendly race as well  

Our weather here is breaking as well.  We actually hit 50 on Friday but we are trying not to get to used to that because this is Michigan after all, land of the lake effect snow storms...lol...  I think Mother Nature has one big blast left in her as much as i hate to admit that.  I would love to think that spring is here cause that means my second racing season starts, I am getting back into drag racing my Mustang.  She sits out there staring at me and begging me to drive her   If I do that though, I am pretty much assuring that we get more snow! 

• tkmorales Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    1,742. Mar 16, 2008 5:54 PM (in response to WayneD)

WayneD...I am from northern Indiana.........Logansport... YOU?

• WayneD Expert 59 posts since
    Sep 5, 2007
    1,743. Mar 16, 2008 6:22 PM (in response to tkmorales)

From South Bend/Mishawaka. Good to meet you TK!

WayneD

• JacobBunner Pro 79 posts since
    Sep 25, 2007
    1,744. Mar 16, 2008 7:31 PM (in response to WayneD)

I live in Lawrenceburg, Indiana.( Near Cincinnati)

Viva Hoosiers!!

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1,745. Mar 17, 2008 11:13 AM (in response to RKHII83)
    RKHII83 wrote:

Morning all -

Just got back from the Shamrock Half this morning.  I was support team for my wife - she clocked a PR 2:11 while I napped in the truck.  Lots of ipods, lots of goofy shamrock hats, green wigs and other such St. Patty's regalia - no wipeouts everyone had a lot of fun.

Which is why I am certain the thread's two miscreants weren't there.  They were off sipping vinegar from a wormwood cup and eating rotten apples - a perfect match to their collective demeanor and personality.

I have the Dismal Swamp Stomp Half coming up in a month - I have a lot of work to do since I haven't run more than a 5K since before Christmas. 

I better get my ipod playlist loaded now.  I want to practice my stupor before I actually go and do it under race conditions.

Be Well all - (yeah, even the two drips)

Actually there was a wipeout at Shamrock although I don't know the reason why.  It happened within 15 feet of me.  I was in corral 1 and this was within the first mile or so.  It happened on the right side of the flow and the guy went sliding on his back/tumbling forward making a god awful sound fortunately on wet pavement.  I didn't see any blood but I'm sure he was hurtin'.  He wasn't wearing an MP3 player.

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • lahrunner Pro 103 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    1,746. Mar 19, 2008 8:21 PM (in response to Runner Chick'en)

Hey Team EyePod!  I miss y'all!   Since the conflict seems to be all brewed out, now what?!  Can we take our Team EyePod feelin' the love fest off the site and form our own Team EyePod chat?   Runner Chick'en knows how to contact me via my profile, so the rest of you PodHeads should be able to figure it out!  Don't lose touch my EyePod  Homies!

Peace out,

Princess Lah Lah

• NHSenior Legend 387 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    1,747. Mar 20, 2008 6:39 AM (in response to lahrunner)

<<<<Hey Team EyePod! I miss y'all! Since the conflict seems to be all brewed out, now what?! Can we take our Team EyePod feelin' the love fest off the site and form our own Team EyePod chat? Runner Chick'en knows how to contact me via my profile, so the rest of you PodHeads should be able to figure it out! Don't lose touch my EyePod Homies!

I find your comment laughably ironic. If you actually spent time in a race, not zoned out and isolated in your Ipod stupor, you would meet strangers who might know something about this sport. If that happened there are at least 2 possible results.

1) You might learn that there are many "running" web communities and most have forums which cover many topics and most might jump at the chance to create one or more Ipod threads. Your tremendously effect Team EyePod site has fallen on its ill thought out face. I guess the keeper of that site is more interested in music than getting anything done.

2) You might find yourself at the finish line having enjoyed the whole race, not noticed your claimed discomfort and found that time flew by as you enjoyed the company of and perhaps common issues you face along with other runners. Who knew that there just might be life beyond the IPOD.

Most of you ipod heads have come into the sport and NEVER run a race without the **** thing. Or in a typical no work-ethic fashion you tried it for 10 to 20 steps and gave up because running without it was "too hard" . Always looking for and finding a crutch to help accomplish things is how we've developed a whole generation of under-achievers.

Jan 24, 2008
    1,748. Mar 20, 2008 8:41 AM (in response to NHSenior)

Oh looky, Mr. Crabby Pants is back...lol...  You really are a liar NH, a true blue, wouldn't know the truth if it hit you square in the face liar.  Not one of us has been zoned out in a race and unable to pay attention to what is going on around us but hey, maybe you actually believe that fib   I use music as a tool, not as a crutch and not even your pathetic attempt at bringing me and others down can change that truth.  So you just keep trying to tear down the positive things that each one of us and so many others have worked hard to build and we'll continue to laugh at your ever growing nose!

Jan 24, 2008
    1,749. Mar 20, 2008 5:05 PM (in response to NHSenior)

You tell him RK  

It always makes me sad when someone who claims to love this sport so much, works so hard to bring other runners down.  Four years ago I was 80 pounds heavier and maybe walked to the end of the driveway.  I worked my butt off to be the runner I am today and have no doubt, I am just as much of a runner as any professional or someone who has been running for 30 years!  Yep, I run to music and I love it!  I figure if music motivates someone to get off their butt and into physical activity, that is great.  With the obesity epidemic this country has, one would think that the most important thing is to get people active and if music accomplishes that goal, then so be it!  I would step up against NH any day at the race track and make no mistake, I would show him what a real runner with real heart is made of

Oh and for some good news about my brother, he is home from Iraq!  He came home last week, safe and sound and all of his men came back with him!  He is still my pain in the butt little brother but he is one tough Marine!  He brags about his sis that lost the weight and is now a runner

Oct 1, 2007
    1,750. Mar 20, 2008 6:20 PM (in response to Runner Chick'en)

Hey there Runner CHick'en -

Great news about your brother.  Please pass on my thanks for his service - I mean it sincerely.

I'll never understand the likes of NHS.  It is a sad commentary on their lives when all they do is put other people down for having a differing opinion.  But then again, people of his ilk grow big brass balls when they are protected only by the anonymity provided by their keyboard and mouse.

Jan 24, 2008
    1,751. Mar 20, 2008 7:07 PM (in response to RKHII83)

I will do that RK   He is probably off to Afganistan in the fall but at least he is home for now!  Truly when I look at what my brother has been through, it makes the NH's of the world seem rather small and unimportant! 

Nov 23, 2007
    1,752. Mar 21, 2008 7:44 AM (in response to Runner Chick'en)

<<<Truly when I look at what my brother has been through, it makes the NH's of the world seem rather small and unimportant

As I have stated many times way back, I truly appreciate and understand what our military folks do for us. They deserve nothing less than our full support and honor for what they do.

However, speaking of honor, you get no points for your association or kinship with your brother for the honor he "deserves". Your honor is sullied and unfortunately, once sullied it can't be recovered. Don't you remember being told as a youngster not to do or engaging in things that might haunt you later and perhaps for the rest of your life.

You and a number of others have engaged in either of the two follow actions.

1) you have claimed that you have or will ignore rules of conduct to which you had a choice to not ignore, or you claim you have or will sign an agreement and then ignore it, and most often ignore it because you have and "excuse.

2) you don't or would not engage in the items stated in (1) but are a defender of the such abhorrent behavior and do so by shooting messengers and spinning a very pointed position of the messenger into a whole life style. Which of course is the practice of those who have no other weapons of defense.

Perhaps if when you feel like you have accomplish something laudable but are upset that someone tosses that aside as being of value, you might re-think your attitude toward how people perceive unacceptable social behavior. When you are a rule breaker and can't be trusted or are a defender of same, there are people who will cut you out of decision processes that effect your life and you may never even know it. People who have reason to include others in social or employment activities quite often discount people they can not trust.

RK would have you think he doesn't understand someone like me. I don't believe it for a second and he doesn't either (more disingenuousness). I understand him perfectly and the rest of his kind. They don't like people who call attention to their short comings on honor and trust and moral values. They think that because they have had a hard life or work hard at other things that life will give them a special dispensation for a wimpy attitude on moral values. That's where this thread started and where it has always been for me. The silly side comments are spurious. Honor is for life until you lose it.

Parker, hello. Isn't it about time for an "OMG" posting.?

Edited to add:

You do know that you guys control the keys to whatever grief you claim my posting either bring or don't bring.

Ipods are fine. Working hard at being healthy or healthier is fine and is laudable. Why do you have to force the combination of both in places where you are not wanted. Why not cut a deal? YOU compromise and don't use your ipod at races that have rules stating they are not to be used, and I will dry up and go away because I have no case beyond that simple issue. It's you who started this by doing what you should not do. Do you need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Oct 1, 2007
    1,753. Mar 21, 2008 11:02 AM (in response to NHSenior)

RK would have you think he doesn't understand someone like me. I don't believe it for a second and he doesn't either (more disingenuousness). I understand him perfectly and the rest of his kind. They don't like people who call attention to their short comings on honor and trust and moral values.

NHS - priceless. Never for a second believe that you will ever understand "my kind". We function at a transcendent level of integrity, moral courage and honor you simply cannot comprehend and will never approach in your life.  Never.  However, we all understand your kind - and you will forever be on the outside looking in.  And you have no chance ever of coming to our level.

No matter what you say.  No matter how high you think your moral ground of Ipod lecturing is.

But still you serve your purpose here, not unlike the chew toys my dogs have at home.  Most of the time they lie around the house unused.  But every now and then 160 pounds of Golden Retrievers come bounding up to me with a toy in their mouths and unbridled joy on their faces and in their eyes.  And we spend hours doing nothing more than tossing it around, chewing, fetching, playing keep away.  Until we all get tired or break something (and then my wife yells at me and the dogs get off scott free).

NHS - you are my chew toy.  You amuse me.  Your posts are ridiculous and have become an almost daily humor staple at my office.  I just wish you would post more often so we can chew you up and spit you out or play fetch or tug of war with you more often.  Your original intent may have been to engage in polite discourse, but you abandoned that effort early on.  Then you took the inflammatory and insulting approach - revealing the true nature (but not the scope) of your moral cowardice.  Only you know the extent and are no doubt comfortable with your shortcomings.

I for one am a fan of yours.  Because every now and then I need to engage in mindless play. 

And you are my chew toy - and I am glad you have a squeaker.

Squeak for me my friend.

Nov 23, 2007
    1,754. Mar 21, 2008 12:15 PM (in response to RKHII83)

<<<<"my kind". We function at a transcendent level of integrity, moral courage and honor you simply cannot comprehend and will never approach in your life.

Those 3 values are not something you get to modify at your own pleasure, nor do you get to issue qualifications (excuses to the contrary) in how they apply post-analysis to the actions of those wasting character values on things they could have avoided.

That's pure Bill Clintonese right up there with the "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is"

It's not that complicated. You either honor what you agree to or you don't. It is a black and white subject. Anything else is just "spin" and spin is defacto dishonesty by its very nature.

<<<<<No matter how high you think your moral ground of Ipod lecturing is.

It was never about the inanimate "thing" (the ipod). It was about the person using it and then as the true colors of the character of those persons using the ipod came through they started selling away their moral values to justify going back on their word.

You can continue to try to convince them and yourself with your claim of a high ground because you disapprove of inflammatory rhetoric, but there is no salvaging a squandered character or trust. Words are just words, but actions are actions. People of real character don't buy the smooth talk bit. They go on actions. Sticks and stones,,,,, all the chew toys notwithstanding.

I know you think you ever so "slick" and maybe you even flatter yourself to think of yourself as "Existential" in your rationalization of character values. One author claimed Clinton was beyond slick and might be call "Existenial" Willie, but that was far from a compliment.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...