Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4135 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2008 7:05 PM by AnnaMoves
frank m kearney Rookie 6 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 23, 2008 5:43 PM

Injury in the middle of training

When an injury comes in the middle of training program would it be best to repeat the training missed or just move on. I haven't missed a-lot. My training called for a 6 mile run on Sat but I had a pinched nerve in my neck and could not run. ? Any suggestions?

• RKHII83 Pro 166 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    1. Mar 24, 2008 9:13 AM (in response to frank m kearney)
    Re: Injury in the middle of training

Frank -

I'm not a doctor so please don't take this as medical advice. All I can offer is my perspective - hopefully others will post and help answer your question.

If you know what the injury is/was then you likely have sense of how future training will affect the injury and/or recovery. A pinched nerve while painful probably won't get worse by running as long as you take it ease and let your pain level guide you.  If it hurts when you run - run slower .  If you are concerned about the cardio training and can't run, can you hit the stationary bike without aggravating the pinched nerve?

I am recovering from three herniated discs (trauma induced) and lost 11 weeks of training.  I got back on the road two weeks ago and it has been miserable.  Hips, knees, back, you name it - all are being exercised in a new alignment and it hurts like ****.  I'm nowhere near elite status so while frustrating, it isn't eating me up.  You just come back according to what your body tells you.  I know it sounds trite, but there's a reason we have pain as a feedback mechanism.  As long as the pain doesn't get worse or new, I just push on through. 

I am running the Dismal Swamp Stomp half marathon in Virginia in 4 weeks - last year I ran a 1:52 and change.  This year - given where I am now post injury - my goal is to finish at around 2:30.  11 weeks ago I was using a cane and 4-6 vicodin a day to get around.  So if I can get out and do a 2:30 I'll consider myself lucky and set my sights on lowering that time in the next race.

Hope this helps - good luck with your recovery and training.

• RKHII83 Pro 166 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    2. Mar 24, 2008 9:18 AM (in response to frank m kearney)

Thought of one more thing - like actually answering your question.........

As far as where to pick back up your training - if you only miss a couple of days, that probably won't hurt you too much. Everything I've read said it's more important to stay on the plan - that is, if you miss a day, don't try to make it up, just get back on the plan.

It will be interesting to see opinions - but this is what I do.

• jgregerson1@mac.com Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 29, 2008
    5. Mar 25, 2008 8:36 PM (in response to frank m kearney)

I appreciate your input about remembering the Cardio aspect of training. Since my injury, I have had none. Thanks again.

Jill

• Janeynes hnal Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 11, 2008
    6. Mar 30, 2008 11:43 PM (in response to frank m kearney)

Good luck for you!

• gadida Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    7. Apr 1, 2008 1:27 PM (in response to RKHII83)

Frank, you're my new hero!  I like your advice .... i too am nursing an injury (it band) ... thanks for making injuries not seem like the end of the world, but  a good thing just to be able to run!   Go get'em in the swamp!

• AnnaMoves Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 18, 2008
    9. Apr 21, 2008 7:05 PM (in response to frank m kearney)

Hello Frank,

First of all, I want to send you my best wishes in your recovery. Pain is what it is. But it is also a very important signal. I have dealt with various injuries in my life: I played competitive tennis in my youth and later went on to swim in Masters competitions in college and am a Registered Yoga Teacher. I am also a PhD candidate in physiology at UCLA. I say all this not to drive up my ego but to tell you that I'm not a quack.

One more thing about me: last year I was in a serious bike / car accident and had some awful experiences with doctors and physical therapists. And then I finally decided to take things into my own hands and started searching for self-help methods of healing. I came upon Pete Egoscue and his Egoscue Method. And it totally changed my life. Please read my blog for more information:

http://phdroadshow.blogspot.com/2008/03/egoscue-and-life.html

Simply put, if you read about and follow Pete's program, not only will your neck get better, but you will be a better and stronger runner. Promise.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have!

My best,

Anna

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...