Skip navigation

8967 Views 46 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2008 5:06 AM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • teknofauz Legend 366 posts since
    Nov 21, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Mar 22, 2008 8:10 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Re: Inspiration

lenzlaw wrote:

Don't worry, my natural instinct is to offer what I know, sometimes even what I'm not quite sure about.

Jerry, PDRBUCK saves $10 off the Philly half until June 15, which makes it $45 instead of $55. I'm not real familiar with Philly hotels but something between 15th and 22nd Sts., north of Market St., south of Vine St. will put you a few blocks from the start (also in good neighborhood). Looking at the "official" hotel list, most of them are out of this area. "Tree" streets are south of Market, BTW, i.e. Chestnut, Locust, Walnut. Tekno might be able to help. I think they stayed in town for the Philly marathon last year.

Yup, we sure did stay in town for the Philly marathon.  We stayed over by Univ of Penn.  We probably could have walked to the race, but it would have been a long walk.  We ended up taking a cab to the start and on the way back from the race.  We did stay in a very nice hotel and it cost us right around $200.  And we only had to reserve a room for one night - that is always a plus when you are within driving distance of the race and don't need to necessarily stay two nights.  We did get reservations for Chicago.  The best we could find that was around $220/night.  Then count on adding about $40/night (if I remember correctly) in taxes.  But we are staying right across from the start line I think the name of the hotel is Congress Plaza Hotel.  We probably could have got a better rate through Priceline or something else but we wanted to option to cancel if we needed to for any reason.  Whew these events can add up!!!

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    31. Mar 22, 2008 8:40 PM (in response to teknofauz)

Hi Tekno. Yeah, Congress Plaza is one of the closest to the start for Chicago. It's a simple hotel, but the neighborhood is fine; it's very close to the host hotel, Hilton. I haven't seen the inside of Congress Plaza. If you have AAA, you can get it for $199/night. When the race approaches and you're positive you're going, you still have the option of trying Priceline (or similar) if you want; maybe Sky Auction will still have that deal (via bidding) on the Hotel Sax. I talked to one person who was staying at the Congress Plaza and she was fine with it.

Nov 21, 2007
    32. Mar 23, 2008 6:25 PM (in response to Courir26)

Courir26 wrote:

Hi Tekno. Yeah, Congress Plaza is one of the closest to the start for Chicago. It's a simple hotel, but the neighborhood is fine; it's very close to the host hotel, Hilton. I haven't seen the inside of Congress Plaza. If you have AAA, you can get it for $199/night. When the race approaches and you're positive you're going, you still have the option of trying Priceline (or similar) if you want; maybe Sky Auction will still have that deal (via bidding) on the Hotel Sax. I talked to one person who was staying at the Congress Plaza and she was fine with it.

Hey.  Thanks for the info.  Good idea about using Priceline or something along those lines once we get closer and we know for sure we'll be going.  I'm looking forward to going to Chicago it will be my first trip there or at least the first one I remember (and no not because I was wasted the entire trip...............). 

• Dave "Big Guy" M Pro 90 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    33. Mar 23, 2008 7:51 PM (in response to JerryX)

Hey JX

Great to see you still going strong!  Keep it up!

I still keep going but have been on the road a good bit. I hate travel - it screws up my runs although I still manage to get some miles in

I had a really nice run with Tuan and company this weekend.  He premiered his marathon inspiration video as well which was neat.  Next Saturday is the last winter training  session starting at 0900.  I plan to do 6 mlles before the group run (starting at 7:45 or so ) and then will run 10 miles with the group if you are interested

I am starting to ramp back up - I am determined to do a 3:50 marathon and think I can do it

Hope everyone else is well - great to see the regulars still posting away

Dave

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    34. Mar 24, 2008 4:13 AM (in response to Dave "Big Guy" M)

Hey Dave, why not just run the National half marathon? 

Or maybe the full?

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • RKHII83 Pro 166 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    35. Mar 24, 2008 10:42 AM (in response to Reeni)

Reeni -

Good luck with the RnR in Va Beach. My wife and I have run it for the past 3 years along with the Shamrock (3), Dismal Swamp Stomp Half (inaugural last year) and the OBX Half (2).  RnR is a great challenge because you never know what you are going to get as far as weather.  Last year it was 71 at the start and around 76 at the finish so not too bad.  The year before was in the low 80s at the start and 86 at the finish.  Make sure you get a couple of long runs in during some miserable hot weather so you can gauge your body's response to it - and make sure you listen.  At least for us, knowing we had trained in even hotter weather eliminated that concern going into the RnR. 

Good luck - and have fun.  Hopefully you will get the bug and make plans to run the OBX Half in November.

Oh yeah - Go Navy!!

• Reeni Expert 40 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    36. Mar 24, 2008 2:08 PM (in response to RKHII83)

Thanks!  I'm excited about it.  I know the heat will be a factor, but I grew up 3 hrs south of here in south east NC, so I'm used to it under normal circumstances.  Now if I was used to living in Mass like my parents, I'd be more worried.

OBX half in November...now that sounds interesting too. 

This site is a VERY bad influence I think 

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    38. Mar 24, 2008 4:47 PM (in response to JerryX)

Absolutely "YES!" on the water recommendation, JerryX.

It may seem like a little thing but the physiology of dehydration and its impact on muscle function is  NOT a little thing.  Want a sucky long run?  Don't hydrate.  Not that I'm citing personal expereince or anything. . .

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
    Jan 24, 2008
    39. Mar 24, 2008 5:29 PM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

I love all the advice I get here. But I have to say the hydration issue is not me. Ever since I read that dehydration causes headaches, water is the only thing I drink (non-alcoholic anyway) I'm not exaggerating, I drink at least 10-16.9 oz bottle a day just on a normal work day. Anything to lessen a migraine is in my daily lifestyle. Which I think is one of the things I like about running. I've noticed a serious decrease in them since I've started. I run with a bottle of water now....yes I think I have an addiction and people have started to really pick on me about it. Now, the question is.....should I be drinking a sports drink while running? and if so, which one?

Nov 21, 2007
    40. Mar 24, 2008 5:21 PM (in response to Reeni)

Reeni wrote:

I love all the advise I get here. But I have to say the hydration issue is not me. Ever since I read that dehydration causes headaches, water is the only thing I drink (non-alcoholic anyway) I'm not exaggerating, I drink at least 10-16.9 oz bottle a day just on a normal work day. Anything to lessen a migraine is in my daily lifestyle. Which I think is one of the things I like about running. I've noticed a serious decrease in them since I've started. I run with a bottle of water now....yes I think I have an addiction and people have started to really pick on me about it. Now, the question is.....should I be drinking a sports drink while running? and if so, which one?

Hi Reeni -

That's great you drink that much water.  I have found that everyone requires different amounts of water while running.  I go through about 20 oz every hour or so whereas my husband can go 2 hrs with 20 oz of water.  Drink however much you feel you need.  On to your question.  Sports drinks vs water is all person preference.  I say give it a shot and see what you like.  I tried Gatorade and I ended up feeling more thristy so I just drink water.  There are some people that always drink a sports drink.  So I say experiment.

Jan 24, 2008
    41. Mar 24, 2008 5:28 PM (in response to teknofauz)

Migraines are ugly...water is easy   Expirementation when it comes to running has never been my strong point, but tomorrow is a new day. ...oh yeah, and gatorade makes me thirsty too!!  I always thought it was intentional so you'd drink more and get hydrated or buy more

Nov 21, 2007
    42. Mar 24, 2008 5:31 PM (in response to Reeni)

Reeni wrote:

Migraines are ugly...water is easy Expirementation when it comes to running has never been my strong point, but tomorrow is a new day. ...oh yeah, and gatorade makes me thirsty too!! I always thought it was intentional so you'd drink more and get hydrated or buy more

And then have to stop every 30 minutes to pee!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,265 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    43. Mar 24, 2008 6:23 PM (in response to Reeni)

Reeni wrote:

I love all the advice I get here. But I have to say the hydration issue is not me. Ever since I read that dehydration causes headaches, water is the only thing I drink (non-alcoholic anyway) I'm not exaggerating, I drink at least 10-16.9 oz bottle a day just on a normal work day. Anything to lessen a migraine is in my daily lifestyle. Which I think is one of the things I like about running. I've noticed a serious decrease in them since I've started. I run with a bottle of water now....yes I think I have an addiction and people have started to really pick on me about it. Now, the question is.....should I be drinking a sports drink while running? and if so, which one?

Over the long run (pun intended), you need to be concerned about electrolyte replacement as well as fluid replacement.  You can do it after shorter runs and races.  At longer distances you must consider how to do it during the run: definitely the marathon, the low end varies from person to person: 8 miles? 10? half-marathon?  Sports drinks are one way to do electrolyte replacement as well as hydrate.  Other ways are various things you eat with water (gels, sports bars, etc.) and electrolyte capsules, also with water (Endurolyte and Succeed are two).  So you should at least try some of these things on some "shorter" long runs, 8 or 10 miles anyway, to make sure they don't upset your stomach.  Different races serve different sports drinks, gels , etc. so if you know what the race will have try to use it ahead of time.  You don't want to take it for the first time during the race and find your stomach can't handle it.  For example, my stomach is pretty much cast iron up to about 18 - 20 miles.  I can eat or drink whatever is on the course.  But at that mileage my stomach starts to rebel and I can only take water.

Briefly, fluid replacement without electrolyte replacement, over long distances, can lead to hypnoatremia, also called water intoxication.  Symptoms are similar to dehydration but treatment is different.  It is usually only seen at marathon distance or greater.

Len

Nov 21, 2007
    44. Mar 24, 2008 7:07 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw wrote:
    Reeni wrote:

Over the long run (pun intended), you need to be concerned about electrolyte replacement as well as fluid replacement. You can do it after shorter runs and races. At longer distances you must consider how to do it during the run: definitely the marathon, the low end varies from person to person: 8 miles? 10? half-marathon? Sports drinks are one way to do electrolyte replacement as well as hydrate. Other ways are various things you eat with water (gels, sports bars, etc.) and electrolyte capsules, also with water (Endurolyte and Succeed are two). So you should at least try some of these things on some "shorter" long runs, 8 or 10 miles anyway, to make sure they don't upset your stomach. Different races serve different sports drinks, gels , etc. so if you know what the race will have try to use it ahead of time. You don't want to take it for the first time during the race and find your stomach can't handle it. For example, my stomach is pretty much cast iron up to about 18 - 20 miles. I can eat or drink whatever is on the course. But at that mileage my stomach starts to rebel and I can only take water.

Briefly, fluid replacement without electrolyte replacement, over long distances, can lead to hypnoatremia, also called water intoxication. Symptoms are similar to dehydration but treatment is different. It is usually only seen at marathon distance or greater.

Hypnoatremia used to worry me a bit when I was training for MCM last year.  Being new to the whole long distance running and not knowing if what I was drinking was too much for my body got me concerned.  Plus I compared the amount of fluid I drank compared to my husband and that almost convinced me I was drinking way too much.  I remember one time after a long run I drove my husband crazy the rest of the day - would I already be showing symptoms of hypnotremia, is this a symptom, what about that is that normal????  Poor guy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...