Skip navigation

6881 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2008 7:03 PM by Back in the Saddle RSS
mvalenti Community Moderator 84 posts since
Jul 11, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2008 10:44 AM

Pregnant Women and High Heart Rate

Is anyone familiar with the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists stance on monitoring heart during pregnancy?

• Farel Hruska-Stroller Strides Amateur 3 posts since
    Mar 21, 2008
    1. Mar 24, 2008 5:17 PM (in response to mvalenti)
    Re: Pregnant Women and High Heart Rate

Because the OB/GYN's recommendations from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) do not include any reference toward monitoring heart rate during pregnancy, for any reason, I feel that Active should support that stance. It is only cause for undue concern in a healthy pregnancy. There are many studies which have contradictory information and I feel it is important to stay in alignment with ACOG, who can disseminate these various studies for the factual information we all desire. Check out www.acog.org for more information...

ACOG's stance is that in a healthy pregnancy, heart rate is not a reliable indicator of intensity. They claim that RPE (Rating of Perceived Exertion) or Talk Tests should take place of HR monitoring and that pregnant women simply should not exercise to the "point of exhaustion". These guidelines are from ACOG's latest release in 2002

-Farel Hruska, Stroller Strides National Fitness Director, www.strollerstrides.com

In Stride, 

Farel Hruska, National Fitness Director

Stroller Strides, LLC.

===============================
    phone | fax | vm: 800-961-0475
    email: farel@strollerstrides.com
    ===============================

Helping Moms Make Strides In Fitness, Motherhood, and Life ®

www.strollerstrides.com

• adesola4me4love Rookie 1 posts since
    May 6, 2008
    2. May 6, 2008 1:03 PM (in response to mvalenti)

it didnt matter

• Back in the Saddle Amateur 45 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    3. Aug 31, 2008 7:03 PM (in response to mvalenti)

I'm at 4.5 months, and have found my heart rate is not a predicable indicator. I use the breathlessness test - if I can't get my breath then I am going too fast. What this means for me is that during a run I will walk a mile first to get myself into the proper breath pattern before I start running.  Once you get a good blood flow going you should be fine.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. -FDR

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...