Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1085 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2008 9:50 AM by DaveVause
Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 24, 2008 3:49 PM

Mon. 3/24/08

I did an hour of spinning on my bike trainer this morning so that I could give the blister on my foot another day to heal up.  I was going to go longer but the cable went out and then the phone kept ringing and then I had to go make key lime bars for my daughter's birthday.  She's 10!  I hope everyone had a good Easter weekend (even if you don't celebrate Easter).

peace,

Jay

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 25, 2008 9:43 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)
    Re: Mon. 3/24/08

Congrats on your daughter's birthday, Jay. 

So how did you get the blister?  Cotton socks?  I know you'd know better than that!

You're just over 4 weeks out from Frederick.  Satisfied with your training?

Mondays are a rest day for me after my 21-miler on Sunday.  As usual, I did some strength training.

Jul 9, 2007
    3. Mar 25, 2008 12:06 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

I have 3 years of long runs in Smartwools.  Nary a hot spot or callus.  Very lucky that way.

The deadline is 3/28 for signup for Frederick.  I'm fence-sitting.  I ramped the tempo and repeats work too quickly last month and I've been having a bit of PF pain.  I have cut back all speedwork, but not miles.  Signing up for Frederick would really incentivize me to run fast and I'm not sure I should.  So far, I've done 6 runs beyond the 20 mile mark since the 1/1 and I'm looking to build a big, stable, base.

My paramount goal is to be at my best possible in the fall for the 08 MCM.  I'm thinking of sitting the spring out, continuing to progressively train, and come out at my best this fall....skipping the taper and recovery time that a spring marathon would require.

What time do  you expect to run at Frederick?

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    5. Mar 25, 2008 7:39 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

I have been training on a treadmill or elepytical since it has been very windy in Kansas.  But today was nice and calm and thought I would run outside, I can easily do over a mile on a treadmill and not get tired, but today I couldn't make it a half a mile without my knee killing me and the sides of my feet in horrible pain. Why would this happen when I wear the same shoes on a treadmill and the sides of my feet don't hurt then. Anyway I cut my work out short and walked 2 miles. Hoping to walk on the treadmill tomorrow morning before I go to Pilates.

Jul 9, 2007
    7. Mar 26, 2008 7:03 AM (in response to Mandy_C)

Are the shoes you're wearing running shoes?  Do they have less than 400 miles on them and are less than a year old?  Did you run on concrete?

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    8. Mar 26, 2008 7:13 AM (in response to DaveVause)

They are Nike running shoes I bought in January.  There aren't any trails by my house so I was running on the side of the street and when a car came I went to the grass. I should start looking for some trails in Wichita,KS.

Jul 9, 2007
    9. Mar 26, 2008 9:50 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Some things to consider:

• Make sure your shoes are properly selected for your foot, arches, and relative tendency to pronate,

• Never run on concrete: asphalt roads only,

• Be sure you don't run much faster out on the road (some people, me included, tend to run faster off a treadmill),

• Don't run on roads where the cant is too steep.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...