Skip navigation

6707 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2008 7:17 AM by FLKaren Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 26, 2008 10:31 AM (in response to jersey-will)
    Re: my day so far. #$^%$#

jersey-will wrote:

Why should you have to pay the deductible ?. You left your car at the mechanic's shop right ? He had possession of the car overnight right ? I assume the car was either in his garage or on his property. So it should be HIS responsibilty to pay for the damage and your items that were stolen. There is no F'n way I would let him get away with that. It's bad enough that you got ripped off by those thieving SOB's. Now he expects you to submitt it to your insurance company ? The thieves rip you off, the mechanic rips you off, the insurance company rips you off by raising your rates because you made a claim. If I was you Chris, I wouldn't go down with out a fight.

I was thinking the same thing, Chris (though maybe not quite as violently   )  If it was at their shop, THEIR INSURANCE should pay for damage, etc.  You shouldn't have a deductible, just their undying apologies.

Nashville is saved!

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    16. Mar 26, 2008 10:34 AM (in response to Irish Runner77)

Evil Thieves!!  So sorry to hear about your car.  Hang in there.  Glad you weren't physically hurt this time around.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    17. Mar 26, 2008 10:55 AM (in response to Irish Runner77)

IrishRunner77 wrote:

Why did this censor the word 'other?' thats pretty odd.

So I have a Nissan as a rental car for now, and I was just thinking, there is a positive to this.

The could have loaned me a Camry. Then I would have known I was f'ed.

Thank you everyone

Right, unless I tell you about Brenda's experience while driving a Nissan.  There was a transmission fluid leak somewhere(I think pressure hose), the car runs empty and catches fire while on the 805(highway).  Brenda was able to get out but the car was totalled....

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    18. Mar 26, 2008 11:12 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Cars are just not your thing, Chris.

I completely agree with Jersey Will and Nita, there's no way you should be paying for vandalism and theft on their property. Japanese soundtracks??

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    19. Mar 26, 2008 11:33 AM (in response to Courir26)

I agree with you guys in principle. . .   but (this is the legal guy in me that never actually got his law degree) . . . if there is a sign prominently placed (or on the drop off envelope, etc.) that says "not responsible for items in cars left overnight" or something to that effect, they can probably get out of paying.  Most shops I've been too have this.   You're not the first or the last person this will happen to.  Good shops will have a more secure area to leave cars (or security personnel.)

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    20. Mar 26, 2008 11:36 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

There's one way to find out.  Go to your insurance compnay and explain the circumstances.  If they think his company should pay they will let you know.

Len

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Mar 26, 2008 11:38 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)
    x_39_and_holding_x wrote:

I agree with you guys in principle. . .   but (this is the legal guy in me that never actually got his law degree) . . . if there is a sign prominently placed (or on the drop off envelope, etc.) that says "not responsible for items in cars left overnight" or something to that effect, they can probably get out of paying.  Most shops I've been too have this.   You're not the first or the last person this will happen to.  Good shops will have a more secure area to leave cars (or security personnel.)

If their sign says that, then they still have to pay for the repairs to the car. They just don't have to replace the stolen items. If the sign absolves them of responsibility for damage, that's another thing. So check carefully. They should be upfront and willing to make restitution. If they tell you their policy won't cover it, ask to see the policy in writing. If it ain't in writing somewhere, they can't enforce it.

Their insurance policyor lack thereofshould clarify this for you. You're entitled to that information. Make sure you use that entitlement. Don't let them stiff you on word-of-mouth only.

And finally......BUMMER, honey! >:-(

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• jersey-will Pro 87 posts since
    Feb 5, 2008
    22. Mar 26, 2008 11:41 AM (in response to thefirecat)

Sara makes a good point.  It's probably time to look for a new mechanic.

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    24. Mar 26, 2008 1:41 PM (in response to Irish Runner77)

I'm judgemental. But I'm guessing Pep Boys broke into it then.

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    25. Mar 26, 2008 1:49 PM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Don't they have any security cameras?  Pep Boys is a big operation; you'd think they'd be more professional.  I'd check with my insurance and see what they say about who is liable.  I can see them not having responsibility for items inside your car being stolen if there's a disclaimer, but not the car itself on their property!  That sounds like total BS, I don't care what kind of disclaimer sign they have up.

• JerryX Legend 851 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    26. Mar 26, 2008 6:10 PM (in response to Irish Runner77)

IrishRunner77 wrote:

So last n**** I dropped my car off at the mechanic, needed to replace a tire after hitting a road hazard (read: curb) over the weekend. Warranty repair for a brand new tire.

I get a call this morning, saying "I have bad news." I'm thinking rim, wheel, suspension or something...wrong.

Crooks smashed in my window. took all of my CDs along with who knows what else. also busted the steering column to shut the alarm off. left my running shoes alone (but i need to vacuum them out for the glass).

I'm getting to the point where if one more thing happens this year I'm going to find a belltower somewhere or something. (not really. but its a cathartic thought)

i'm sorry this happened to you irish...that sucks.  ****.  it's done though...on with life.

Happy Running!

• RKHII83 Pro 166 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    27. Mar 26, 2008 7:30 PM (in response to Irish Runner77)

Not trying to be a downer or anything, but remember these two things: 

1.  Nothing is so bad that it can't get worse.

2.  No matter how much worse it gets, you aren't Brittany Spears, so it's that much better.

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    28. Mar 27, 2008 2:46 AM (in response to RKHII83)
    RKHII83 wrote:

Not trying to be a downer or anything, but remember these two things: 

1.  Nothing is so bad that it can't get worse.

Death usually tops 'em all. 

2.  No matter how much worse it gets, you aren't Brittany Spears, so it's that much better.

She has enough money to get a new car if a window gets broken. 

In the grand scheme of things, Chris's day is just another sucky event in life.  Yeah, it could have been worse.  At least his car didn't get run into by the crazy church lady in a Camry.

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    29. Mar 27, 2008 5:34 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

Chris go to local park and scoop up all the dog poo. Take this and drop it on the managers desk. Won't get your stuf back but a walk in the park can be therapuetic.  Sorry I am in a mood.

Jimmy

This place is like home!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...