Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3684 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2008 4:37 PM by gatorman10 RSS
davecamire Amateur 87 posts since
Sep 27, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 18, 2007 7:59 PM

The transition from CR's standpoint

Hi folks,

My name is Dave Camire and I am one of the co-founders of Cool Running. Kevin Molloy and I started this business almost thirteen years ago and our mission has been to supply the best information and tools available and offer a friendly environment to our users.

For those of you who have been with us from the beginning, you have witnessed the enormous changes and growth in our site. I fondly remember our first month of operation we received 200 hits and we were thrilled. During our busiest month this year we received over 89 million hits and the site welcomed over 2.3 million visitors. Now that's growth!

However with growth comes challenges and one of ours was supporting an infrastructure that would keep pace with the enormous amount of users we were servicing. Kevin performed miracles by keeping the CR server operational despite the increased load; however band aids will only carry you so far.

By the end of 2006 we were frequently being forced to reboot our system. This often took place in the early morning hours so hopefully it was not obvious when our site was down. Our running logs as designed were also unable to handle the load. We also knew the existing software would not handle many of the features users were requesting on a regular basis.

So with our server maxed, our software prehistoric and our registration system broken we knew it would be impossible to continue the status quo. So with the help of the Active engineering team we embarked on an ambitious project to fix it. BTW both Kevin and I are still heavily involved with Cool Running. I serve as the senior editor of the site and Kevin is a frequent technical consultant. I feel strongly that we (Cool Running and Active) have not abandoned our original mission.

This brings us to today. Our goal was to establish the most stable, feature rich, robust community and tools for our community. Overall the transition went well, but we all fully recognize that there are serious issues that need to be addressed. We are listening to all the feedback and working hard to respond with solutions.

I would like to ask that you just give us a chance. Rest assured there are many folks at CR and Active that worked nights and weekends to manage the transition and are now redoubling efforts to get folks to a good place. I sincerely hope that you will stick with us and show your continued support as we work through this transition.

Thanks for listening,

Dave Camire

Co-founder

www.coolrunning.com

• cgerber Pro 195 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 18, 2007 10:38 PM (in response to davecamire)
    Re: The transition from CR's standpoint

Well, I appreciate where you're coming from, but this move was a

complete and utter failure.   As an engineer at a major (actually THE

major) carrier of internet traffic, if we screwed up a maintenance/move

as bad as this, we'd be out millions and millions of dollars.   I have

a feeling it was quite a rushed operation, one where a very detailed

step-by-step MOP (with contigency and back-out plans) wasn't created

and followed.

After seeing the complete disaster that Active

wrecked upon the Pikes Peak Ascent/Marathon registration, then this

mess, I'm very skeptical of their abilities to do much of anything

right.  I honestly do wish you guys the best of luck though... I've

been where you are, and it's not a good place to be (just be thankful

this is a free site and you're not paying your customers for missed

SLAs)  .

• SLOjim Pro 365 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    2. Dec 20, 2007 5:56 AM (in response to davecamire)

Dave,

Thank you for your past 13 years of hard work.  I found this site 6 or 7 years ago, while training for a comeback marathon after a 5 year running layoff.  I can't tell you how much this site has helped me through injuries and kept my motivation up.  I've also made many friends that aren't just imaginary online friends, but now friends in my real life.

Changes in life are tough....... and I can see that the changes in CR have some problems to work out but I am going to hang around and hopefully watch this site come back to where it will continue to grow.  One thing that I've found amusing is that as you were going through the transition and had the site down, many of us signed up and logged on to kick running.....but it seems like we overloaded that site and have created some of the same problems that you're trying to resolve

Best wishes,

Jim

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    3. Mar 30, 2008 4:34 PM (in response to davecamire)

WOW.  I got a serious stress fracture 2 years ago that almost ended in suicide, but now I'm back.  No one likes change and so far that  includes me.  This is FREE (as pointed out).  I'll give you a break, but no for long if I can't figure out where to start logging miles!

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    4. Mar 30, 2008 4:37 PM (in response to davecamire)

64 posts since 03?  My boss wishes.......  I guess that got lost too???

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...