Skip navigation

6059 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2008 4:52 AM by x_39_and_holding_x 1 2 Previous Next
Run4Cookies Pro 73 posts since
Nov 1, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 31, 2008 6:38 AM

National Marathon

Just thought I'd pop in and describe my experience with the National Marathon ....... it was freaking awesome. 

Super cold start.  What I wouldn't have given for a windbreaker at the beginning.  I swear there were gale-force winds in my face the entire stretch of Constitution.  Nice long hill from Mile 4-7 up to Adams Morgan that I kind of liked.   4000 Half Marathoners jumped ship at 13.1 and about 1400 Full continued on.  So, it was pretty lonely along that back stretch.  The water stations were great - no congestion.  And even though I started in the very last corral, I got across the Start in under 5 minutes.  It, obviously, doesn't have the spectators and fan support that MCM has, but I am a fan of this one. I liked having space to run and you really, really appreciate the spectators who DID come out. And if you hated Haine's Point, the stretch between Mile 20-23 along the river in Anacostia would kill you. It was rough. 

I know they've had problems with this race in the past, but for Year 3, I think it was pretty well run.  I was nervous going in, but everything went so smoothly.  You'd have no idea they were recruiting runners to put together bib packets on Monday. 

Oh, and part (OK, a HUGE part) of my exuberance for this race - I took 35 minutes off my MCM time.  Yippeeeee!!!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Mar 31, 2008 6:47 AM (in response to Run4Cookies)
    Re: National Marathon

Congratulations!  Sounds like you had a good race and a good race experience too.  Sometimes a less crowded race can be much more enjoyable.

Len

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    2. Mar 31, 2008 6:49 AM (in response to Run4Cookies)

Sounds like a GREAT marathon!  And 35 minutes off your time from MCM is super!  Congrats on a great run!

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    3. Mar 31, 2008 7:06 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Now THAt"S worth some serious cookies!  Way to go!

• Yodiwan Pro 123 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    4. Mar 31, 2008 7:48 AM (in response to Run4Cookies)

Way to go Run4Cookies!  Did you by any chance notice that the mile 26 marker came very early?  When I hit 25 I started counting lamp posts and I was up to 17, I think, (about 3/4 of a mile) when I saw the mile 26 marker.  I thought maybe my count was off, so I started sprinting, but ... no finish line.  A little rough, that.  That part by the water was pretty desolate so the handful of spectators who made it out there were very much appreciated!  Water stations were wonderfully manned.  The pacers were hard to find, though and when I did accidentally find them, they didn't have many runners with them, so obviously I wasn't the only one having a tough time tracking them down.  This was my first marathon -- my "test" marathon as I'm calling it -- so I'm hoping to shave off some time from my next one too!

Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not.  When you race him, he will win.

Oct 1, 2007
    6. Mar 31, 2008 8:26 AM (in response to Run4Cookies)

I haven't run a lot of races with pacers (this being my first marathon) but a couple of the bigger halfs I've done had pacers, both times carrying those little flags.  This time the pacers were in orange shirts, but they'd only handwritten their pace times on their back bibs so they weren't really obvious (and needless to say, plenty of runners were wearing orange shirts too).

Overall, it was great experience although I did hit the Wall at mile 19 -- just before that hardcore cyclist guy "biking" with a wheel clamp at the turnaround -- and had a hard time slogging through the next few miles until I got my second wind at 24.  Although I paced myself well at the beginning, running much slower than my half pace, I'm told I shouldn't have sped up at mile 13 (something I imagine I would have known had I opened my training book before losing it)!  I'm planning to do another this fall, either NY (where I'm from) or possibly Chicago (hoping the weather won't repeat itself).

Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not.  When you race him, he will win.

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Mar 31, 2008 8:35 AM (in response to Run4Cookies)

Congratulations Cookies and Yodi!  Cookies, 35 minutes off of your MCM time is incredible!  What do you think was the difference this time around?

I will run for cupcakes!!

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Mar 31, 2008 8:48 AM (in response to Run4Cookies)

That is terrific and I know what you mean about helping a friend over the finish line.  I want to incorporate some speedwork and tempo runs into my training this year too.  Did you use a particular training plan?

I will run for cupcakes!!

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    11. Mar 31, 2008 2:08 PM (in response to Run4Cookies)

Congrats Cookies and Yodi! 35 minutes is an awesome time reduction, Cookies! Yodi, Chicago and New York are my two favorites; you'll be in for a great experience either way.

• hblust Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 12, 2007
    12. Mar 31, 2008 2:16 PM (in response to Run4Cookies)

Congrats to you and all the National Marathon finishers. My wife and I took the Metro into town and watched from the 5 mile mark and could see the cold on some of the runnners faces. One observation was the windbur on the runners who were brave and wore shorts. After the juggler came by we left and jogged home and got about 7 miles in.

Oct 1, 2007
    13. Mar 31, 2008 2:42 PM (in response to hblust)

I quite liked the temps -- started with a long-sleeved shirt, but chucked it after a mile and ran the rest of the way in shorts and a tank top. 

Thanks to you and your wife for coming out and supporting all the runners!  (And thanks to DC for opening the Metro early -- what a nightmare that would have been if we'd all had to take cabs / drive to the start.)

• JerryX Legend 851 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    14. Mar 31, 2008 4:31 PM (in response to Yodiwan)

Excellent Effort.  Well done on the progress over and above MCM...

did you see the mayor out there?  he was quite proud of his 3:44 time...which i believe was a PR for him.

Happy running!

Happy Running!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...