Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

264461 Views 1,829 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2008 10:05 AM by michaelmack33 Go to original post 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 Previous Next
  • WayneD Expert 59 posts since
    Sep 5, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,770. Apr 1, 2008 4:20 AM (in response to Runner Chick'en)
    Re: The iPod conflict brews in racing

I'm sure it is, as funny as the article was, it could be a reality someday if some people have their way!

Happy April Fools Day!:)

WayneD

• Runner Chick'en Pro 145 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    1,771. Apr 1, 2008 4:26 AM (in response to WayneD)

Can you imagine a bunch of runners trying to run in those things   You know, since they passed this stupid rule about music devices (with zero proof that they are even dangerous), nothing they do could possibly surprise me.  Should be an interesting day...lol... 

• RKHII83 Pro 166 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    1,772. Apr 1, 2008 3:32 PM (in response to WayneD)

Hey Wayne,

Hilarious story - as we suspected, the "For more click here" link at the bottom of the article takes you to the Wikipedia page for April Fool's Day.

And to think there are likely some readers out there who were salivating over the prospect that this might have been true............

Have a good one.

• NHSenior Legend 387 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    1,773. Apr 2, 2008 7:04 AM (in response to RKHII83)

<<<<< And to think there are likely some readers out there who were salivating over the prospect that this might have been true............

Certainly not thinking such a thing because unlike you guys I "KNOW" what is going on behind the scenes. Like I've said the USATF has cowardly ducked the issue for this year and you guys lap up their inclusiveness sounding "statements". They don't believe what they are saying for half a second but they are wimps who eventually will suck it up and ignore all the emotional blackmail being spewed from those who would ruin something for their own pleasure. They will have no choice either through an insurance provider crackdown or perhaps sooner from an even higher authority. Read on.

The comforting truth is that the IAAF is now turning up the gas on the issue. They don't give a hoot about what runners think and have never been known to be effected by "threats". In fact they tend to react in entirely the opposite direction of what those who threaten them hope. Definately my kind of people. If you don't know what I'm talking about, do a few googles searches about the London Marathon and ipod.

If the IAAF says NO then every "serious" marathon on the planet will get in line or lose the participation of the running elite and whether some of you guys hold the elite in disdain or not, they ultimately call the tune in this running sport which, after all, IS about competition in the end. and yes it is ironic that I used the term "call the tune" in the previous sentence.

• JacobBunner Pro 79 posts since
    Sep 25, 2007
    1,774. Apr 2, 2008 3:10 PM (in response to NHSenior)

I did google, found this gem:

Tuesday, 01 April 2008

-

iPod 'safety' ban proposed for London Marathon

iPod 'safety' ban proposed for London Marathon

Hurting yourself is a great way to learn lessons. We learn to take extreme caution with boiling water as a child, commonly as a result of scalding ourselves at some point. We also learn, albeit a little later in life, that blindfold bondage with dwarfs is a bad idea, because they invariably carry knives and don't tell you upfront. Yes, we've all learned lessons in our time. But if a proposal to be discussed this September at the IAAF Road Running Commission's annual meeting gets enough support, Britain will reach new levels of hectoring over-caution and important lessons will be missed. The proposal to be considered by the global organisation that governs the world's marathons is that iPods should be banned from the London Marathon because, diddums, someone might trip over if they can't hear another runner coming up beside them. No, it's not an April Fool. This rule is already in place for marathons in the US, where the governing body blamed insurance companies for jacking up their rates if iPods were allowed. In an interview with the Guardian, David Bedford, the race director of the London Marathon, said: "It's a rule that will not be picked up in this country. It is completely unenforceable." We think this is a shame. In fact, we think deaf people should be banned from marathons too, because they're a liability for similar reasons. Old people, as well, obviously. And let's ban the Sun. Not the highbrow tabloid, the big ball of flame: it gets everyone hot and sweaty. If anyone wants us, we'll be in a sealed, padded, reinforced box to protect us from falling insects that might get in our mouths and cause us to choke. PS. Please ban insects. They're a liability. -Nate Lanxon

• Kim Runs Pro 71 posts since
    May 1, 2008
    1,775. May 4, 2008 12:07 PM (in response to RKHII83)

I like your thoughts!!! The original comments made from ??whomever?? that listening to your iPod increases the chances of accidents, etc. is like saying listening to your car while you're driving causes more accidents. I keep my iPod on medium volume; for safety purposes and for listening out for others on the trail(sidewalk, road, etc) with me. The last time i checked also, i have peripheral vision and i implement it at all times. I love the music...it keeps me moving and grooving during my runs. Hey, everyone should be able to apply whatever method they chose for enhancing their running experience. As long as it doesn't imfringe upon the rights of others, of course. I still can't imagine how having an iPod on is a problem. A dare ask for examples as I am sure to get an earful (no pun intended). Tonight on my quick 6-miler you can be sure i will have my iPod in and breezing through my run as if i am Rocky himself charging up those stairs in Philly!

A healthy mom is an alive mom and my kids need their mama ALIVE!
  • RKHII83 Pro 166 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    1,776. May 8, 2008 4:55 PM (in response to Kim Runs)

Hey Kim,

You should have been in the thread a month or so ago.  It was crazy.  Just read some of the stuff NHS wrote - his mind is quite possibly the narrowest in human history - no more than 3 or 4 nano angstroms.  Conjecture backed up by opinion, presented as fact.  And when politely pressed for source information -  WHAMMO - subject change.

Life is too short to get wrapped up with twits, but he did provide some amusement.  The spirited repartee between him and parker was hilarious.

But hey, it comes down to this - if the race allows ipods, I will listen.  If the race doesn't allow ipods, I won't run in it.

I'll just slap in some late '60s Grateful Dead, String Cheese Incident and Widespread Panic and off I go.

Peace.

• Doraine Rookie 10 posts since
    Apr 30, 2008
    1,777. May 8, 2008 4:58 PM (in response to Active Toby)

I have also been reading about it here: www.traxee.com.  A women's running site.  Its such a touchy subject geez!1

Sep 5, 2007
    1,778. May 8, 2008 5:20 PM (in response to Kim Runs)

And I was warned about the IPOD police taking medals away from winners. Well, that was wrong. I ran across the finish line in my first event of the season with my IPOD rocking and grabbed a bronze! Accepted the medal with my headphones around my neck. No IPOD police anywhere!

WayneD

"Age is an Attitude!"

• nikeRdrunner79 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    1,779. May 10, 2008 8:35 PM (in response to Active Toby)

there is an easy solution to all of this non sense of not being allowed to wear headphones and listen to music while jogging.  if you love running and know your results in your heart are afterall what matters. i encourage everyone in the NIKE+ family to start running these USATF races as BANDIT RUNNERS.  yep i just said it. don't pay for the race, don't wear a number, just show up and run and laugh when you run across the finish line knowing in your heart you accomplished this race.  it's a free country and you  can run where you want.  I'm also thinking about getting a tshirt made that has USATF on it and a big pair of headphones on either side of USATF.  if we all start wearing these tshirts it will gain attention and they will see we're not paying for a few lousy water stops....bring your own water bottle attached to you and bring your own gels...save 85 or more dollars...  driving to marathon with gasoline @ $3.64 a gallon, investing 100 dollars in a pair on nike+ shoes, running across finish line with nike+ ipod.....PRICELESS

PRE LIVES

Nov 23, 2007
    1,780. May 11, 2008 6:01 PM (in response to nikeRdrunner79)

<<<<to start running these USATF races as BANDIT RUNNERS. yep i just said it. don't pay for the race, don't wear a number, just show up and run and laugh when you run across the finish line knowing in your heart you accomplished this race.

And, you lowlife weasle, you will just have screwed up the finish order and scoring results for others. When it is not a chip race you create a real mess for everyone. Aren't you just ever so special. Yessiree, the other runners who paid and volunteer race management are just folks that you feel you can screw over.

<<< it's a free country and you can run where you want.

Lovely incorrect assumption that bandits always make.

When events get permits to encumber roads and other areas for special use, one of things they get is some control over who can be included and how can be excluded. Ever notice that protesters get arrested at events. How do think that happens and under what set of rules. Since, as a bandit, you don't become an official part of the race, your are not covered by the event insurance. That may be fine with you, but the city and town are not so happy about uninsured peole so that is just one of the many reasons why the "official" police can and sometimes do become an official arm of the event. "If" a race got upset enough they could have your sorry butt arrested if you made enough of a public stink about not leaving the area if asked.

So just because most RDs are too timid to deal with you, they can if they wanted to. In this life, you need to know where you stand before you make bold moves. Way too many people hear rnd believe the urban legends about "rights". You have fewer than you think when you decided to act like an AH, and it should be no surprise to many following this thread that I just love it when your type get a real world education at an event. Doesn't happen often enough for me but when it does, it is ever so sweet.

BTW, if you and others don't like my tone, perhaps you should not be or support (by shooting the messenger) lowlifes like this guy.

Sep 5, 2007
    1,781. May 11, 2008 4:34 PM (in response to nikeRdrunner79)

Wow, gonna have to agree with NH on this one! (WOW!) There is no place for bandits in an organized event. No way.

I believe that IPODS are safe if used in a responsible way and NH Senor does not. What we both agree on are rules.

If the rules state NO IPODS, I don't run in the race. A simple protest on my part. But your form of protest is way over the line and gets NOTHING accomplished.

WayneD

• nikeRdrunner79 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    1,782. May 20, 2008 7:34 AM (in response to WayneD)

i ran a marathon this weekend and chose not to wear the ipod because of fear of disqualification...well guess what, tons of people had them on everywhere i looked and everyone recieved their medals etc.  i had a new pr but i think it was just because of better training.  the fact of the matter is i would of enjoyed the race much more with music and not hearing people gassing it up around me

• DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1,783. May 19, 2008 11:01 AM (in response to nikeRdrunner79)

I guess I don't understand the big stink. I would imagine "elite" runners are mentally absorbed with stride counts, breath counts, listening for footsteps, etc. If I were trying to "win" a race, I probably wouldn't wear one either. But, I am in no danger of winning any race any time soon. Therefore, I look at the rules that say "no iPods" and ignore them, which is as it should be.

I can tell you one thing, the first race to actively kick someone out for using an iPod would be a freakin' ghost town on the next running. I would love to have someone try it on me (I've been told that I am slightly intimidating). I can see the headlines "Runner arrested for using iPod." Great publicity.

NHSenior, I can understand your objection, and if your goal is to keep running "pure" and unsullied by the unwashed masses (myself included) then you are destined to be running in very lonely races.

This is supposed to be fun, and everything about running should be inclusive and encouraging. You sound like those curmudgeons who spout things like " You can't say you've run a marathon if you walked part of it."

You won't meet a bigger bunch of rule-oriented people than the Marine Corps. If they don't have a problem with it, then why should you?

Nov 23, 2007
    1,784. May 21, 2008 6:06 AM (in response to DEADOCMIKE)

<<<I guess I don't understand the big stink.

The only stink is the one rule breakers bring. It's the same stink that socially uncooperative people bring to any gathering. The stink isn't there until you get there. Not much to understand. Seems pretty clear to me.

<<< I would imagine "elite" runners are mentally absorbed with stride counts, breath counts, listening for footsteps, etc.

"Imagination" can be faulty. "elite" folks in any endeavor generally do what they do without all the seemingly conscious stuff that people like you attribute to them. Just another example of things you don't understand.

<< Therefore, I look at the rules that say "no iPods" and ignore them, which is as it should be.

So, it's all about you. Right?

<<<I can tell you one thing, the first race to actively kick someone out for using an iPod would be a freakin' ghost town on the next running.

Well Mr rocket scientist, you'd be wrong because the events that are enforcing the rules are selling out earlier and earlier as they always have.

You see, the IPOD thing really doesn't matter in the end to you loud mouths because you are not going to pass up the better races just to spite essentially nobody but you. More and more races have figured out that the PR has not hurt any race yet because you twits are spinning in the wind independently with no way to really cause any sizable group problem. And there are plenty of runners to replace you in the registration queue anyway. You complainers are being seen as insignificant when it comes down to it. Emotional blackmail is seldom effective after the initial assault. It just takes most managers longer to realize they were pandering to you guys when their event is more important in the end. You loose.

<<NHSenior, I can understand your objection, and if your goal is to keep running "pure" and unsullied by the unwashed masses (myself included) then you are destined to be running in very lonely races.

It has nothing to do with purity, it has to do with safety and liability exposure in the end. You guys bring up all the other issues and because people like me happen to comment on your other issues you so you incorrectly say that we think they are germane to the main safety/liability. there are not germane at all.

<<<< You won't meet a bigger bunch of rule-oriented people than the Marine Corps. If they don't have a problem with it, then why should you?

Well a personal real world answer would be one your parents probably told you (or should have told you) many times. "If Johnny's parents let him jump off the cliff, that's up to them. We aren't going to let you do it." . Should I continue to talk to you like the denied child you are acting like?

Perhaps the MC doesn't get involved in the rules because the MC does not own nor manage the Marine Corp Marathon (Did you know that?). Not enforcing rules does sound a bit out of character for the MC which should have had bells going off in your head that maybe the MC does not call the shots in that event. They bless it but don't manage it. Closed courses are a different issue when it comes to safety, but the increasing congestion and increased ipod use are conspiring to make "incidences" more noticable even on closed courses. What's happened is that non-ipod users are actually paying more attention to the misqueues, cut offs and cluelessness that ipods carry around them like a fog. Like I've told many of the previouse pro-ipod posters, more noise about the issue please. It's working.

Got any more well thought out stuff for us.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...