Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1548 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2008 11:02 AM by dj2229
Stanze Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 1, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 8, 2008 1:14 PM

Taking the Leap- Half Marathon to Full Marathon

I just completed my first Half Marathon.  I did so well in it that I decided my next goal is a full marathon.  I downloaded an 18 week program off the internet and am ready to go.  The only thing is the marathon I want to do isn't until October.  How much should I run each week (days and miles) until I am 18 weeks out so that I can keep my endurance? 

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 14, 2008 9:00 AM (in response to Stanze)
    Re: Taking the Leap- Half Marathon to Full Marathon

I would gradually increase your mileage until you get to the something similar to Week 1 of your training program.  Start off by adding maybe a mile per week to your long run.

Good luck!

Jay

ps - Which marathon will you run in October?

• dj2229 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    2. May 8, 2008 11:02 AM (in response to Stanze)
    Re: Taking the Leap- Half Marathon to Full Marathon

I am in a similar situation. Just completed my first half marathon in Nashville on the 26th. 2 days later I was signed up for the full Twin Cities Marathon in October. And like you, Im doing an 18 week training program. So what am I doing for the next few weeks?  Well, my long run this week is going to be 5 miles and then next weekend Im doing a 10k (6.2 Miles). That race is a little bit different as in half of the course is off road on some grassy walking trails. So a bit of cross country running with a natural 5k. Should be fun, but yet keep my miles up there for week 1 of the program.

Which marathon are you doing in October? 

Good luck on everything!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points