Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4603 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2007 8:56 PM by Run@Dawn
aj5hoopstar Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2005 5:10 PM

Sit ups/ push ups

I've just recently started doing 100 push-ups and 200 sit-ups am and pm about 2 weeks ago.  I understand that muscle just doesn't happen over a week or two, but am I doing what needs to be done to strengthen my core and arms/chest?

• Becca971 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Apr 15, 2005 4:19 PM (in response to aj5hoopstar)
    Re: Sit ups/ push ups

If you have the stamina to handle that kind of addition to your regular gym workout, it certainly is quite an ambitious addition and yes, it will contribute to your upper body and abdominal development. Everyone of us, though, has a genetic limitation as to our ability to develop muscle and achieve that perfect physique. Aiming for your own personal best is the way to go!

I'd be a little concerned about those sit-ups, though. There's lots of safer and just as effective alternatives out there.

Barbara, CPT

• Tenacity82 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Apr 19, 2005 10:07 PM (in response to aj5hoopstar)

Try this out, do half as much as your max. every hour that you are awake in push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, dips. You will increase your stamina and increase your max. as this happens you increase the amount you can do hourly. Training for triathlons, duathlons, adventure racing, etc., is all about stamina and body strength vs. body wieght.

• rkarboviak Pro 154 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. May 7, 2005 10:03 AM (in response to aj5hoopstar)

I must question the reasoning behind doing so many pushups & crunches.  I feel a person would be better off doing a full body strength training regimen, just 2-3x a week, in place of all that daily stuff.  Your body will be able to recover better from the full body routine, better than it would from doing just pushups/crunches on an endless mission.  Sorry to be so blunt, but it sounds like your program is lacking some direction and goals for a good solid strategy-based solution to your needs.

Other advantages of doing a full body workout is that you'll help your entire body work as one, in strengthening your core, legs & upper body, enabling you to gain better fitness benefits overall.  Full body workouts can be done with a set of adjustable dumbbells & a stability ball.  Focus on exercises that target your quads, hamstrings, chest, back, shoulders, and midsection. 

A quick example of exercises for those body parts would be:

Dumbbell Squats

Dumbbell Lunges

Dumbbell Chest Press on Stability Ball

Dumbbell Bent Over Row (for lats/biceps)

Dumbbell Side Raises or Shoulder Press

Ab Crunches on a stability ball

Back Extensions or Hip Bridge on stability ball

This would give your total body a good start in strengthening it up overall. 

Just some suggestions,

Rick Karboviak, CSCS

www.thetipedge.com

• Becca971 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. May 12, 2005 7:18 AM (in response to aj5hoopstar)

The following may be of interest to those reading this thread:

I just got my issue of 'Fitness Matters', the ACE professional's magazine. News flash: researchers at Auburn University-Montgomery in Alabama have found that Pilates exercises are better than basic crunches for challenging the abs.  The say that the criss-cross, which is similiar to the bicycle (done lying on the floor), while rotating elbows (hands behind head) challenges the external obliques more effectively. The pilates 'Teaser', which is similiar to a slow, full sit-up works the rectus abdominis more effectively.

Barbara. CPT

• DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. May 19, 2005 9:45 AM (in response to aj5hoopstar)

It sounds to me like you have added some very good exercises to your regimen. Since this is an opinion board, my opinion is, stick to using your own body weight wherever possible. One, if you do that, your gym is always with you. You can do a simple pushup/situp (I actually prefer leglifts and crunches as they are easier on my back) deep squat workout  anywhere, so you can't say "Well, the hotel didn't have a gym".

Also, you can do it anytime. Roll out of bed and hit the floor. Drop during your lunch hour or before bedtime.

Finally, If you do the exercises the correct way, slow and controlled without bouncing or swinging, you will be less apt to hurt yourself. We have all seen the guys in the weight room swinging the huge weights or bouncing the bench bar off their chest, basically inviting muscle pulls or ligament or tendon damage.

You want stamina? Do them in sets one right after the other without out a rest break. I would recommend adding a few exercises such as deep squats using only your body weight. Do a few sets of 50 of that, and you will feel it. If you get bored with the simple pushup, change it up. Do dive bombers, or diamond pushups. I have recently added a set of dive bombers and do my pushups with one hand on a soccer ball, to give added work to the rotator cuff muscles that stabilize the shoulder.

If you have been able to add those exercises to your regimen, and you do them in good form, slowly and with control, you have the workout you need.

• abselite Amateur 19 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Jul 19, 2005 1:09 PM (in response to aj5hoopstar)

As always, my first question is 'What are your goals?' Why are you performing the sit-ups? What is it you want to accomplish?  I consider myself an 'expert' in core strength and training. It is my opinion that I have one of the strongest, most conditioned cores in the world.(and I thank God) www.skagitvalleyherald.com/articles/2004/01/09/sports/sports01.txt   Or, Google-Skip Chase

That being said, I am often asked, 'How many crunches do I have to do every day to have a six pack like yours?" If the goal is to see a six pack, there are a who;e lot of other changes that need to happen before you start to see a six pack, other than sit-ups or crunches! What are your goals?

• mkhan62 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Dec 19, 2006 6:49 PM (in response to aj5hoopstar)

hey...im new here....and i am a fit and active boy....and i would really appreciate if you could tell me the abs excercise because i want six packs.. the number of situps or crunches every day???

• mkhan62 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Dec 20, 2006 3:47 PM (in response to aj5hoopstar)

my goal is to have a fit body....with: abs(sixpack), muscels, broad chest, good physique, etc..what im tryin to say is that i just wanna look like a fighter(boxer) because all my friends have a fantastic body and noone is ready to take out some time and tell me.... i dont have a fat belly or anything iam a fit boy.... i just want to look like a perfect athelete... and for that i would like to work on my abs and musceles first.... waitin for your reply??

• Run@Dawn Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    11. Aug 24, 2007 8:56 PM (in response to aj5hoopstar)

There is a nice core Workout on Runners magazine website that will take alot of stress of your back. Check it out

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...