Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2971 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2008 7:57 PM by Guest
recdwyer Amateur 22 posts since
Apr 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 19, 2008 2:22 PM

Osgood-Schlatter disease

I've read the causes for this disease: "New bone forms from a cartilage growth plate located at either end of the bone. Cartilage isn't as strong as bone, and stress

on the growth plate can cause it to become swollen and painful, especially if the child is very active during his or her growth spurt."

I'm curious as to how many out there have experienced this or have children that have? Concerned about how long it will last.

• Coach_Earl Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Apr 20, 2008 8:55 PM (in response to recdwyer)
    Re: Osgood-Schlatter disease

I had this in both knees ( one more than the other) when I was in junior high school.  I played a lot of basketball and that is when it bothered me most. My doctor actually had to put me on cruthes and not let me play because I would not stop playing.  The pain was fairly bad and it probably lasted about 3-4 moths. I don't know if this will vary by person....but I still have bumps below my knee caps where the calcium built up on the upper end of my shin. The doctor told me it was because I was growing too fast and the tendons that were connected to my kneecap were not stretching quickly enough to keep up with leg bone growth. Like I said I was in seventh grade when it was the worst and it bothered me for a year or so but not enough for me to stop except for a 3-4 month period duing basketball season. I am now 42 years old and do not have any problems at all. Hope this helps!

• Currently Being Moderated
    2. Apr 20, 2008 9:07 PM (in response to recdwyer)

I had osgood-schlatter's growing up and was worse during highschool while playing basketball. My MD told me the same thing..to stop playing sports or ease off. The bump below your knee is microtrauma at the tendon bone junction. I just played through the pain. If you are going to stay active, look into buying a chopat strap...decreases the force on the patellar tendon (distributes the pressure) to use during exercise, ice after activity and try to maintain good range of motion in your hamstrings. NSAIDS help too (pain meds when necessary).

Scott

• nestleyMA Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 21, 2008
    3. Apr 21, 2008 8:34 AM (in response to Coach_Earl)

Hey CoachEarl,

I have also heard that it is caused by "growing too fast and the tendons that were connected to my kneecap were not stretching quickly enough to keep up with leg bone growth."

Do you think that means it primarily affects tall people?

• Currently Being Moderated
    4. Apr 22, 2008 7:57 PM (in response to nestleyMA)

I don't know for sure but I would tend to think that is a possibility because I am now 6'-4" and my buddy that had it at the same time is now 6'-6". We both had it in 7th grade at the time of a big growth spurt

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points