Skip navigation

2976 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2008 8:18 PM by heat3232 RSS
heat3232 Amateur 8 posts since
Apr 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2008 12:56 PM

Average time needed to recover from blown ACL

Has anyone had to go through this or know someone else who experienced it? I'm curiuos what the typical recovery time/procedure is and a little nervous to hear the answer (that it's going to be effecting prime recruitment time this season)

• Emily.O Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 13, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 22, 2008 1:59 PM (in response to heat3232)
    Re: Average time needed to recover from blown ACL

I tore my ACL at the end of October and had surgery in early December.  I also have a number of friends who have gone through the surgery.  Depending on the doctor you go to, you can get a range of answers about recovery time.  The shortest time that I've been told for a complete recovery is 5 months.  The more common time frame is 6-9 months and most of my friends have been on the shorter end of that. This depends largely on how fast you heal and how you do with your rehab.  The recovery time also seems to be shorter if you choose to have a cadaver tendon put in as apposed to a portion of your own patellar tendon.  I had a cadaver replacement and I definitely recommend it.  Some of my friends that chose to have the patellar tendon as a replacement have said that they still have pain kneeling years later.  (Definitely not ideal if you are a catcher.)

My doctor also said that aggressive rehab could be substituted for surgery in some cases.  I knew that I wouldn't be happy with my level of performance without an ACL so I had the surgery. Since it sounds like you are a serious athlete I'm assuming that you'll want surgery as well. But if you are concerned about missing the summer recruiting tournaments you may want to talk to your doctor about doing aggressive rehab for the time being. This way you can still play in some of the larger tournaments and have surgery after.  So you could go to the big Independence Day Tournament (if your team is going to that one) and have surgery after that in mid July.  This way you will be ready to play again by the spring season.

You will probably be on crutches for the first month.  After that you will start walking and strengthening your quadriceps muscles.  You will start lifting light weights and at around 4-5 months you will be able to run in a straight line on a flat surface.  Again, this all depends on how well you heal and how you do with your rehab.  Do your exercises!!

I hope this helps and good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...