Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10993 Views 50 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2009 12:29 PM by ncrunner334 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • HayHay74 Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 4, 2008

I am not athletic at all and I just started running seriously this week. I am out of shape and yeah it hurst but how can you not love it. That high you get when you just finished a tough training work out. So I can really say that I started enjoying running this week because I took it seriously and had fun with it.

• ramberg Rookie 15 posts since
    May 28, 2007

In HS  I was tops in all the Presidential Physical Fitness awards and held many school records.  But I could NOT run the mile in the allotted time so failed to get the covered 'patch' that I wanted.

Fast forward 30 years.  Yup, 48 yrs old last year and decided I would try the C25k program.  LOVED it!  But winter came ( I live in N. Minnesota) and I quit running in October.  I have felt my body slowly slide back to slothlike and soft.  And have hated it!  Soooooo, I'm back with the program and I can hardly WAIT for each night after work to get my shoes on and get outside and move around.  I'm so sad I quit for several months.  But I find that I am just CRAVING the runs now.  Plus it's like having psychotheapy sessions without the nasty fees! 

It's very hard to explain, but I love it now more than I did last summer, when I actually DID get in pretty good shape.  So, slowly I reclimb the ladder.  And come next winter, I am NOT going to quit!

• coriander1209 Amateur 63 posts since
    Feb 11, 2008

I would have to say after i finished my first 5k race.  Crossing that finish line was exhilirating.

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004

I don't know that I have ever enjoyed running itself, but I always enjoy setting goals and planning how to meet them and working toward them.  The process of development is enjoyable and seeing potential and striving to reach it.

• NissaRLTW Rookie 12 posts since
    Nov 21, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    34. Apr 22, 2008 10:02 PM (in response to SportiGrl)
    Re: How long until you started enjoying running?

When I was a kid I LOVED running. I would run everywhere and race my brother to school. I would tease the boys so they would chase me and I would outrun them ... fast forward 20 years .... When I started running again at 34 I enjoyed the concept of running/training for a 5k. But I didn't really ENJOY running until about 6 weeks into a marathon training program when I went for a long run in the forest. It was the first time a run just felt good. Since then I get that feeling at least briefly in almost every long run I do (except track workouts!).  I found I don't really relax and 'enjoy' the run until after about 3 - 4 miles though.

• Runner Chick'en Pro 145 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008

I hated running when I first started.  I would say I didn't really enjoy it until I ran my first 5k, about 6 months between when I started and the race.  Once that was behind me, I started to realize that maybe I did enjoy running, even though it was very hard for me!  Now, even when a run is challanging, I know that I love to run.

• ModenaRunner Rookie 1 posts since
    May 5, 2008

I started running last week and have enojyed everyday! (all two of them)

1.7 miles on the treadmill for 15 minutes - and - 3 miles at night for 22mins 30 secs.

• finallyarunneragain Rookie 13 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. May 26, 2008 12:18 PM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)

Like many of the others I enjoyed running from the very beginning!!!  I had never run and happen upon the C25K program and decided to give it a try.  I enjoyed it so much and after completing the program I ran a 5K.  Unfortunately I stopped running after that race but always longed to start again.  I would admire the runners I would see on the road and say I would get back to running.  It's the only form of exercise (well, I enjoy step-aerobics too) that I can say I long to do.  So, last week I finally started the C25K program again and I'm truly loving it!!!  I hope not to stop running this time.

• TraceyPA Amateur 14 posts since
    Dec 18, 2007
    38. May 26, 2008 1:59 PM (in response to twosirius)

I have been asking this question also!  I am hoping ANYDAY NOW!

• B.Allyn Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 24, 2008
    39. Jun 25, 2008 5:40 PM (in response to wkm99)

Hey, I can relate to that.  I have been running for about 6 weeks now.  Its been a real killer. I don't really like running but my Aunt and Uncle (who I live with) are making me run for cross country for school ( first year of high school) and I hate it right now!! It's is getting a little better but if you can give me some words of encouragment that would help!!!!!!!

• Jim Sullivan032 Rookie 504 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I hated my first season running track, as I went into it with no preparation and wasn't the slightest bit competitive. After running that summer to get ready for cross-country in the fall, I loved the next season.

So, I didn't enjoy it until I started working a lot harder at it.

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008

Wait what's this??? You're suppose to enjoy running???!!   Get out!   Sorry my stupid sense of humor.  I know when I'm running I can't wait to finish and when I'm finished I can't wait to do it again.   So I am no help as you can see.

• Doraine Rookie 10 posts since
    Apr 30, 2008

Wow.  well, I'll have to say the first time I hit the ground running!  I started in Track in highschool...so it began as something I loved...I have gone back and forth over the years, but am now actively trying to up my mileage. I visit this other site www.traxee.com ( a women's running site) and it has really been a helpful tool, with all its cool logging stuff, but also with motivation...I think one of the site experts started when she was in her 30's as a smoker...her life has def turned around...I wonder if that sucked?! Anyway, good Q...and fun responses.

Best Wishes,

~Dory

• Tod Thames Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008

It took me about 6 months, although I've been running for about 18 years, I never enjoyed it.  As a matter of fact I really hated it, but had to run out of neccessity (military career).   I became serioius about 3 years ago and started a training program and adding distance.  About 6 months after that I REALLY started enjoying it.  Long runs in the early mornings.  WOW.  Nothing compares.

• dbernicky Rookie 13 posts since
    Feb 23, 2006

Some people do take to it like a fish to water - there are always naturals. For myself it took a good two months or so before it kicked in as enjoyable and a little longer before it became a neon king kong.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...