Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3930 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2008 6:30 AM by RohdeSP
Slowmarsptv1 Legend 250 posts since
Mar 3, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 28, 2008 12:06 PM

Metal Cleats Finally Approved.....Good...Bad..or..Ugly?

I don't understand why now in the year 2008, the NFHS(National Federation of State High Schools Association) has passed the rule to allow high school softball teams to wear metal spikes.  I Believe Metal cleats provide better traction on nearly all surfaces, especially on frozen, wet, extremely hard or under-maintained fields. But many players will be uncomfortable wearing metal spikes for the first time.  Will this bring on more injuries, or will it improve the skills in the High School Softball Game?

• Katty M Amateur 8 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008

I think it will improve the game as long as players don't use them to injure others. Sliding is my only concern obvioiusly, but I think it'll be okay.

• RohdeSP Legend 459 posts since
    Mar 3, 2008

I dont know if this is a good idea. I am just thinking of thia at a safety stand point. The obvious dangers are sliding with cleats up and spiking an opposing player in the leg. High school players are still amatures and still need coaching on the proper sliding techniques. Accidents do happen and this could cause some serious injury. My next safety concern is self imposed. Metal cleats do get more traction on all types of surfaces.  This can cause problems on players that are not used to wearing metal cleats on different surfaces. Metals cleats stick in the dirt/grass better than molded cleats. Quick change of directions can cause problems when a players plants and turns, thier body goes one direction and the cleat is still stuck in the dirt going the other direction, and this can ruin knees. I have seen it happen in the pros before. Also, more and more school are putting in turf fields, and that can cause even more injuries. Just my two cents.

Legend Status

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...