Skip navigation

3900 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2008 10:15 AM by Jeanne Lynam RSS
JBan Pro 83 posts since
Oct 29, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 15, 2008 9:44 AM

Best D-1 Player in the Country

Who is your pick for the best D-1 player in the country?

Best Pitcher?

Best Infielder?

Best Outfielder?

Best Hitter?

Overall Best Player?

• Jeanne Lynam Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008
    1. Apr 18, 2008 9:07 PM (in response to JBan)
    Re: Best D-1 Player in the Country

I believe one of the best pitchers is Virginia Tech's Angela Tincher.  She has been a integral part of the Hokie's success since her freshman year.

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    2. Apr 23, 2008 1:16 PM (in response to Jeanne Lynam)

I agree with you on Tincher. She's one great pitcher. Do you think she has a chance of winning ACC pitcher of the year for a second time?

I would also argue for Katie Burkhart, a senior pitcher for Arizona State University.  She was last year's Pac-10 pitcher of the year. Going into this season she had 1,157 strikeouts. I can only imagine she would tally quite a few onto that total by the end of her senior year.  There are only 30 or so pitchers in NCAA history with 1,000+ career strikeouts and Katie is one of them. Not shabby!

• Lesley Oz Amateur 7 posts since
    Apr 23, 2008
    3. Apr 23, 2008 1:21 PM (in response to saraallent)

In terms of awards and accolades, it helps that Burkhart plays for a top team this season. She'll be throwing strikeouts for a long time coming.

• Jeanne Lynam Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008
    5. Apr 29, 2008 10:15 AM (in response to JBan)

How could we forget last years PAC-10 Player of the Year, Kaitlin Cochran. The junior outfielder from Arizona State  just proved my point for me in the game against Oregon on Sunday. Cochran wasn't playing her best but she completely redeemed herself with grand slam to help the No. 1 Arizona State over Oregon.  The best players find a way to make things happen even when they aren't having their best games. That to me, is the sign of a champion.

I can't even begin to list the awards this young lady has won thus far in her career. She has set numerous records for Arizona State, the PAC-10 and the NCAA. I do not doubt that Cochran will earn 1st team All-American honors for her third time this year. 

Kaitlin Cochran is one player to watch out for not only this year, as Arizona State fights for the title, but for many years to come.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points