Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3271 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2008 10:32 AM by nicoleky30
nicoleky30 Rookie 3 posts since
Feb 18, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 31, 2008 10:36 AM

SON IS SLOW

Just curioius....my son is a freshman...very strong. he is 5'11 and apprx 187 lbs. Plays some full back and mostly linebacker but his 40 is only 5.6

Do players normally increase their time as they go thru high school or do they level out?

thank

• Michael Husted Expert 20 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    1. Apr 30, 2008 2:04 PM (in response to nicoleky30)
    Re: SON IS SLOW

His 40 time can definitely increase.  Some of it will be natural as he grows over the next few years and some will come with hard training.  What kind of workouts does he do?  Is he training with anyone?  Plyometrics, speed drills and consistency should help him improve his time.

• Coach Corey Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    2. May 23, 2008 9:14 AM (in response to nicoleky30)

You level out only when YOUR TRAINING levels out. Here were my vitals and 40 Times through my career of playing football. These are 40 times that are electronic and not hand timed.

11th Grade--6'2" 150 lbs =                              5.4    40 Yard Dash

12th Grade--6'2" 165 lbs =                              5.1    40 Yard Dash

Freshman Year of JC Ball-- 6'3" 175 lbs = 4.9    40 Yard Dash

Sophmore Year of JC Ball--6'3"  180 lbs = 4.7    40 Yard Dash

Scholarship to D-II West Liberty State College

Junior Year--6'3" 205 lbs =                             4.65    40 Yard Dash

Senior Year--6'3" 215 lbs =                            4.6       40 Yard Dash

2001 Arena 2 Football--6'3" 210 lbs =         4.56    40 Yard Dash

Now what I left out was the offseason. I ran track and field during the off season and I knew that wasn't blessed with great speed so I knew I needed workouts that would make me faster. Baseball was not going to make me faster. I wanted a football scholarship so I dedicated my offseason to track workouts from my 11th grade year until I was a junior in college, so 5 years of hurdles, sprints and jumps. If want to be faster your body must be trained to be faster. Getting faster takes time, dicipline, and work outs that will make you flat out throw up all over the place!

• Coach Corey Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    4. May 23, 2008 9:54 AM (in response to nicoleky30)

Sounds like your son has a passion for the weight room and I would suggest carrying that over to running. If he wants to be fast he needs to RUN and TRAIN like a sprinter even if he isn't one. The Human Body cannot grow and gain in strength unless those muscles and ligaments have a targeted focus with repeat training and conditioning. Track season is at max 3 months long. He must carry over the speed training into his own daily work out.

Of course, always visit Active.Com and search for speed and agility camps in your area. I will be hosting one in the San Diego Area over the summer for the youth, but I'm not sure what area you are in? Just curious, but what events is your son training for during this current or past track season?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...