Skip navigation

4665 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2008 7:46 AM by mawojciech RSS
pekingman Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 21, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2008 7:53 PM

Supplements and Body Fat/Muscle

I have gotten down to my ideal weight am running and lifting weights regularly but am looking to get more muscle definition (not like body builder, but just good tone).  I feel from diet and exercise point of view that I am doing OK.  Are there any supplements people would recommend to help with the only info I come across is from hard core body builders, and that is not what I am looking for (not trying to go over the top).   Any advice?

• damonwells Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 30, 2008
    1. Apr 30, 2008 2:48 PM (in response to pekingman)
    Re: Supplements and Body Fat/Muscle

if your goal is to "add more definition" then you want to lose fat.  generally, the subcutaneous fat (under the skin) is what blurs muscle definition, although intramuscular fat can do it.  This can be accomplished through diet modifications.  You are not looking for a supplement. 

You may want to add a protein supplement, such as whey protein, to your daily diet, but as long as your diet is relatively low in fat and process foods/sugars and the calories are not too high, you should continue to see improvements.

• mawojciech Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 19, 2008
    2. Jul 23, 2008 7:46 AM (in response to pekingman)
    Re: Supplements and Body Fat/Muscle

I agree that losing the fat is the key to definition, but there's also something to be said for adding size in the right places in order to accentuate the definition as well...while still not heading into bodybuilder territory.  If there are certain muscles that you want to stand out, building them up coupled with losing fat could be appropriate.  To answer your questions about supplements, I agree that a simple protein supplement is great, though be careful and read labels before purchasing to ensure you're getting the best protein/calorie/fat/filler ratios in the supplement, or else you risk undermining the whole purpose of taking the supplement.

I also support using Creatine...which I know is a touchy subject.  To each their own, but I personally see marked benefits from an occasional cycle  (I'll usually buy a bottle, use it until gone, and then go back off of it for a few months/weeks.  I've done a lot of research about Creatine, along with using it and experimenting with methods, and I believe that you don't need to do the "loading" phase that most suppliers recommend, and that consuming just HALF of the recommended intake 40 minutes to half an hour before a workout makes any average day training just a little more intense and productive.  Make sure you drink tons of water along with it, as I've found that since Creatine makes you retain water, you can cramp up more easily if you aren't careful about hydration.   I do a protein shake after the workout, to make sure my muscles can start rebuilding immediately.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...