Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4133 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2008 6:39 PM by mrbill767757 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 29, 2008 8:14 PM (in response to Duhjanitor)
    Re: Are there any other runner wannabes

Dujanitor wrote: I know exactly how you feel. I was 70 pounds overweight, and lost 60 of it when I decided to start jogging. That was 2 years ago. I love this sport. I'm not in any type of competition with others but with myself. Just last weekend I ran my very first ever in my life 15 miler! I am striving to do my very first ever in my life marathon in December of this year. I am no spring chicken, either. I'll be 49 years old in September.

Wow. Congrats ... marathon. Very impressive.

P.S. I run 10K's pretty frequently and did one 1/2 marathon. I was inspired by a lot of posters on this message board, and ran last night where normally I would have taken the night off (since I did a 10K Saturday). I ran better and faster than I had any reason to hope.

• jrcaragan Amateur 11 posts since
    Mar 12, 2008
    16. May 1, 2008 9:03 AM (in response to symphonyodd)

I started running about a year ago weighing in at 265lbs (5'6").  I dropped down to 205lbs nine months later and ran my 1st marathon.  Finished in 6 hours.  Not too impressive but still finished.  I had never ran or done any type of physical activity since high school (unless walking around CostCo, trying out their food freebies counts) .  I continue to run and will be running the Long Beach marathon in October.  Should have a better time this time around.  Keep up the running.   It's relaxing, healthy and fun.  Try to run different routes.  I live in San Diego and running along the coast is the best.  Good luck.

• McRunnin' Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008
    17. May 1, 2008 9:23 AM (in response to jrcaragan)

Not too impressive? You lost 60 pounds in nine months and ran your first marathon. If that's not impressive (and inspiring), I don't know what is. Even if it took you 12 hours, you still did it!

This "time" thing is what has caused me to step out of the my first 5K in July. I made the mistake of joining a team that is very competitive, and want to finish the race in under 20 minutes. I was okay when they said 30 minutes - to me it was doable because I was already doing a 12 minute mile 40 pounds over weight and out of shape ( I am only 5' tall, so 40 pounds extra has killed my knees). But there is no way I am going to make it in 15-20 minutes.

I am still walking/jogging, and gettting back into shape. I would like to do a 5K and a 10K, but I am not up for the "race" part yet!

• Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    18. May 1, 2008 1:42 PM (in response to jrcaragan)

jrcaragan wrote: "I started running about a year ago weighing in at 265lbs (5'6"). I dropped down to 205lbs nine months later and ran my 1st marathon. Finished in 6 hours. Not too impressive but still finished."

You had me at, "finished marathon."

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    19. May 1, 2008 1:47 PM (in response to jrcaragan)

You should be more positive. You finished a marathon it doesn't matter how long it took but that you finished it. I would love to say those words one day.

• jrcaragan Amateur 11 posts since
    Mar 12, 2008
    20. May 1, 2008 4:25 PM (in response to Steelers21)

You guys are very nice.  Thanks for all the kind words.  Running a marathon is so life changing.  It's not as bad as people think.  It is so very doable.  You just have to find a local training group (I joined inMotion in San Diego) and train right.  It is so much easier and fun if you do it with a group.    You won't believe how it's more mental than physical.  This is coming from a non-atheletic person.  Friends and family still can't believe I ran a marathon.  I have to produce my finisher's picture and medal to prove it.   Trust me.  Go out and jump right to training for a marathon.  You'll never be the same.  Just remember:  Buy good shoes, don't overtrain, REST and KNOW you can do it.  Good luck to all.

• jacquie77 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    21. May 2, 2008 1:59 PM (in response to symphonyodd)

You are not alone. I myself have been trying to become a runner for at least 2 years. I start

and stop. This week I started running again and feel great. I had a little set back(kidney stone) but it came and

went quick. So tonight I'll be back at it. Keep up the good work.

• operaDDS Rookie 1 posts since
    May 3, 2008
    22. May 3, 2008 2:01 AM (in response to symphonyodd)

I tried to start running about this time last year.  I looked into joining the Air Force and found out that I was WAY over the maximum weight requirement to even be considered for an officer commission.  I'm 6'0" and at the time was 252 lbs.  Maximum weight for my height was 201.  I started running without really any research into how to start out properly.  As a result I tried to advance and accelerate my training way too quickly and ended up with a case of bursitis in both hips.  This kept be from running for about 6 weeks, and I never really got into a regular running schedule again, just walking on a treadmill for the next six months.  However, with strict diet and regualr walks, I was able to drop down to the 200 lb mark and pass my physical by early January.  Now I just need to focus on getting in good cardiovascular shape to prepare for the rigours of physical training during the Commissioned Officer Training I will have to go through sometime during the next year. 

Since  it warming up again, I'm looking into a more regimented running program, only this time I'm trying to do it right to avoid injury.  I woiuld like to run a race or two with my brother in law, who has been one of my biggest motivators in getting fit.  He ran the NY marathon about 5 years ago and has been trying to get me into shape ever since.  I'd like to be able to run a 5-10k with him sometime this year.  Now that I've dropped so much weight, this goal seems much more realistic. 

Heres to keeping on track and  meeting the goals.  Heres to you all striving to make a difference in your own lives.

• mrbill767757 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 3, 2008
    23. May 3, 2008 6:39 PM (in response to symphonyodd)

First off, don't be doing a 5K.  That's over 3 miles.  I NEVER ran a day in my life.  I hated running so much I signed up for gymnastics class instead of PE class in high school.  I heard you didn't have to run if you took it.  Go figure.  I became a gymnast!!  Never had to run.  Cool huh?  Well, about a year ago, I began running for the first time ever.  First I began to run about 15 minutes.  After a few months I was up to 25, then 30.  No sprinting, just jogging for the most part.  The past few months I've cranked it up to between 40 and 45 minutes.  I began running about 3 times a week and eventually built it up to 6 days a week which I do without fail at the present. Just ran my first 10K today!!  I found that by using a treadmill, I could start to concentrate on pacing myself and found that eventually I could do about a 10 minute mile.  I usually start out at about a 12 minute mile and after about 10 minutes I start going faster and eventually do about a 10 minute mile pace.  Lately, I do the last 10 minutes at around 6 and a half on the machine speed and finish just over a speed of 7.  The last 10  minutes I do at about a 9 minute mile pace.  What you have to do is ease into your running and over time just build up your endurance time as opposed to speed.  The speed will come later though my goal isn't speed, its just doing a good 45 minute continual pounding on my heart.  So in a year's time I've gone from no running to being able to run 45 minutes which is just about 4.5 miles.  I actually have heart disease as well.  I take meds to prevent my heart from going out of sinus rhythm.  I'm 55 and lost get this.......30lbs in about 8 months after I began to run.  One more thing.  You need to set a reason why you're running.  For me its a matter of looking good as opposed to slovenly and also to keep my heart strong so I can outlive my wife.  There's so many fat slobs out there.  I DONT want to look like them and not even be able to see my belt buckle which is what was happening to me as I got older and had no excercise program.  If I can do it you can too!!

Attachments:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...