Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2334 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2008 8:56 AM by gogordon1 RSS
leadfootrw Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 31, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 4, 2008 12:46 AM

Looking for a great supportive running bra

If any one could let us know if there are any good support bras and experiences with sports bras.   Maybe which company is a good one to go with.  New runner and needs a good supportive bra.  thank you

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    1. May 4, 2008 12:32 PM (in response to leadfootrw)
    Re: Looking for a great supportive running bra

I haven't found one yet. I wear three when I work out and it hurts cuz Im not getting support but I will keep looking and will let you know.

• slneill Amateur 15 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. May 4, 2008 1:52 PM (in response to leadfootrw)

Try the Enell Sports Bra: [www.enell.com.|http://www.enell.com/] It's FABULOUS!!! I have been running with this bra for a couple of years now and I absolutely swear by it. It's not something you can wear alone; it's just not attractive like some other sports bras. But if what you're looking for is performance, this will do it for you. It's like a steel trap - I'm telling you. I don't move an inch!

Hope this helps!!

• MiPo Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    3. May 4, 2008 5:30 PM (in response to leadfootrw)

I have found what I think is an AWESOME running/fitness bra. Not to give TMI but...I wear a 36D. But..they make this bra in all sizes. For me...the best support that I have found. I like it so much that I have 3 of them (and they come in nice colors too). They carry them at Dicks's Sporting Goods. But...I found it at a lower price at Fleet Feet. $40.00 but so worth it. It is made by Moving Comfort (fit for women). This particular bra is called the Fiona bra and it is good for high impact. What I like about it....the shoulder straps are adjustable in the front by the use of velcro. You can really custom taylor it to yourself. It is also available online at Title 9.

Hope that helps!

MiPo

This bra can be worn alone. Nice colors. Wayyyy supportive yet looks good.

• hafenzoo Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 23, 2008
    4. May 4, 2008 8:04 PM (in response to leadfootrw)

I came across a great sports bra at Vicotoria's Secret.....It is like wearing a straight jacket!

• strugln2run Rookie 2 posts since
    May 4, 2008
    5. May 4, 2008 11:18 PM (in response to leadfootrw)

Thank you for all the help. I am friends with leadfoot. We are both just starting and wanting a really good bra.  So we decided we would ask for help.  I will have to buy one on line which makes me nervous. Since we live in no mans land Alaska I have to.  Thank you again.

• Nevadamtnbear Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 9, 2007
    6. May 5, 2008 1:16 PM (in response to leadfootrw)

Ah, the never ending quest for a good sports bra.

As a rather "chesty" gal (36DD) I'll give you my thoughts.  My personal FAV is the CW-X extra support bra.  This thing ROCKS!!!!  First off, there is virtually no bounce, it BREATHES like a dream, and it's very comfortable.  I can't sing this bra's praises enough.  My only complaint is that after a long run (10+ miles) where the straps hit along my colar bone may be just a wee bit tender - but, that's a downside risk I gladly accept for the overal A++++ grade of this bra.

I also have the Moving Comfort Fiona bra (a couple in fact).  I like those very well, but they come in second to the CW-X (i.e. if the CW-X is dirty, then I'll gladly wear the Fiona bras).  They offer excellent support (just slightly more movement than the CW-X, but hardly) and are almost as breathable.  What I do really like the Fiona is the fact that the straps are adjustable, which I have found to be very nice.  Also, the price point is very reasonable on the Fiona (around $40).  This is a great choice and can often be found at local athletic and specialty running stores.

Ahhh, the Enell bra.  When I first got this one, it was my "oh praise God" bra.  Finally, I had found something that kept the girls in place.  It served me well, until I discovered several other better (in my opinion) bras out there.  Look, if you don't want ANY, and I mean ANY, movement, then this is the bra for you.  However, these are my complaints.  First, it does not breath really all that well, and personally, I don't feel as though it breaths hardly at all.  I may, but considering that the bra provides practically as much coverage on the upper body as a tank top, there is just a lot of covered skin.  Secondly, once I get it on, I feel like I'm somewhat in a straight jacket, I mean, I feel very confined in the bra.  Third, it is all consuming to get on.  But, this is a terrifically supportive bra.  It can be somewhat difficult to find in stores, so you are often stuck with ordering online, which has its own drawbacks if you can't try this bra on and get a good fit.

There are several online vendors of these bras that I can recommend (as I've shopped at all of them).  Title 9 Sports is an awesome company and they have a very "mail order friendly" return policy on their sports bras.  They have a great selection and rate their bras by the number of bar bells (more bar bells, more support).  Another good company is Athleta.  I get my CW-X from Zombie Runner, but they also have a lot of other supplies that we use regularly (and I just love the owners).  Then there is always Amazon.com, but personally, I like to give the smaller retailers my business first, but if I can't find something then I'll go to Amazon as a last resort.

Good luck in your quest.

• strugln2run Rookie 2 posts since
    May 4, 2008
    7. May 5, 2008 5:22 PM (in response to leadfootrw)

Nevadamtnbear,    Thank you so much for all your information. It is so funny that you say that you have tried all those.  Because the all the types you are talking about my husband and I narrowed it down to.   I am so glad that I heard it from someone who has tried all of them..   I will probably get the CW-X   I was really wanting that one anyway's so you made the decison easier.  I will get one more too probably the Moving Comfort.     THANK YOU all.   I hate when they move and I really wanted good support.   Have a great week.

• j-net Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    8. May 6, 2008 8:40 AM (in response to leadfootrw)

this is a great question!! =D

I found a strong supportive bra that works for me. I'm a C cup and i love the support and material of  my Hind bra. Its expensive but worth the comfort.

• gogordon1 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    9. May 6, 2008 8:56 AM (in response to leadfootrw)

Jane Hahn has a video up at Runner's World. It may be of some help.

"Find Your Best Sports Bra"

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...