Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11112 Views 80 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2008 12:42 PM by FreeRunner RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
  • vg runner Rookie 109 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 28, 2008 2:39 PM (in response to FreeRunner)
    Re: Fleetfoot Chicas/Chico - OHR

Freerunner, when my girls were that age I felt lucky to get in a shower and do a load of laundry, let alone exercise!  You are doing great - and if you only run once a week that is just perfect for right now.  You don't realize all the exercise you are getting in throughout the day, and just remember those little girls come first, chase the guilty feelings away - you are amazing!

• ruralrunner Rookie 30 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    16. Apr 28, 2008 4:18 PM (in response to vg runner)

Hello,

Well I'm not running as much as I should or even as much as I want to but any running is better than no running. Have been getting to the gym on Monday nights and working on the treadmill, stepper and bike. I enjoy being able to see my speed on the treadmill and speeding up for little intervals just to see what faster is like.

Tonight I have areobics and then need to try to get another run in before the weekend.

Freerunner, keep trying to get those runs in, I know its hard and I certainly get those guilty feelings (but about other responsibilities because I don't have any children, just lots of animals). I try to keep in mind that running makes me happier and gives me more energy, in the long run I think everyone in my life benefits.

Gotta go. Happy running.

• Mr_Tremor Rookie 98 posts since
    Dec 31, 2007
    17. Apr 28, 2008 6:42 PM (in response to ruralrunner)

Well she did it again. The wife beat her PB by 20 seconds on the 5k. Just 6 more minutes and she says she will run a 5k. I am rooting for her. I hope it gets easier on her because although she can get out there and do it she has quite a lot of pain durring and after due to mild osteo.

I am glad to have you all supporting us and I wish you great runs and clear skies.

Stomp On!

Dec 31, 2007
    18. May 1, 2008 12:23 AM (in response to Mr_Tremor)

We completed our weekly 9k long run today. It was hard to get out the door as I got off work late so it was going to get dark durring the run.  The Mrs, was having more knee pain than usual but she wasn't saying anything because I was doing enough complaining for both of us. I felt a little winded at a lower heart rate than normal. I feel fine now but it was hard to keep moving. She did great as usual, shaving 9 minutes off her total last week. She keeps amazing me each and every time. Looks like she is really embracing the running thing. She has been signing out books and DVDs from the library on running. It should be good to see if she comes up with any tips we can use to stay on track and avoid injuries.

I asked her what her goal was now and she said "I want to run a 5k in under 30 minutes, teh first time." Her secondary goal is to actually look forward to running so that she doesn't trhink about how much it will hurt or what she will need to do to get through it.

Stomp on everyone!

Dec 31, 2007
    19. May 3, 2008 5:45 PM (in response to Mr_Tremor)

Well I hope everyone is doing well. I hope to hear from you chicas soon.

We did our last run of the week. It was very tough running outside because it was cold, wet and windy. We managed a decent pace but after eating too soon before running we started to feel it in our stomach. We ended up about a minute longer than Monday which was a best for her.

We are going to keep working at it and I hope you all do too.

Next week is my last run for a while I have a 5k on Mothers day and then I don't know what I will do.

Stomp On!

• Keikirunner Rookie 152 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    20. May 5, 2008 8:10 PM (in response to Mr_Tremor)

OK all you Chicas--report in!

I know, I know, I'm quite the one to talk!   Just got back from our trip to Florida, where I did NO running--well, I did try out running barefoot in the surf, which is a kick, and took some long walks, but that's it.

But now I'm back at altitude and I'm noticing a decrease in endurance.  Ran slowly for 30 min today just to try to get used to it again.  I will work hard for the next two weeks, and then my 5K!  I would be tempted to chicken out, but my husband has been telling everyone I'm doing it, so no escape now!

Mr. Tremor, you and the Mrs. are doing so greatway to go!  Still hanging in there Freerunner and Ruralrunner?  I liked your line about any running is better than no runningthat's how I'm feeling right now too!  VG Runner:  still doing the 20/40/60?  I hope so.  I think if I ever finish OHR, I will try the 60 minute run maybe every two weeks or so.  

Keep on stompin'!

• ruralrunner Rookie 30 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    21. May 5, 2008 8:25 PM (in response to Keikirunner)

Sorry, bit slack on my reports. Ran for 20mins, probably at a better pace than normal on Thursday but didn't run on the weekend. Have aerobic tonight and probably won't get a run in until the weekend because of life. I'm not going to get down about it though, I'm just going to look forward to the weekend, it will be just me and the dog so it's a good opportunity.

Good to hear from you Keikirunner, best of luck in preparation for that 5K!

Dec 31, 2007
    22. May 5, 2008 8:26 PM (in response to Keikirunner)

Glad to hear from you again Keiki. Your endurance will return you just need to run.

We made it out for our 5k run today and I felt good. She said her legs felt tired the whole time so it wasn't fun for her. She did a good job just slightly slower(15 seconds) than her fastest so that's great.

6 more days till my next 5k.

Stomp On Chicas!

• vg runner Rookie 109 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    23. May 5, 2008 9:51 PM (in response to Keikirunner)

I've been doing more of a 30, 40, 30 lately because I have been so busy. I'm getting scared to go 60 and I really need to get one in before I totally lose it.  I'm up in Tahoe for 4 days, and think the altitude will wipe me out.  Gonna see what happens tomorrow.  Ate all day today and drank wine so I need it 

• 1to1 Amateur 74 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    24. May 6, 2008 11:11 AM (in response to FreeRunner)

Hi Chicas/Chico,

I was so glad to see you all still together .  I slipped down that runner's hole and am embarrased to admit that I can't get my momentum back. :_|

It all started when I tried to jog with a friend outside and couldn't keep up and from there I just went downhill.

How do you motivate yourself to start again?  I try to jog but am only good for 10 minutes...I can't believe I let myself do this.

I will try to push myself in the morning.

Stomp on,

Carla

Dec 31, 2007
    25. May 6, 2008 12:33 PM (in response to 1to1)

Carla,

I am so sorry to hear you are having trouble. But, I have the answer.

Here is the plan 1st off I recommend you do not run with a friend at this point because they will cause you to either run faster than your comfortable pace and/or you will have the tendancy to talk too much which makes it harder to breathe. 2nd if you don't have one already get a heart rate monitor or run on a treadmill with heart rate monitoring. 3rd get out there and run at a comfortable pace and see where your heart rate is. Once you have that pace keep it there for your whole run. If you find yourself wanting to walk, look at your HRM it will often let you know you have started speeding up too much. It will often be much higher than the comfortable pace you noted earlier. Instead of walking run slower until your heart rate returns to comfortable pace all the while breathing deeply to avoid holding your breathe or gasping in short bursts.

If that still doesn't work for you get back on the C25K plan to get your stamina back. We know you can do it, its just a matter of not letting your pride or speed get to you. Run your pace and enjoy the sights and sounds around you. I always wanted to walk until I realized that running slower is still running and I can get my breathe back at slower speeds. Once I learned that it was just a matter of getting faster at lower heart rates. I found if I sprinted I would stop shortly after 5 minutes but if I slow ran I could run well over an hour. If you need the company such as how I go out with my wife don't be afraid to ask them to run slower. Or do it in intervals run their pace for a few minutes then drop down to your pace get your wind back and try faster again. They will at least run their pace some of the time and you will eventually catch up.

I hope that helps you and everyone else.

Running slow = running further/longer. Marathoners don't run 5k pace for 26.2 miles they run a much slower pace. No one can sprint for 60 minutes without years of training and natural ability.

Stomp on chicas.

Dec 14, 2007
    26. May 6, 2008 3:08 PM (in response to 1to1)

Carla!  It's so great to see you back!  I'm glad you admitted you're struggling a little, because we can all identify with that.  And remember, "any running is better than no running" has been our mantra this week (except for the Tremors, who are overachievers  heehee!)

Mr. Tremor has given you his scientific advice; I'm going to take another approach.  How do you get yourself motivated again when you have had a setback?  After all, inertia tends to keep us NOT running after a lull; I have had this happen a lot in the last few weeks.

My approach is to remember WHY I wanted to be a runner in the first place; here are some of the items on my list:

1. To help with weight loss

2. To fend off osteoporosis

3. To fight depression

4. To look and feel better

5. To protect my cardiovascular system

6. To enjoy that feeling of accomplishment that comes with doing something that most people don't get around to and is hard for me too.

(etc. etc.)

After a lull, do I have to get out there and perform at the level where I left off?  Well, I would like to of course, but that isn't what counts.  All the things on my list can be accomplished with much less.  All that counts is to get out there and do it at some level, with some consistency.  So I start in again with an easy, fun run of some kind just to blow the soot out.  And I read the boards to be in the company of other runners.  And I record my workouts, however modest they might be.

And before long, I can feel the enthusiasm coming back, and I start setting goals again.  And I do find that being registered for a race is a good motivator.

Go get 'em girl!

Dec 14, 2007
    28. May 7, 2008 9:06 AM (in response to FreeRunner)

Hi Freerunner!  Sorry you're struggling; join the club!  ha!  I know you'll get your groove back; it's just a matter of not quitting--of knowing you're a runner, but being patient with yourself.  Good luck on your job interview!

• 1to1 Amateur 74 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    29. May 7, 2008 9:46 AM (in response to FreeRunner)

Chicas/Chico,

Oh, I really missed checking in here for the encouragement and advise.  Instead of haning my head in shame I should have came here for your support.  I truly appreciate hearing from everyone.  The pep talks really help.

Mr. Tremor, I tried running with my friends twice and to told them that I'm just not at their pace yet.  Then I tried to jog at the Y and just couldn't make myself run.  I was so disappointed because I really thought that I'd be able to keep up with them.   

Keikirunner,  You know, once I got discouraged it was a wicked spiral down.  I quit coming here, quit going to SparkPeople and quit eating healthy, etc.  Ok, so now I've dusted myself off and am ready to get back into the game.

Freerunner, Come on return with me!!!  That is great that you gave up soda...I did that for a couple of weeks.  It really does make you feel better plus you're drinking more water then.  Well, I just finished drinking a Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi but I'll try to stay out of it now.  Don't keep it at home anymore but at work we have a frig stocked with soda and water so I will aim for the water.

vgrunner, Don't let yourself stray too long...its hard to come back. 

ruralrunner, I really enjoy walking with my dog, little Westie, and she can actually keep up with me running (yes, I'm that slow).  Have a great run this weekend.

This morning I did a 5 min warm-up, 15 min jog and 25 min walk.  I'm

going to try to do 20 min on Fri and hopefully work myself back up to

where I was.   I really enjoy walking and continued doing that during

my hiatius.  I really wish I enjoyed running more.  

Stomping on,

Carla

1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...