Skip navigation

14458 Views 59 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2009 1:26 PM by Becky8846 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 8, 2008 8:34 AM (in response to MarineTanker)
    Re: My 1st marathon at age 36

MarineTanker wrote:

All of the elements should be in place for the evolution!

Some assembly required, but you have what it takes!  Go for it!

• DelawareVike Amateur 22 posts since
    May 1, 2008
    16. May 8, 2008 9:39 AM (in response to Immer treu)

Tanker, you are in the same boat as I was 5 years ago.  I too was a former Marine, looking to complete my 1st Marathon at the age of 36. You will be fine if you do two things.

1.  Train honestly.  If you put in the miles in the summer, you will be fine when you start.

2..  My weight and height was the same as your goal, I was 5'11" and 190 when I crossed the start line.  In all honesty if I was 175 or under it would have been much easier.  This year will be my 5th in a row, and I am on my way to 175!

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. May 8, 2008 9:41 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

x_39_and_holding_x wrote:

I ran my first half at 39. First full at 40 just two months later. As far as your weight, don't sweat it. As you train your weight may go down slightly but more than likely you'll just shift your fat mass to lean muscle mass. Don't focus on that too much if the marathon is your primary goal.

Welcome aboard!

Aha! So you admit you're not 39!

Chocolate is very nice.
  • Ed Lomas Rookie 4 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    18. May 8, 2008 11:27 AM (in response to MarineTanker)

I ran my first marathon at 34 and my fastest at 45. You aren't likely to get underweight for a marathon between now and MCM. Figure every extra pound will cost you a minute in overall time.  That being said, I am a Clydesdale, and have run most of my marathons at 200+ pounds on a 6'4" frame, so you're not too big for this sport.

Ed Lomas

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    19. May 8, 2008 11:36 AM (in response to Ed Lomas)

Ed's BACK!

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    staving off decrepitude wrote:

x_39_and_holding_x wrote:

I ran my first half at 39. First full at 40 just two months later. As far as your weight, don't sweat it. As you train your weight may go down slightly but more than likely you'll just shift your fat mass to lean muscle mass. Don't focus on that too much if the marathon is your primary goal.

Welcome aboard!

Aha! So you admit you're not 39!

It was a premonition. . .

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    21. May 8, 2008 2:59 PM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

At the 1974 Commonwealth Games in Christchurch NZ, Jack Foster ran a 2:11:18 marathon at age 41.  He had raced bicycles earlier in life but came to running much later than most.  He had set a world 20 mile record at age 39.  You have time yet........

• ChicagoFinisher Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 1, 2007
    22. May 9, 2008 10:36 AM (in response to MarineTanker)

I ran my first marathon at the age of 47. It was last October's infamous Chicago Marathon. I followed Hal Higdon's training program, for Beginners.

http://www.halhigdon.com

I continued to use Hal's program for my second marathon, Disneyworld in January of this year.

I have since switched over to the FIRST method. Following this program specifically for Boston Qualifying in my age bracket, I knocked off about 25 minutes from the Disneyworld marathon and came within 6 minutes of qualifying. Personally, I'm sold on the FIRST method, but Hal's program is also good. It's probably one of the most widely used methods.

Good luck and have fun. 

• Doraine Rookie 10 posts since
    Apr 30, 2008
    23. May 9, 2008 11:36 AM (in response to MarineTanker)

Interesting...I will be doing my first marathon in August and was wondering about this...like if being the hare works...only not taking a nap, just taking a walk to the watering hole!  Thanks+

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    24. May 9, 2008 5:08 PM (in response to ChicagoFinisher)
    mitchkp wrote:

I ran my first marathon at the age of 47. It was last October's infamous Chicago Marathon. I followed Hal Higdon's training program, for Beginners.

Ouch!  That's one tough first marathon!  Did you make the cut off?

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • TalFidelis Amateur 19 posts since
    May 5, 2008
    25. May 14, 2008 5:13 PM (in response to MarineTanker)

Hmmm... sounds familiar. I turned 36 in April and I had made a new years resolution to run the MCM this year. My cousin ran NYC last year and she was my inspiration to sign up for MCM. I was in the Quantico Marine Band (at the time it was the MCCDC Band - '91-'94) as a trumpet player and got to play for the Marathon start/finish a couple of times -- looking forward to exposing my boys to the Marine Corps.

I used to be 6' and 225 lbs, but I've lost 50 lbs since last October (yes, that's down to 175) and am in better shape now than in about 10 years. It's definitely easier to work out with the lower weight (even if I did have to buy all new clothes)! Aside from the weight loss, I started running a few months ago to get my cardio endurance up before starting to train for the marathon but had to take some time off -- about 6 weeks -- since I came down with Mono in the middle of March; needless to say that put a little damper on the pre-training part of my grand plans.

I've started with the Galloway program (which just started this week) and I'm a little ahead of the program at the moment (first long run is supposed to be 3-4 miles, but my long runs are already at 6ish miles). Looking at Galloway (which is what my cousin ran for NYC) I think something between Hal Higdon's plan and the Galloway plan is what I'm looking for. Galloway is a little too conservative for my personality and Hal's might be a little much for me to pull off as the single father of two boys. So I'm going to wing it a little bit and use the Galloway virtual trainer as a guide to keep me consistent.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    26. May 14, 2008 7:21 PM (in response to TalFidelis)

You're in good company, in a lot of ways.  Lots of us take a published plan and modify it to suit our own needs.  Your 6 weeks off ain't great but ease into your training and you should be fine.  I was off for two months last spring and got back to training and finished MCM, though it wasn't my best time by a good bit.  Keep your goals realistic and have an assortment: finish, finish running, under 5:30, under 5:00. that way you will accomplish some (maybe all) of them.

Len

• child life Rookie 1 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    27. May 14, 2008 8:44 PM (in response to DelawareVike)

I am also a first time marathoner. I am 42. I was also in the military -USAF and was able to run faster. I hope I can do this also.

• ChicagoFinisher Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 1, 2007
    28. May 15, 2008 3:50 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

I did more than make the cut off, I actually finished.

I ran the Chicago marathon with my headphones and iPod.

Whenever it was that they decided to cancel the race, I was far enough into it that they didn't redirect us. They just told us to walk the rest of the way. However, I ran the Chicago marathon with my headphones and iPod. So I never heard any announcements that the race was cancled. Towards the end I was still "running" while many but not all of the people were walking. I was about an hour off my training pace, but I felt pretty good because so many other people were walking. (as they were told to do) With about a mile left, I took out my headphones to listen to the crowds. As I approached the finish line, there was a guy there telling everyone to stop running, walk across the finish line. I thought the guy was nuts. Aren't you supposed to run? When I got back to my hotel a friend sent me a text wondering if I finished since she heard it was canceled. I thought she was nuts too, it wasn't canceled, of course I finished, got a medal too.

So I guess I have to thank my iPod for finishing my first marathon, at 4:54. I've never trained or run with my iPod since.

I ran Disneyworld in January at 4:01 and the Flying Pig a few weeks back at 3:38. (if you take out the extra quarter mile for the detour and the 55 second bathroom break, it was more like 3:35)

I hope to break 3:30 at the Marine Corps and get to Boston. I really believe in the FIRST training method because I am running less and running faster.

See you in October.

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    29. May 15, 2008 6:07 AM (in response to ChicagoFinisher)

Hi Mitch. Congrats on finishing your first marathon! I was about 30 minutes ahead of you in Chicago (sounds like I'll be about 30 minutes behind you at MCM ) - there were helicopters flying pretty low making announcements, police filtering the road down to single file with bicycles, a disproportionate number of people walking, volunteers telling us to walk including some megaphones... all of this beginning around Mile 24 for me. I must have heard that it was cancelled at least a dozen times. Further back, I can only imagine it being the same or more so and obviously for longer. The people with iPods around me were temporarily taking the earphones out to assess the situation. The crowd was still cheering "go!" and the slight majority of us in my section fortunately ignored the numerous pleas to walk. All that said, I loved Chicago!! I can't believe that guy was still out there 30 minutes later within feet of the finish yelling at people to walk!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...