Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6026 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2008 12:36 PM by Brandon Baker RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 12, 2008 8:32 AM

So, what do you eat?

I know many runners are super health conscious with their diets and others run so that they can eat whatever they want (and most people fall somewhere in the middle).  So, what do you eat?

I usually eat lots of fruits (mainly apples, bananas, and pears), salads and cut vegetables (bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, and celery), whole grains, nuts (walnuts, cashews, and peanuts), and chicken.  My "go to" breakfast and snack food is Kashi Go-Lean Crunch cereal, usually with some fat free yogurt and soy milk.  I try and avoid high fructose corn syrup, but that's much easier said than done.  It's not without good reason that my wife calls me "Rice Cake Boy"...

• ChrstKmb21 Amateur 25 posts since
    Mar 11, 2008
    1. Mar 19, 2008 6:02 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)
    Re: So, what do you eat?

Hi...I wanted to take the time to tell what I eat and why... Everyday I eat the same thing at the same time:

Breakfast: 2 egg whites and 1 whole wheat toast (ezekiel bread)

Snack: 1 cup cereal (joe's o's or Flaux whole grain); 1 cup fat free milk (lactose); 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein (VPX zero carb)

Lunch: 1 whole wheat bread (ezekiel); 2 slices chicken lunch meat (99% fat free); 1/2 slice tomato; some spinach leaves; and a little mustard

Dinner: 2 whole wheat bread (ezekiel); 3 chicken tenders (99% fat free, broiled); 1 slice swiss chees (lactose); 2 slice tomato, and spinach leaves

Snack: 1 whole wheat toast (ezekiel); 1/2 tbs. sugar free jelly; 1 cup tea (caffein free Refresh mint)

Now let me explain: I am hypgycemic so I can't eat any sugar what so ever... I eat the same thing because it is easy for me and I enjoy it! I am at 4% body fat right now and weigh 100 pounds. I run 3 days a week and lift weights 3 days a week and take one day off. As you can tell I live for fitness...

• KatEngr Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Mar 19, 2008 10:11 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

WoW, that is too bad that you can't have ANY sugar! It obviously must be very restrictive. Do you have a "cheat day" during the week? Also, do you feel hungry?

Mar 11, 2008
    4. Mar 19, 2008 11:26 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

no I do not take any supplements and I am not worried about anything to do with variety in my diet...once and a while my husband I go out to eat either Indian or Thai. My husband is hypoglycemic too so he eats like I do just a little different...I mean he doesn't track it and he eats more

Mar 11, 2008
    5. Mar 19, 2008 11:30 AM (in response to KatEngr)

no I don't really have cheat days and I don't feel hungry...Even if I could have sugar I wouldn't because it is so bad for you and I have fitness goals...so I am very motivated to stay on track with my work-outs and nutrition. As for cheating...I go out to eat once and while Indian or Thai but eat small portions and know how to order things with no sugar...I also know the calories, fats, and carbs that are in everything I eat...I keep track of it in a log.

Mar 11, 2008
    7. Mar 19, 2008 6:37 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

I came up with this menu by chance actually... I just found something that really worked for me and have stuck with it Eating the smaller meals has really helped by keeping my blood sugar levels stabel so I don't have any crazy spikes and am able to have crazy energy all day... I tend to work-out between breakfast and snack... I know that what I do and the way I work-out and eat no one else would be able to do... at least not on a permanent basis...most would just eat and train the way I do for a certain race or season..but for me it is how I choose to live. I enjoy it and like I said I love pushing limits...I just really want to find either a club or someone to train with for marathons..I want to be pushed harder and I know that I can.

Mar 11, 2008
    9. Mar 20, 2008 11:25 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Before my work-outs I take no-xplode by BSN it is sugar free and it gives me plenty of fuel. I can't take any of those shot things and after the work-outs I have the cereal with milk and protein powder... so it all works out just perfectly For example... I am running in the great race on April 5th and I won't eat breakfast before I will just take the no-xplode drink mix and then run and after the run I will have my 2 egg whites and 1 whole wheat toast which will be in  a lunch pale with my parents at the finish line I always think ahead and plan out every day exactly...I am a creature of nature and I am like I said before obsessed with fitness and nutrition and pushin the limits.

• Jillymarie Amateur 8 posts since
    May 7, 2008
    11. May 9, 2008 4:05 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

What a great thread! I am currently trying to get together a meal plan for me that will fit me good. My biggest issue is that I feel hungry all the time and so then I eat what I shouldn't so I'm going to go grocery shopping and buy the things that would be good for me. So I was curious do you guys stay away from carbs?

• Steven Guttuso Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 12, 2008
    13. May 16, 2008 9:19 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

I am new to the "fueling" my muscles for running but have noticed that what i eat affects how i run.  I eat lots of fruits and vegetables but have often wondered if i am eating too much of them.  Honestly, as long as it is a fruit or vegetable i don't really limit my serving sizes. 

Do you think i should limit  the ammount of fruits & vegetables OR eat as much as i can.

Note: i am talking straight fruits and vegetables --  I do not add butter, dressing, etc....

WHATDOYOUTHINK?

Mar 11, 2008
    14. May 16, 2008 1:29 PM (in response to Steven Guttuso)

That is great that you eat plenty of fruits and vegitables... but as a runner it is very important that you eat carbs and protein. Depending on how hard you are training, how many miles you are running, what your goals are, etc... will also depend on what you should be eating. Being that I do not know your exact situation and different foods effect people differently I can't really say what you should and should not eat. However, I will recommend that you make sure you are taking in more carbs (whole wheat) and protein (chicken and fish) to fuel your muscles and give you energy. Fruits tend to have a lot of sugar so they can spike your blood sugar levels and then you can crash. Fruits are good snacks but I would say 1-2 servings a day is more than enough for fruits. Veg. are great all day... You can have different veg. with each meal. Spinach is by far the best... Hope this helps!!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...