Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15939 Views 49 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2010 12:02 PM by AGC525 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Bugmenot043 Legend 353 posts since
    Nov 29, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Nov 16, 2007 9:54 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)
    Re: Do you even CARE about being fast?

HAHAHAHAHA

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    32. Nov 22, 2007 6:54 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

quote:

Originally posted by pcsronbo:

Well, apology is elsewhere, so I won't acknolwedge this directly.

However, I think it interesting the variety of responses here. Going "long" vs going "fast" is certainly a different specialty.

I ran a 4.2m race today, I was near the end of the pack and by mile 2 I was mid-back of the pack, but mile 3 I was middle of the pack. My pace didn't really change, theirs did. Many went out fast and fizzled, I just ran slow and steady. Solid pace for me (~11min)- which I could have held for 10-15 miles. So I guess although I'd LIKE to go fast, I have an affinity for LONG   I guess 7hr half Ironman training does that to one.

My training partner is quite a bit faster than I am - almost 3 minutes for a 5 mile race. I could totally beat her on 400, 800, maybe even up to the mile. I've been (not too seriously) toying with the idea of trying track, just so I can run fast for a change.

However I have no idea where to start. THere's gazillions of books about road racing and the marathon (currently I'm focusing on the marathon) but I haven't seen much on how to train for track. And, o yea, I love those 7-10 mile training runs way too much.

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    33. Dec 27, 2007 9:19 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

quote:

Originally posted by mrinertia:

My training partner is quite a bit faster than I am - almost 3 minutes for a 5 mile race. I could totally beat her on 400, 800, maybe even up to the mile. I've been (not too seriously) toying with the idea of trying track, just so I can run fast for a change.

However I have no idea where to start. THere's gazillions of books about road racing and the marathon (currently I'm focusing on the marathon) but I haven't seen much on how to train for track. And, o yea, I love those 7-10 mile training runs way too much.

Edited to add: 42:28 for the 5 mile turkey trot this morning. Weather was nasty, I ran a decent race but wasn't able to beat the guy I was trying to beat.

Edited again to add final results posted. Placed 677th out of 1885 runners (big race).

[http://This message has been edited by mrinertia (edited Nov-23-2007).|http://This message has been edited by mrinertia (edited Nov-23-2007).]

[http://This message has been edited by mrinertia (edited Nov-26-2007).|http://This message has been edited by mrinertia (edited Nov-26-2007).]

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    34. Nov 27, 2007 2:08 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Hey RichardC - Addygrl is right on about ultra and trail races -
    If you really wanted to, you could train to complete one in 2008. I would suggest a mixture of running - other aerobic activity (Eliptical / Stairmaster) and walking + walking hills.

Your in luck - You are blessed with hills in your area!

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    35. Nov 27, 2007 2:10 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

PS -

Not sure how far you are from Afton Alps area - But they have a decent 25 / 50k in the spring - 25k would be a nice "Get your feet wet" race.

• RichardC040 Pro 218 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    36. Dec 27, 2007 9:19 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

quote:

Originally posted by RunForFun:

PS -

Not sure how far you are from Afton Alps area - But they have a decent 25 / 50k in the spring - 25k would be a nice "Get your feet wet" race.

will have to look into that one...the 25k that is..

your right I am blessed with trails and hills.... Part of my 11.5 the other day included bliss road up to Grand dads bluff after running 7 miles in Hixon forest.... ( i know you will be able to appreciate that)

[http://This message has been edited by RichardC (edited Nov-27-2007).|http://This message has been edited by RichardC (edited Nov-27-2007).]

• brazilianfootwork Rookie 140 posts since
    Jul 6, 2004
    37. Nov 27, 2007 4:43 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I like to do extreme interval-training on the treadmill at the gym...cos then everyone around me thinks I'm hardcore hahaha. My heavy-metal is nice and loud, I sweat buckets, and happen to be lean. But really, I'm just average, and want to constantly improve...distance and speed. But no more than 26.2, and from then on, just speed.

Shh. I AM hardcore, we all are =P

• RichardC040 Pro 218 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Dec 27, 2007 9:19 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

The group i have been running with do Trail mix 50 k

they are heading to Tecumseh this weekend....

[http://This message has been edited by RichardC (edited Nov-27-2007).|http://This message has been edited by RichardC (edited Nov-27-2007).]

• tdelafe Rookie 44 posts since
    Sep 14, 2006
  • duckgems Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    41. Jan 24, 2008 10:46 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Naw.  My motto is I'm not fast but I always finish!  I average around a 10-11:15 minute mile for my 5Ks/10Ks, more on the 10:30+ side.  When I first started running I was at a 15 minute mile.  I could do speed work and sometimes I do do spurts but I really like just to go out and run.  I do run races more for the fun of it than winning.  Although I do predict if I keep running into my 50-60s and beyond I just might place since the field of runners tends to shrink as one gets older!  That is my only chance of winning a race.  I can go long distances but not at a fast speed.

I have run two marathons, finish my first in 6 hours 14 min and my second in 5 hours 56 minutes.  Running a 26.2 miles is an adventure for me, me against me and the course.  That is my challenge.  Not the time.

I still feel uncomfortable when runners and othes ask me "how did you do" in regards to finishing a race.  Since I am slow, I usually qualify that I "Do not run for time" but for the "fun of it" or that "I just enjoy running for running's sake".  I am just not the competitive type.

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    42. May 9, 2008 8:02 PM (in response to duckgems)

In response to inquiries to 'How did you do?"  I normally tell them if I met my goals or not  ... so if finish time isn't one of your personal goals, just say, "I met all my goals and am very happy with my race.  How'd you do?"  

Most of the races I've done as an adult were on the way to training for my first marathon ... so my goals were to keep an even pace at my predicted pace and finish strong in hopes that my marathon training was on the right track  ...  I paced, raced, and placed well that summer and fall and was very pleased with my first marathon experience ...   I care about meeting my potential and setting goals to get there  ...  It's nice when I can snag some hardware along the way but it's not essential  ...  so, I guess I really do care about being fast, but mostly about being my fastest, not fast in comparison to others  ...  if I feel I don't have the time to commit to proper training or the mental willingness to do it, I just won't bother with training ... I will always do something to stay fit (sports, swim, teaching fitness classes, etc) but running and racing are very goal oriented for me, at least at this point in my life ... so being fast does matter.

• PudgeyRunner Rookie 26 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    43. May 13, 2008 11:35 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I only care about being fast in relation to me.  I keep seeing improvements in myself and that's good enough.  I'm going to run 8 minute miles someday, but I know that's a long long way off.  It's hard work running this much person around 

• DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    44. Oct 15, 2008 1:28 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

I think fast is relative. What may be fast for me would most likely be slow for others. I guess I rationalize it in that I think I do well for the amount I train. If I train harder (more days, faster runs) I get faster, but then I start to enjoy it less. I don't like feeling like I "have" to run, or "have" to get a certain time. I know that my outlook has served me well in the marathon and half marathons I have run, where my goal was to not die, finish, and get a decent time (in that order).

There are a lot of serious things in life, but this is supposed to be fun, and I like to have very few rules mixed in with my fun.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...