Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1782 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 9, 2008 9:20 PM by SportiGrl RSS
stormywaters Rookie 38 posts since
Dec 31, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 23, 2008 2:12 PM

1500m/3000m training

Last year i did a lot of thinking about where my talents lied. Was i a middle distance runner or long distance. I know i'm no sprinter.

Well i don't know for sure but what i do know is i seem to favour the shorter races by that i mean 1 mile -5km. I have a marathon to do first as i got my first ballot place so i'll be doing that first thats on April 13th.

Afterwards i'll have at least a month recovery. Then i want to do these short races and am looking for ideas how to structure my training Length of long runs, no of speed sessions a week, what type? etc

I am almost 40 in June not terribly fast but know i can get faster. I did 2 mile races on the track one in feb one in March. Both times 7:43 how uncanny is that.

Have to point out these were done on marathon training with no speedwork no taper with a hard session either done the night before or in the morning of the race day (race was in the evening)

Any ideas appreciated

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 9, 2008 9:20 PM (in response to stormywaters)
    Re: 1500m/3000m training

I don't have any expertise on this ... but I'm very similar to you ... turning 40 this month ... female ... run 2 marathons (fall 2006, spring 2007) and various road races ...

I used to run track in HS and did fairly well in 800-1600-3200 and their coinciding relays  ...  I still do little time trials every few years (at least) to see how fast I can do a mile, haha ...  in 2006 I did a 6:08, before any marathon training  ... last year I didn't test a mile but did my VO2Max 1600 repeats @ 6:20 pace  ...  and I just started running again this spring, about 5 weeks ago and did my first timed mile last week ... not thrilling, but  6:44   ...  I'm doing weekly VO2Max and LT workouts and a couple road races soon and will do another time trial sometime in June to see if it's any better ...

Anywho ... that's me ... so take my advice for what you think it's worth, lol  ...

I was recently leafing through a lot of my running literature and found that for 3200 M and shorter you need more basic speed repeats at distances of 400M or less near top speed ... varied opinions on how much rest required between intervals ...  footstrike drills for improving cadence are also recommended ... ladders or something of that nature  ... running windsprints on slight downhill grades  ... 

In 2006 I really liked to throw in a track session like this every once in awhile (even though it really didn't pertain to marathon training)  ... 

8 X 300M  all out and walked the 100 and repeat   ...

You may find some good track workouts in the 'coaching youth sports' section of the local bookstore ... distance training for young runners and coaching track and field ... things like that  ...

anyways ... have fun and good luck ... it's nice to meet you ...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...