Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4953 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2008 7:16 AM by SportiGrl RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. May 9, 2008 9:20 PM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Re: When does running get easier?

Even the most experienced runners will usually tell you that the first 1-3 miles are tough.  It takes me a full 1 to 1.5 miles to get my body really going and in the groove of running.  Most of my runs right now are 5K's.  Not races, I just have a 5K loop in my neighborhood, so instead of running "3" miles, I just do my "5K Loop".   It sucks because just when I'm getting into the swing of things, I am done with my milage for the day.  LOL  I'm building my base slowly, so only one long slow run a week.  I swear you will find that once you hit the 2/2.5 mile marks you will know you can run 3 miles...maybe not easily at first, but it is doable. 

Keep it up! 

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    17. May 10, 2008 7:16 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Re: When does running get easier?

About the first 1-3 miles ... even after you get up to doing 6+ mile runs you are likely to feel like the first 1-3 of that run are hard, at least on some days, but once you hit your groove you'll be glad you stuck in there and probably cruise through the remaining miles of your run that day.

While I am first starting to build milage I try not to even look at a watch during my runs ... once in awhile I will wear one and set the timer at the beginning but not intentionally run fast  and just try to run comfortable ... at the end I do look down at the watch to see what the time was ...  then I may not wear the watch again for another week or two ... then I try it again without referring to it during the run at all ...

good luck with the iron and the running ...

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...