Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1860 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2008 2:39 PM by RunTJRun
Oscar's MumMum Amateur 36 posts since
Apr 17, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 11, 2008 6:33 PM

Anybody have cardiac issues?

I'm 32, have Long QT Syndrome & a defibrillator, take beta blockers and I'm a new runner.  I start Week 6 tomorrow and always feel like I'm battling my meds.  Anyway . . . does anybody else have cardiac issues?  Do you have any words of wisdom for bringing these two aspects of life (heart & running) together?  My cardiologist is totally fine with my new interest in running.  She has been very encouraging.  TIA.

• drralphie Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    1. May 12, 2008 7:20 AM (in response to Oscar's MumMum)
    Re: Anybody have cardiac issues?

i'm 52 and 6 months ago and 1 week after marine corps marathon, iwas running a casual local 10k and noted irregular heartbeat for the whole race-that stoppped when i did-then same thing 2 weeks alter on t-giving morn 10k-being medical , i knew it was a-fib-but it took over a month with a monitor to document it--now on med that works o.k., still some palpitations, occasionally, but no a-fib-yet--i chose not to take a beta cause of my runningjust did nashville marathon with no issues except the usual pain and suffering-if it occurs again , i'll have ablation at uab medical center.....i have to check my q-t on my drug and lab every so often-but i've been on it only 2 monthswith no race problems, 10'k, half marathons, 5-k.....here's hoping-i can tell you the beta is gonna limit your heart rate and output and fatigue will be an issue---i just could not justify that when other drugs will help control rhythm.....carry on and good luck..........drralphie

• Cheri 2 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 12, 2008
    2. May 12, 2008 12:42 PM (in response to Oscar's MumMum)

I have been running for about 3 years.  Am 43 years old and started having weird palpitations during my run.  Went to a cardiologist who found a hole in my heart- I have had it my whole life just didn't know.  He did 2 pulminary tests back to back and was shocked and awed by how great they were!  It is from all that running.  I will probably have to get the hole plugged at some point but I am doing so well with my lungs that he doesn't think it is necessary.  I will say, I get fatigued and winded much faster than my other running buddies.   But I am slowly working my way up to 10 miles a day!  Good Luck!

• RKHII83 Pro 166 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    3. May 12, 2008 5:02 PM (in response to Oscar's MumMum)

Oscar:

I am 46 and was diagnosed with Lone paroxysmal a fib 5 years ago.  Prior to that I was teaching martial arts 6 days a week and playing soccer for the NATO soccer team in Norfolk, VA.  I retired from active duty one year later and almost 45 pounds heavier 'thanks' to the meds.  I couldn't do anything because of the dosage of my beta blocker (Sotalol if I remember correctly).  I was miserable - so I quit taking it (not smart), and blew through the meds and started a fibbing again.  My cardiologist switched my meds and I am now on pro-rhythmic meds.  The way he explained was the new meds would keep me in the rhythm I was in, the old meds set my heart in a fixed rhythm (and subsequently set my metabolism.)  Battling meds is a perfect description of what I was going through.

Since going on the new meds (Flecainide plus a very low dose beta blocker (5 mg toprol) I have had a huge improvement in quality of life.  I have been running for the past two years, about 10-30 miles per week, done 8 halfs and more 5 and 10Ks than I can count.  Plus knocked off about 25 of the 45 pounds I gained.   I am now training for my first full marathon and so far have had no heart issues due to running (or anything else).

Talk to your Doc and see if you are a candidate for a pro-rhythmic medicine course.  I'm not sure if Long QT mandates a more aggressive beta blocker course, but if Toursades-de Pointes is the alternative I guess you better stick with it and manage your running as best you can.

Best of luck to you.

• Michael Nall Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 2, 2008
    4. May 12, 2008 5:43 PM (in response to Oscar's MumMum)

I would strongly urge anyone who visits this website and has cardiac issues to visit cardiacathletes.org.  There is much helpful information there as well as very supportive members

• RunTJRun Rookie 5 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    5. May 18, 2008 2:39 PM (in response to Oscar's MumMum)

I have been checked out because I noticed an irregular heartbeat...one facility told me I had mitral valve prolapse and to expect an irregular rhythm periodically.  I got an echo at another facility and they told me it wasn't worth worrying about.  On the two occasions I went to the ED my potassium level was a little low.  I have noticed that I have had palpitations moreso lately and can feel them up into my throat.  I spoke with a friend of mine who is a cardiologist and my concern with running/physical activity and he told me that exercise is probably the best thing I could do because it would help build the collateral circulation within my heart.  If it gets worse I'll get it checked out but in the meantime I'll keep trekking on!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...