Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4504 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2010 8:27 PM by vivi42
Steve_W_88 Rookie 3 posts since
Mar 27, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 13, 2008 9:03 AM

Pain at anterior iliac crest post run??

I have been running about 5 miles on alternate days and biking on the off days. About 3 weeks ago, I didn't do my usual super slow/easy 1/2 mile first and just started my run with out warming up. Yeah, I know.....  Anyway, felt fine through the run. The next morning didn't think I was going to be able to walk. The pain is on the anterior iliac crest back to about the center of the crest , not posterior, and is intense. I layed off for a week and only cycled and had no pain. Then ran an easy 2 miles on a treadmill at the gym and the pain returned full force the  next morning. I have seen a chiro and sports massage guy. No one has been able to specifically diagnose.

Over the years I've had the usual aches and pains running, but this one seems different. Doesn't really bother me after the first 5 minutes of the run. The pain returns about an hour after the run and is pretty intense for the next day as well before subsiding. I can stretch through it (using the feet crossed IT stretch) and it immediately feels better, but if I sit for 30 minutes it is back again.

Anyone experienced this or have any suggestions?

I just don't want to further damage something by ignoring it.

• breznick Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 2, 2008
    1. Aug 16, 2009 7:48 AM (in response to Steve_W_88)
    Re: Pain at anterior iliac crest post run??

I have been having the same problem.

My PT says it is IT band due to weak muscles and I am trying to stretch and strengthen. So far it is still pretty painful

I believe it is my gluteus medius.  Any suggestions???

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. Aug 16, 2009 12:02 PM (in response to Steve_W_88)

does your chiroprator do active release therapy ? if not find a good one who does - I had IT Band issues and he fixed them in 2 visits

Ia lso notice you have no mentioned visiting a doctor - maybe time ?:)

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• vivi42 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 19, 2010
    3. Aug 19, 2010 8:27 PM (in response to Steve_W_88)

I've had an injury for the last 8 months (don't freak out!) in exactly that spot.  just where the TFL joins the hip....

My problem was getting too confident and upping my training on hills - too much, too soon, too fast.  No pain as I was running, I felt fantastic.  Fantastic when I got home....then about an hour later, I felt like I couldn't walk...

I did injure my TFL which takes a long time to heal and much physio....an MRI also showed a very very small labral tear but I was advised that it was so small, it wasn't even contributing to my pain.

When I started, I was unable to run or walk as exercise and was advised against cycling or rowing for cardio because both compression and stretching are BAD.  I stuck to the elliptical trainer (duh boring) but am now walking and even walking fast on inclines so almost mimicking running.

Root cause for me was a weak set of glutes (esp the medial glutes) that simply weren't firing when running so my TFL was basically trying to do the main job of stabilising my hips.

I have a very strong core but not quite so much re my obliques so I am now focussing on lots of strengthening of legs, glutes and obliques and my lower abdominal core to avoid any torsion as i run.

I have been very prone to injuries on my left side when running over the years but at least have now tracked them all down to one root cause that I will continue to address.

It's frustrating to be out of running for so long but I have now started some more high load exercises with the promise of a return to running (slowly) soon.

it's a tough area to treat as you can't really isolate it so it takes time and patience but I've noticed a marked improvement in pain levels, even though I still get pain when sitting for long periods (ie don't as it compresses the tendon for too long).

Not sure if your problem is the same but best of luck with it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...