Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3317 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2008 1:02 PM by Run4choc RSS
happypeachhead Amateur 27 posts since
Oct 30, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 28, 2006 8:23 AM

new runners come here for help

If anyone is new to running and wants advice or questions answered, then post here and experienced XC folks can help you out. I think everyone needs to chill a bit so nothing mean is allowed!

• kjb runner Legend 353 posts since
    Aug 18, 2006
    1. Aug 28, 2006 9:21 AM (in response to happypeachhead)
    Re: new runners come here for help

h...h...how do i run???

• DanTheRunner Pro 112 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 28, 2006 12:26 PM (in response to happypeachhead)

ummm when im tying my shoes.....? should i use one knot or double knot?? i never know

yeah us "inexperienced" xc folks are just fine here

• crlyn Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 31, 2006
    4. Aug 31, 2006 11:59 AM (in response to happypeachhead)

i actually have a real question:

i'm new to xc annd on the home course at my school, there is a very small, skinny trail that it is impossible to pass anybody on.  the first time on it is about 1/3 into the race (you go downhill on it) and the second time on is is about 2/3 into the race (you go uphill on it).  sometimes the person in front of me is holding me up, and i was wondering if i should use up much more energy to get in front of the person ahead of me (so they don't hold me up) or wait until we get to open grounds again to pass them?

• kjb runner Legend 353 posts since
    Aug 18, 2006
    5. Aug 31, 2006 12:59 PM (in response to happypeachhead)

quote:

Originally posted by crlyn:

i'm new to xc annd on the home course at my school, there is a very small, skinny trail that it is impossible to pass anybody on. the first time on it is about 1/3 into the race (you go downhill on it) and the second time on is is about 2/3 into the race (you go uphill on it). sometimes the person in front of me is holding me up, and i was wondering if i should use up much more energy to get in front of the person ahead of me (so they don't hold me up) or wait until we get to open grounds again to pass them?

u can't be a wimp in a cross country race. it's a battle. i've shoved right and left to get in front of a big pack. i've seen kids get punched even but i haven't done that yet. sometimes gotta throw a little elbow into it

we have regular boxing matches after some practices and pasta parties. one kid always brings 2 pairs of boxing gloves so we have showdowns

----

Anyone who can be summed up by a single quote is clearly a simple-minded sun-burned underbelly of a toad.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee[/URL" target="_blank">

• mark capparella Amateur 63 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Aug 31, 2006 1:14 PM (in response to happypeachhead)

Originally posted by crlyn:
    i'm new to xc annd on the home course at my school, there is a very small, skinny trail that it is impossible to pass anybody on. the first time on it is about 1/3 into the race (you go downhill on it) and the second time on is is about 2/3 into the race (you go uphill on it). sometimes the person in front of me is holding me up, and i was wondering if i should use up much more energy to get in front of the person ahead of me (so they don't hold me up) or wait until we get to open grounds again to pass them?

We had a similar spot in my HS X-C course (has it really been 20 years ago now???), and we (as a team) used it to help lengthen leads for our top runners by slowing down in front of the opposition (as you have experienced yourself).  I would recommend using the approach to these areas as a good time to throw in a healthy surge, pass a runner or two, and then slow down (if you want) to recover in this area.  Surging again when your through with that area may give you nice separation from the runners you just passed.  It's great you're thinking in terms of race strategy, as this is one of the more important aspects of good cross-country competition.

• crlyn Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 31, 2006
    7. Aug 31, 2006 1:42 PM (in response to happypeachhead)

quote:

Originally posted by mark capparella:

We had a similar spot in my HS X-C course (has it really been 20 years ago now???), and we (as a team) used it to help lengthen leads for our top runners by slowing down in front of the opposition (as you have experienced yourself). I would recommend using the approach to these areas as a good time to throw in a healthy surge, pass a runner or two, and then slow down (if you want) to recover in this area. Surging again when your through with that area may give you nice separation from the runners you just passed. It's great you're thinking in terms of race strategy, as this is one of the more important aspects of good cross-country competition.

sounds like a good idea. i'll try that strategy out. thanks.

as for kjb runner, i'll throw in a shove or two, but as it is a quaker school, punching is prohibited.  i'm not risking getting kicked off the team.  small school - people see everything. thanks though.

• Zgenator Pro 68 posts since
    Aug 11, 2006
    8. Sep 1, 2006 9:40 PM (in response to happypeachhead)

Thanks for the tip that a XC race is a BATTLE. I had my first XC race yesterday, which was only 2.5 miles not 3k, and I bet I could've gotten a lot better if I wasn't polite and just didn't get a heck.

Man, I actaully thought one time, "If I go past them I'll make them feel bad...I" wtf... I'll use your advice next time, it's a battle, you have to get in front and you have to do it anyway you can.

Also, I started out slow becuase my coach told me to, and so I got caught in  a slow pack. I didn't know the pace I was suppose to go because it was my first race, so I followed them; and at the 1  mile mark I was full of energy and the people around me were huffing and buffing. I then started to go faster but it was too late to catch up to people. Next time I'll start faster because in the beginning I'm less tired so I'll be able to go faster...

• runlifer08 Pro 181 posts since
    Mar 1, 2005
    9. Sep 2, 2006 8:35 PM (in response to happypeachhead)

u know...there is a forum that u just posted in for people w/ questions...

Western States 100 2014...See you there.
  • rjhdph Rookie 2 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    10. May 8, 2008 9:33 AM (in response to runlifer08)

This is a really dumb question, but does anyone have a breathing pattern when it comes to running? I'm doing the C25K plan and read about shallow breating so I started to really take in deep breaths and it wore me out and screwed up my harmonius pattern. It seems as if I work well taking two fast breaths in (along with my steps) and then a longer single breath out.

Any ideas? Also I've had a slight problem with the IP band (I think that is what it is called.) I've rested a few days in between and continue to ice for 20 min after running, but heat at bedtime is good for it??

Any help will be appreciated.

Robin

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    11. May 9, 2008 7:46 AM (in response to rjhdph)

Don't force it. Your body knows how to breathe, let it do its stuff.

As for the IT (IlioTibial) band injury, I feel for you. I had the same issues. Started off as just a pulling sensation in my hips and turned into knee pain. I didn't really do anything to combat it besides doing a bit of (probably ineffectual) stretching after my warmup. It just kind of took care of itself. I think doing cross country skiing helped because it strengthened my hip flexors. Try sitting with your legs crossed whenever you can. It feels like a good stretch to me:P But I think you need to conduct some research of your own. There are bazillions of articles on ITBS (IT Band Syndrome), most of which offer the same message in different words.

• RJHarkins Rookie 37 posts since
    Apr 30, 2008
    12. May 13, 2008 6:52 AM (in response to bruncle)

Thanks! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with this wierd hip pain!

I was also wondering about HR monitors. Are they important to use and where can you get them cheap? I saw them online for well over $100. I don't want to spend that much!

Robin

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    13. May 13, 2008 6:55 PM (in response to RJHarkins)

Not important. Just run at a conversational pace for your easy runs and you'll be fine. Tempo runs are run at a higher intensity - you should be puffing but it's still not an all out effort (should be 85-90%).

• Run4choc Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Jul 10, 2008 1:02 PM (in response to bruncle)

So I have a question. My heart rate goes really high when I run ( but not when I am just hanging out). Like in the low 200's ( highest ever - but it was definately the highest I could stand). When I run a pretty good hill (short but steep) it is in the very high 190's (only short answers and possible glares). A good clip ( but I can still talk) is 185 or so and a nice slow pace is 170. I know my HRM is OK because I switched with someone and got the same readings. You hear about runners in great shape dropping from heart attacks and they are in amazing shape. It is always so shocking and tragic. I am in moderate shape - a little chubby but can hold my own. Should I worry? Oh, I am 38 years old and female.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...