Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3066 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2008 12:05 AM by Guest
Currently Being Moderated

May 4, 2008 8:08 AM

Blacks in softball

As a parent of a black athlete who played this sport since 5 years all the way up through ASA Gold Nationals a few years ago I think we were sold a bunch of Fools Gold!  If you look at the roster of the D!, D2 and NIAIA there are not many black kids on the rosters and for the ones that do have them on the rosters they are usually pinch runners and or OF's.  I thought many years ago that there would be a break through with Natasha at UCLA/Olympics but that was a pipe dream.  With many black girls playing this sport especially ASA travel it is really unfortunate that black girls are not being given a chance to compete at the highest levels of the sport.  Heck you even see morewhite kids playing at Historically Black Colleges!!!  Heck how can you hit over 400 in HS, play on a top Gold team from So Cal and still be over looked??  How can you go across the globe and compete at a JUCO who plays in one of the toughest conferences hit over 300 play stellar defense and continue to be overlooked??? IS it the Color of the Skin....When coaches have you on a priority list Boise State but then tell no money is left for you but you walk on and compete for starting spot and then you read they signed 6 new players?? SEMO does not want to sign a JUCO player and then turns around and signs a kid from our backyard who rarely plays at a JUCO??? What do you tell your kid

• Andre_sp SportsPowerStaff 236 posts since
    Aug 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 7, 2008 11:24 AM (in response to scooter )
    Re: Blacks in softball

I would tell my kid to go to whatever school takes her and prove everyone that looked over that they made a huge mistake in overlooking her very impressive resume.  This story happens all too often, the most you can do is make the best of whatever chances come your way and try to forget the lost ones.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...