Skip navigation

1888 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2008 5:02 PM by omabikeryder RSS
Nicole_Ventrone Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 14, 2008 12:47 AM

What kind of bike? - training for first tri

I am training for my first tri - a sprint coming up in late August - and I am not sure what kind of bike to get.  Of course, when I go to bike stores they tell me I need a fancy schmancy road bike AND a nice mountain bike (I prefer mountain to road biking, but I am training for a road race).  Then I was browsing different types of bikes and I came across touring bikes which seem to be good for long distance and for both on and off road.  I am doing a tri more for personal development than as a competitive race - and honestly, I grew up on mountain bikes and cruisers and I don't feel very confident on a road bike.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what kind of bike I should be looking for?

Thanks!

• MoiraBo Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 25, 2008
    1. May 15, 2008 5:37 AM (in response to Nicole_Ventrone)
    Re: What kind of bike? - training for first tri

What I have been told, and I wish I listened because I am so uncomfortable on my road bike, is that you can get a mountain bike, and put road tires on it, or get a hybrid.  A hybrid might be best if you think you'll be doing a few more bike races, but if you think you'll be back on the mountain bike after the tri - get road tires for it.

Good luck!

(FWIW, I feel like I'm relearning how to ride a bike with the road bike. I hate it.)

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. May 16, 2008 2:20 PM (in response to Nicole_Ventrone)

you can get by with a mtn bike at a tri and use slicks instead of the knobby tires like the previous poster said.  if you get a road or touring bike and don't like tri's you may be stuck with the bike.  you can use the mtn bike for future tri's or off road tri's and graduate to a fancy shmancy bike when you REALLY get addicted to tri's. hope that helps. good luck and have fun

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. May 19, 2008 5:02 PM (in response to Nicole_Ventrone)

You don't have to have a road bike to do a sprint Tri (as already stated).  You also said you were training for a road race?  A bike road race?  If so, then yes, you need a road bike.  A touring bike is a type of road bike, looks the same to most people, built a little heavier, relaxed geometry, triple cranks instead of a double, geared lower, and has threaded mounts for panniers.  Maybe you mean a trail bike, commuter or a hybrid?  If you are already riding a mountain bike, whats the issue with the road bike?  Maybe it doesn't fit you correctly or something, the position is not that different.  My philosphy is you can't have too many bikes.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points