Skip navigation

14430 Views 61 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2008 3:12 PM by staving off decrepitude RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 19, 2008 8:00 AM (in response to DEADOCMIKE)
    Re: MCM First Timer

DEADOCMIKE wrote:

Active duty Navy doctor here. This board will help you reach your goal. I went the distance at last years MCM thanks to some advice from this board. I can't stress enough the imprtance of the long training runs, not just for the physical training. It gave me a psychological advantage (over the course, not other runners) going in htere knowing that I can cover the distance, even it I had to walk it. My longest training run was 26miles (just to see if I could do it).

Every serious runner I know said it was a bad idea (and it hurt, let me tell you) and they are probably right. But, on race day, I knew that I would make it and was able to really enjoy being out there with everyone.

Some people just NEED to know, others consider finding out on race day essential and would feel like a kid who's seen what was in the gift box before a birthday.  For someone with a goal time and no previous marathons, going the distance slowly and far enough ahead of time (five weeks or more?) to allow recovery may give them the psychological boost needed

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    16. May 19, 2008 8:14 AM (in response to Immer treu)

Welcome to the board, David, & thanks for sharing your story.  As I see it, the trouble with running 26 miles in training is that after some point, you increase your risk of injury. If you can run 20 miles and not get injured, it doesn't mean that doing that extra 6 while you're already fatigued isn't going to make you twist an ankle or something. When you run the actual marathon, you've tapered and rested the few weeks beforehand.  If you do 26 in your training, you presumeably haven't done the taper/rest thing and you're muscles will be more tired and stressed.  My husband says that he'd want to run 30 in training to make sure he could do the 26 and to make the 26 seem easier, but of course, he hasn't actually done that, or signed up for a marathon.  It doesn't seem like a great idea to me.  Anyway, have fun running and keep us posted on how it's going.

Chocolate is very nice.
  • x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    18. May 19, 2008 1:12 PM (in response to David Hopper)

And if you think this place is crazy now, Dave, just wait until October when taper time starts.  These people all get a little bit weird(er) once the taper madness strikes.

This is a fun place to be and usually everyone knows your name (or handle) . . . and eventually they'll start calling you Dave instead of David.

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. May 19, 2008 1:22 PM (in response to David Hopper)

Hey, Dave! Just stick with your CRC marathon plan and you'll be fine, Dave.  And if you miss a day or 2, don't stress over it Dave.  It's OK!  You can modify the plan a bit to fit your schedule Dave.  (I may have turned into HAL)

Chocolate is very nice.
  • Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    20. May 19, 2008 1:28 PM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

One angle used by Kenyans, some of us with more years and miles than fast twitch fibers, and several folks I know with prosthetic joints is enjoying off-road running,  letting you do more work with reduced impact forces.  You'll need enough road time to get your feel for running on pavement, but you can do accelerations, hills, recovery runs, shady loops at race pace (a LOT easier than on hot concrete or asphalt in August), or just explore paths and trails for fun.  It usually feels cooler than the pavement , lets your shoes last longer, and generally reduces your exposure to overheated summer drivers.

• JustKeepS Expert 54 posts since
    Feb 14, 2008
    22. May 20, 2008 6:56 PM (in response to David Hopper)

Hi Dave!

I just wanted to say hi and thank you for sharing your story.  Welcome!

I also wanted to let you know that, while I am not an official Buckeye- my 2 year old twins are- born in Columbus in 2006.  We lived up there for 3 years- and moved back to the Washington D.C. area last summer- but will always consider that area our 2nd home.    Of course at the moment, we are still trying to sell our house- so I guess it is literally our 2nd home- but that 's another story.

Congratulations on your decision to train for and run the MCM- you will not regret it.  This board is the best place to find advice, encouragement, support and yes, some very good laughs!

I have two great friends who live in Delaware County, who are planning to run the MCM as well.  They are planning to run the Spirit of Columbus 1/2 too- so maybe you all could meet.

Good luck to you and we'll see you in October!!

Farmgirl

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. May 20, 2008 7:07 PM (in response to JustKeepS)

Hi Dave and Welcome to the Board!!  I just want to warn you that this board is addictive!  I love all of my virtual friends and can't wait to meet them in person!  We are like a family on this board so you can look forward to a lot of support as well as some teasing here and there.  I ran MCM as my first marathon last year.  Here are some things I will do differently when I train for my next marathon:  sleep more, cross train more, and stretch more!!  As a first timer, I think I was a bit obsessed with running the miles.  Balance is important!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... Legend 845 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    24. May 20, 2008 7:19 PM (in response to HALOjen)

Dave,

Welcome to the board!  Congrats on your come back!  As Immer said, go find yourself some nice soft trails to run on...I'll be cheering you on at the base of the 14th St bridge in October.  I'll be the girl you want to hit after you read the sign (hint: you'll be approaching mile 20, and the sign will say "You are NOT almost there yet!").

Lauren

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    25. May 20, 2008 7:24 PM (in response to HALOjen)

curlyj wrote:

Hi Dave and Welcome to the Board!!  I just want to warn you that this board is addictive!  I love all of my virtual friends and can't wait to meet them in person!  We are like a family on this board so you can look forward to a lot of support as well as some teasing here and there.  I ran MCM as my first marathon last year.  Here are some things I will do differently when I train for my next marathon:  sleep more, cross train more, and stretch more!!  As a first timer, I think I was a bit obsessed with running the miles.  Balance is important!

Hahahaha that explains a LOT! I lack it literally and figuratively!

BTW good seeing you today, even though I told you about it I didn't realize that you might be there! (It's been a rough week!)

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    26. May 20, 2008 7:29 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)
    DCtoPgh wrote:

BTW good seeing you today, even though I told you about it I didn't realize that you might be there! (It's been a rough week!)

Good seeing you too!  I have to tell you though that I couldn't see the little 0's on that model until I put my glasses on!!  I hadn't noticed them until you said something.  *sigh*  I refuse to believe that I might get old some day

I'm sorry you have been having a rough week.  As you know if there is anything I can do, I am just a phone call or short 10 minute walk through Oakland.  You are one smart cookie!  Bad weeks will come and go so just hang in there!!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    27. May 20, 2008 7:38 PM (in response to HALOjen)
    curlyj wrote:

Good seeing you too!  I have to tell you though that I couldn't see the little 0's on that model until I put my glasses on!!  I hadn't noticed them until you said something.  *sigh*  I refuse to believe that I might get old some day

I'm sorry you have been having a rough week.  As you know if there is anything I can do, I am just a phone call or short 10 minute walk through Oakland.  You are one smart cookie!  Bad weeks will come and go so just hang in there!!

Um yeah, so I didn't have a chance to read more than 5 pages of the first article so apparently my visual acuity is my saving grace

And thanks... it's a crazy week but I know it's just that... a crazy week. And Chris is scheduled to be home Thursday which will be wonderful and my crazy weekend where I have four flights to three states in 48 hours for a wedding and a graduation (stopping back in Pittsburgh in between) will be over Sunday at noon (I hope).

(Sorry I hijacked your thread, Dave!)

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• jinja Expert 42 posts since
    Jul 22, 2007
    28. May 20, 2008 7:41 PM (in response to David Hopper)

I ran my first marathon in March of this year.  I have already signed up for the MCM and am really looking forward to it.  I was really worried going into my first marathon, ING Atlanta, because I didn't know what to expect, and was afraid my 45 year old body would give out before the finish.  My training was spotty, as I work full time and have 4 kids, plus I trained alone and didn't really have a running support group.  I think that my Sunday long runs were my saving grace.  I would run 4-6 miles 4 days a week, rest on Saturday, and run for 2 to 2 1/2 hours on Sundays.  I skipped a few of the long runs due to kids soccer games that I couldn't miss, but ran fairly consistently for a couple of months.  Two weeks before the marathon, I ran 18 miles, and then ran very little leading up to the big day.  I expected to finish the marathon in about 5 1/2 hours and was totally thrilled with my 4:48:16 finish time at the ING. I really wasn't too sore afterwards either.  I think that the long runs, and resting for at least a week before the race were very helpful to me.  Another thing I would recommend is to alternate gatorade and water at each aid station.  Good luck at the MCM!  Your story is very inspirational and I am sure you have already made your wife and children very proud regardless of your marathon outcome.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...