Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

266622 Views 1,829 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2008 10:05 AM by michaelmack33 Go to original post 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 Previous Next
  • DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,785. May 21, 2008 6:31 AM (in response to NHSenior)
    Re: The iPod conflict brews in racing

I thought about ignoring this, but you seem the type who thrives on the apathy of others.

Let me tell you about me, Mr. Condescending. In my life I have been a chemical engineer, a salesman, a college athlete, and am currently an active duty Navy physician who trained under some of the most eminent physicians in the world, twice-published, husband of an extremely intelligent (and discerning, I might add) woman and father of three.

I have known some very knowledgeable, humble and intelligent people who understood leadership. I have also known some egregiously self-important blowhards who are in love with rules because they lack the mental agility to think creatively and are in love with the sound of their own voice (or the sound of their own typing) because they are afraid that no one listens or values their opinions. I'll let you guess which one you fall under.

I haven't run in many races, but I have yet to have anyone (actually save you) make a stink about iPods. Are you mad about being irrelevent? Upset that no one else in the running world seems to agree or care? Is that why you resort to name calling?

Perhaps you are angry that people on this board make fun of you. Or perhaps you yearn for even this small amount of interaction, as your offline personality is too odious for anything deeper.

All I can tell you is this: in an age where obesity is epidemic and children don't get enough exercise, attempting to enforce such rules for such a fun and rewarding activity could decrease the participation. Much like Schrodinger's cat, as long as this rule stays unenforced, you can believe that running would be the better for it, and most others can believe that it would be the worse. But if you open the box, if you enforce such a rule, the cat might be alive, or it might be dead. I am glad that you aren't in a position to make that decision, as I suspect you have many a metaphorical dead cat in your wake.

• Leemoe Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 5, 2007
    1,786. May 21, 2008 6:53 AM (in response to DEADOCMIKE)

I couldn't care less whether they enforce the ipod ban.  I don't wear one, and have been run into in larger races by those wearing them but I can deal with that.  But I do have to agree with the writer previous to DEADOCMIKE, about his comments.  You make a lot of assumptions without facts.  And who cares that you're a CE, salesman, doctor, navy whatever ad nauseam?

• nikeRdrunner79 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    1,787. May 21, 2008 7:13 AM (in response to Leemoe)

i just ran the cleveland marathon on sunday.  they stated in the rules no headphones allowed.  there was even an article regarding the no headphones publicized in the cleveland plain dealer that people should get used to running with out them for the marathon.  that was the most that they tried to enforce anything from happening as THOUSANDS had headphones on. There was no incident to be found.   let's be clear NHSenior, you can blow your own horn all you want about this issue, but it's not going to stop the fact that i'll be running a race with headphones on and laughing while i pass you up.     the only incident i can foresee is that you are going to keep on making posts on here with assumptions of safety & rules with no backing of them at all. 

Find me a recorded incident where someone has been injured at a race because of wearing headphones.  NAME ONE!  And then find me the recorded information of people getting injured in a race WITHOUT HEADPHONES.  It would be interesting to see what you find. 

Jul 9, 2007
    1,788. May 21, 2008 7:35 AM (in response to Leemoe)

The reason I put that in there, is because, when dealing with unreasonable people who sit perched atop their high horse and make pronouncements, it is always nice to put one's own comments and oneself in perspective. Also, he called me "Mr. Rocket Scientist" casting aspursions toward my intelligence, therefore I felt the need to put my pedigree on there, to stave off any more assumption that because I disagreed with him, I was of lesser intellect.

And, I also took a class on aerospace engineering in college, so, while I am not a rocket scientist, I did study a little rocket science.

So nyahhhh and thpthpthppppp.

EDITED TO ADD:

That last part was joke.

• NHSenior Legend 387 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    1,789. May 21, 2008 7:47 AM (in response to DEADOCMIKE)

<<<< Also, he called me "Mr. Rocket Scientist" casting aspursions toward my intelligence

Being intelligent has never been a guarantee that people's "Its' all about ME" selfish nature won't be the driving force when those people have an agenda. In your case, "I want to run with my headphones  and I will do so even if I have to sully my own honor by knowingly signing a race waiver (agreement) which forbids the use of a banned devices."

As a race manager I have a responsibility to the runners, the rest of the race committee, the sponsoring and/or managing organization and the city or town in which an event is staged, to not put any of them in harms way either physically or financially if I can knowingly do something to mitigate potential risks. Headphones are distracting regardless of the venue and you know it. If you don't, god help us as you go about your daily work.

Does your selfish cause to wear headphones outweigh that of a greater scope? I hope you don't bring your logic to work with you.

• parkerand susan Legend 363 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    1,790. May 21, 2008 8:05 AM (in response to DEADOCMIKE)

Hello boys and girls....Batman has responded to the Bat signal...seems the Ipod Nazi has goose stepped into Gotham in his hooded sheet for more punishment and humilation..Apparantly DeadocMike is more than happy to give it to him...the Professor and Team Ipod should be along shortly to sweep up the dried up crumbs of this dense but fragile loaf of fruitcake ignorance...

And although our souless NH is certainly highly opioniated, all but equally IQ challenged..he can still string many ill prepared, grammer damaged, verbally childlike sentences together sufficiently to make any intelligent human find him instantly detestable and surprisingly clueless..His boring and tuneless song is always the same ..but what a recognizably consistent talent! He's the Clay Aiken of Know Nothingness....

Not unlike Lazerus, who palled around with NH in 30 B.C, our serial blogging bonehead has once again risen from his Uni a Bomber stupor for a few poorly worded New Hampshire pearls of nit'dom and unbidden advice on how to live life.. Can there be a more annoyingly dated, uneducated, right wing, newfangled cars frighten the horses, Archie Bunkerish, old naysayer in existence? Rhetorical question!

And NH's cherry on top of his personallity split is.. he's so obviously socially dysfunctional to the degree that intelligent discourse is only a spring board for his blockhead inablity to accept that this Ipod issue is a lost cause, there's no issue outside the dark rat infested cavern of his tiny mind..he simply substitutes Ipods for his desire to rant and rave about law breakers and hippies and how this world has gone to **** since that box with moving pictures...he's a civil war buff still sick with peace and ranting the South will rise again, we could have won IF....except his solitary war is with liberal whippersnappers and free thinkers who accept change and new ideas and can let slavery and bumps and lane changes in a race go by without murder...and he insults those who actually run and enjoy life's bounties instead of spending hours typing out  for anyone who will read it "I am a cantankerous malcontent, and not too bright.. will some one acknowledge that please! "

Jul 9, 2007
    1,791. May 21, 2008 8:26 AM (in response to parkerand susan)

Can I get an AMEN?!

Oct 17, 2007
    1,792. May 21, 2008 8:32 AM (in response to DEADOCMIKE)

'And, I also took a class on aerospace engineering in college, so, while I am not a rocket scientist, I did study a little rocket science.

So nyahhhh and thpthpthppppp._ EDITED TO ADD: _That last part was joke."

Ok Deadocmike...I'll give you your esoteric Schrodingers cat ..*see below..but it doesn't take Enstein or a rocket scientist to determine that was not a joke..not even out on the curve of the universe is that funny...Your in charge of cat allegories ..Batman does humour....

*Schrödinger's famous thought experiment poses the question: when does NHSenior stop existing as a mixture of psychotic states and become nutty as a Snickers Bar? The purpose of the thought experiment is to illustrate this apparent paradox: our intuition says that no observer can be in a mixture of states, yet it seems only NH can be such a mixture. Is NH required to be an observer, or does his existence in a single well-defined classical state require another external observer? Each alternative seemed absurd to Batman and Albert Einstein.

Jul 9, 2007
    1,793. May 21, 2008 8:37 AM (in response to parkerand susan)

You are one odd dude. Funny, but odd.

Oct 17, 2007
    1,794. May 21, 2008 8:53 AM (in response to DEADOCMIKE)

"Odd is in the head of the beholder"..

This forum has been in existience for quite some time..NH has taken the leash from the hook and taken his yippy ignorance for a walk in this neighborhood many times.. and folks like myself and Team Ipod have gone behind with intellignt ziplocks and cleaned up the mess this nasty critter leaves behind whereever he types..it's our little contribution to Eco Smart blogging...while some might find us to be off point occasionally ..we take a small amount of pride in maintaining our sanity and humanity with brief digressions to cleanse our pallete of the bitter aftertaste of NH...enjoy dismantling him at your leisure...we do ..

• lahrunner Pro 103 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    1,795. May 21, 2008 9:09 AM (in response to DEADOCMIKE)

DeadOcMike - Your perfect description of NoHeartSenior inspired me to jump back in the game....especially since our fearless (yes, but odd) leader - Bat Dude Parker - has returned! 

I stopped engaging with the ol' crab apple pages ago, but will support others that go up against his inane, tyrannical ramblings.  (Oh no!  His hateful regurgitations will now be directed at me!  Help, Batman!)  As you can see, Dead,  NotHuman doesn't play fair and is severly challenged in the social skills department. 

Now where is the Prof. and Runner Chick'en........

DEADOCMIKE wrote:

I have known some very knowledgeable, humble and intelligent people who understood leadership. I have also known some egregiously self-important blowhards who are in love with rules because they lack the mental agility to think creatively and are in love with the sound of their own voice (or the sound of their own typing) because they are afraid that no one listens or values their opinions. I'll let you guess which one you fall under.

I haven't run in many races, but I have yet to have anyone (actually save you) make a stink about iPods. Are you mad about being irrelevent? Upset that no one else in the running world seems to agree or care? Is that why you resort to name calling?

Perhaps you are angry that people on this board make fun of you. Or perhaps you yearn for even this small amount of interaction, as your offline personality is too odious for anything deeper.

• Leemoe Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 5, 2007
    1,796. May 21, 2008 9:17 AM (in response to parkerand susan)

"Team Ipod have gone behind with intellignt ziplocks"

Away's a bad sign to mis-spell intelligent when you're trying to show people how intelligent you are. 

Jul 9, 2007
    1,797. May 21, 2008 9:22 AM (in response to Leemoe)

Glad to see you chime in with helpful tidbits like that.

Oct 17, 2007
    1,798. May 21, 2008 9:25 AM (in response to lahrunner)

Never Fear, Sweet Nell !!..here I come to save the day! Batty Dude is on the way!..

To say Bat dude has missed your pen pal scribes would be blasphemous undrestatement my black toed wonder.So good of you to join us in our merriment and occasional rough but fair spanking of our ill behaved child Not Human Senior. The Olympic Torch has been kindled...the villagers seek the monster on the Cybernet Moors....

Oct 17, 2007
    1,799. May 21, 2008 9:36 AM (in response to Leemoe)

Well Well...eloquently put Leemoe...I stand chaste and well taken apart by your rapier like notice of correct spelling..why punch spell check when we have you..hope your not busy cause we'll need you to check spelling on future postings..NH should keep you quite busy....perhaps your reread and proofing of the Constitution could put that silly document of novelty ideas back to the proof bin for better penmanship and speeling (sic)...seems in your world spelling supercedes the commmunicated idea ..if I add the "e" does the content get more clearer to you so you can respond to the opinion and suppositions?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...