Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

266682 Views 1,829 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2008 10:05 AM by michaelmack33 Go to original post 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 Previous Next
  • Leemoe Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 5, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,800. May 21, 2008 9:48 AM (in response to parkerand susan)
    Re: The iPod conflict brews in racing

More a point about you trying to show how smart you are than me spell checking.  Much more than that was wrong with the grammar and spelling, but it's just funny to me that people who have to tell me how smart they are can't put together a simple sentence, and divert themselves from the point of the thread.

• DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1,801. May 21, 2008 10:10 AM (in response to Leemoe)

Boy, I bet you proof-read the heck out of that before you hit "post message."

Did you delurk to spell check people, or are you on one side or the other of this debate?

In terms of iPod use, would you:

A: Not run in a race that said "no ipods" because those are the rules

B: Run in said race, without using an iPod because those are the rules.

C: Run in said race with an iPod and hide it until it starts, because you are a closet rebel.

D: Run is said race with the iPod prominently displayed, because you feel it is a stupid rule with zero effect on your or other's enjoyment of the race.

God I hope I didn't misspell any of the above, risking disapprobation from Leemoe, Overlord of Spellcheck land.

Oct 5, 2007
    1,802. May 21, 2008 10:14 AM (in response to DEADOCMIKE)

See, that's my point.  You didn't read what I said about the "iPod conflict."  I already answered those questions.

• parkerand susan Legend 363 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    1,803. May 21, 2008 10:20 AM (in response to Leemoe)

Come in Planet Leemoe ..upon which this small internet world orbits..In your 3rd well researched post you have taken it upon yourself to make several assumptions..

1. that I am smart  2. that I care that you think I am smart 3. that I am addressing you personally with each of my posts and i.e. await your storied opinion on it's content and grammar 4. that I am diverted from the point of this thread.

My asssumptions (sic) are as follows..1. you have very little in the way of articulated ideas to offer this discussion..so you chose to lurk the edges as a young hall monitor and counterpunch the ideas with only your opinion 2. you are missing the point of this thread and have'nt don your homework beyond your one simplistic post.. ..please review the archives of this thread and my 300 subsequent posts and a thousand more to get the point..this thread exists because Team Ipod has breathed life into it when boring malcontents and senior know nothings and clueless opinionators killed it with vitriolic 400 hundred word rantings that made absolutly no sense to anyone but themselves... feel free to use your valuable time to correct any misspelling on those asssumptions Mr. Spell Check..

Oct 17, 2007
    1,804. May 21, 2008 10:24 AM (in response to DEADOCMIKE)

Heh Deadocmike..I think you misspelled your name...shouldn't that be Deaddocmike? please correct and sign in again as no one can understand a thing your writing...

Oct 5, 2007
    1,805. May 21, 2008 10:33 AM (in response to parkerand susan)

"Come in Planet Leemoe ..upon which this small internet world orbits..In your 3rd well researched post you have taken it upon yourself to make several assumptions..

1. that I am smart 2. that I care that you think I am smart 3. that I am addressing you personally with each of my posts and i.e. await your storied opinion on it's content and grammar 4. that I am diverted from the point of this thread."

1. I never made nor ever will make that assumption! 2. See number 1. 3. Never made that assumption, although clearly you are addressing me by name in this one. 4. That one is shown by your posting, no need to make assumptions when the facts are posted.

• nikeRdrunner79 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    1,806. May 21, 2008 10:42 AM (in response to Leemoe)

i'm still wearing my ipod & headphones   what sucks is i have to get a new nike+ sensor as they made it so there are no replacement batteries for the sensor.....just another marketing way to make more money....oh wait a second come to think about it....for all we know nike met with the usatf and decided hey let's draw more attention to running and ipod to stir sales... thus the ban on them to create more interest.  all of us runners have rebel in us.  how many "normal" people do you know who enjoy going for a 20 mile run on a weekend afternoon....Pre was a rebel as well.  PRE LIVES and so DOES MUSIC in RACES

Oct 17, 2007
    1,807. May 21, 2008 10:48 AM (in response to Leemoe)

Whatever....I rest this pointless case and motion for a directed verdict from the jury..

Your honor.. I currently observe Mr. Spell Check and NHSenior share a kismet of brothers in arms and lack crediblity before the court...both having the nannie nannie boo boo whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you gene. If it please the court the state asks that defendant Leemoe have an original idea or factual argument and to set it free.... otherwise the state asks that defendant do homework and ignore any postings that he/she might disagree with or find to funny to handle....

• DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1,808. May 21, 2008 10:51 AM (in response to parkerand susan)

"LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Oct 5, 2007
    1,809. May 21, 2008 10:55 AM (in response to parkerand susan)

"Whatever....I rest this pointless case and motion for a directed verdict from the jury.."

A directed verdict comes from the judge, not the jury.  However, I do agree this is pointless.  Feel free to take the last word.

Oct 17, 2007
    1,810. May 21, 2008 11:07 AM (in response to Leemoe)

Verdict come from the reading jury on this thread who eventually find you have a new thought , idea or an informed and passionate opinion or just like to run...up to this point you have displayed none of those.  your intellignce (sic) hasn't been threatened...just your ablitiy to write anything of interest.

Oct 17, 2007
    1,811. May 21, 2008 11:19 AM (in response to Leemoe)

Directed verdict---A decision by a judge or [jury|http://www.nolo.com/definition.cfm/term/A995B7AA-5395-480B-BCE29DC73BB73103] that a [defendant|http://www.nolo.com/definition.cfm/term/C7AAE585-A77F-427D-93BD818074D23699] in a criminal case is not guilty of a crime. An acquittal is not a finding of innocence; it is simply a conclusion that the prosecution has not proved its case.

• Runner Chick'en Pro 145 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    1,812. May 21, 2008 3:45 PM (in response to lahrunner)

Did you miss me Lah?  I know NH did, in fact he missed us all so much he had to start posting again!  I hope all is going well for you and Team Ipod!  I ran my first 25k last weekend, it was amazing.  I have had some major problems with Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot so the last five miles were painful but fear not, my Ipod was duly hooked up and rocking me to the end.  The feeling I got crossing that finish line was amazing, I am still smiling   Now I am working on getting healthy again.  I bought a Strassburg sock which has helped greatly.  I had a great 5 miler this morning, very fast, so I think I am on the mend!  How has everyone else been doing?  Come on, fill Runner Chick'en in!

• Jeff McMahon Amateur 23 posts since
    Mar 25, 2008
    1,813. May 27, 2008 12:00 PM (in response to Active Toby)

Wow!   A number of arguments for and against the wonders of running "iPod!" 

Hmmm...well, for one, as it regards safety, one reply notes that golfers are not prohibited from wearing them.  Okay...but how likely is a golfer to run out in front of a car because he isn't listening?

Others regard the safety issue as bogus.  I have to beg to differ, as would the handful of folks I've grabbed by the arm before they lurched out to cross a street in front of perhaps the same cars as above.

Chicago last year was certainly extreme - countless cries and instructions being shouted at runners during its frightening chaos...and many of those warnings unheeded and unheard.  How many of these folks were found in medical tents later because they didn't hear the warnings ahead?  Who knows?

I don't wear 'em and won't.  I've just been a part of the bullet-dodging too many times...and for me, I'd rather you finish the run with me that we started together.

Run strong...McMahon

• Runner Chick'en Pro 145 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    1,814. May 27, 2008 11:43 AM (in response to Jeff McMahon)

In the races I have run, I have yet to see any problems.  I think that if you don't think they are safe then you shouldn't run with one.  I on the other hand have never had any problems with any other Ipod racers/runners nor have I caused any problems so I will continue to run with mine.  I was amazed at how many were wearing headphones during a 25k I recently ran.  I didn't see any problems nor did I hear of any.  I thought everyone was respectful of their fellow runners, headphones or not, and thus everyone had a great experience.  Until I actually see some problems myself I cannot, in all good conscience, support a ban on Ipods in races.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...